SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#144744 - 04/08/01 04:24 PM Re: 9000Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hi Tony,
I had a Kn6500 here for a few days last week, and while I did like many things, there were a few "impossible" workarounds for me.
1) The simple finger mode did not allow me to trigger a minor chord with just the root and the third. I always played bass with my left hand, and while I'm not a "monster" player, I'm pretty good at the rhythm thing - I have no desire to learn the three finger left hand technique required to play the "fingered" mode, and i WILL NOT learn a new system that involves a contradiction to the theory of chord structures ! Who ever thought up the method to use "any old black key" to the left of the root for a minor??? That's just wrong....and weird.
2) The feel of the keys is just like all the other arrangers.....EXCEPT the 9000 pro. That's a new "pet peeve" for me. I MUST have a good, solid feel. The Kn5000/6000/6500 all feel the same to me. Sort of mushy and light, just like the PSR9000 and the EM2000. I was so happy to finally play a board that I can "dig into" that I am taking a major plunge on a "NO SPEAKER" unit. It goes against everything I love, but I'm trying to widen my scope of understanding in this matter.
3)If you strip away the arranger from all of the top keyboards.... which one would you like to play? My choice is the 9000pro - by a landslide. The kn stuff and the psr stuff would never sell as a pro keyboard/synth without the gingerbread, so that's my new criteria for "fun factor" They all perform well as arrangers - I want a board that I like to PLAY, and I MAY have found it.
"We shall see, shan't we?"
(any one that identifies THAT movie quote will be my hero !)
I played today in a smaller venue with a house PA - so it was OK. I used my Core Systems (144watt hot spot)and I was fine. Not thrilled, but fine.
Thanx for all the time and responses - this is a major change in direction for me, but I'm giving it a shot. The worst thing that will happen is - I'll keep the 9000p at home for studio use only. Not a bad compromise!

#144745 - 04/08/01 07:57 PM Re: 9000Pro
Clif Anderson Offline

Quote:
Who ever thought up the method to use "any old black key" to the left of the root for a minor??? That's just wrong....and weird.

Oddly enough it "may" have been Yamaha. At least my PSR8000 uses this "single-finger mode". I guess if you do not know what a minor third is, it might be useful when using a fake book. I personally cannot use this mode. Is this what the Technics does? Do the PSR9000 and 9000Pro foresake this?

The only other arranger (or quasi-arranger) I have is the Karma. It is unusual, I think, in that it "recognizes" a chord no matter what you play with one finger or twenty. Obviously, there is no "chord cancel" function as there is on the Yamahas.

#144746 - 04/08/01 08:34 PM Re: 9000Pro
Jupiter5 Offline

Hi Dave.

Yes, this one finger chord stuff - Isn't that supposed to be on arranger keyboards to get beginners started?. I've never used this feature (real chord seem easier to play to me!)

As for the Yamaha being better without arranger features - like a keyboard you can "play", well, I have a 88 key Piano at home (and will midi it up to the Kn6500 when it comes) - so this is irrelevent to me - as i don't play out anyway. I will be using my K6500 for home entertainment, sequencing, and composing. you most certainly don't need 76 keys for that. I just jump accross on to the other stool in the living room if I want to play on my piano. Also, the way the keys feel on the Yamaha 9000 are irrelevent too, but it would be nice to have when using the excellent Pianist mode that the KN6500 has to offer. So with the 88 note piano at my disposal, and the 61 key KN6500 - I have what I need I think - until, maybe, a KN7000 is launched in Germany next year.

Not a clue what movie you are talking about Dave, but The "Daleks", and (a coincidence?)Uncle Tom's Cabin have similar quotes...

I may get the Yamaha YST50 speakers for the KN6500 - that will make it sound better. These where the ones used during the Demonstration I was given, and when I played as well

Tony

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 04-08-2001).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online