Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#144597 - 07/08/02 06:36 PM Yamaha TYROS
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Here is a picture of the Yamaha TYROS:

Here is an excerpt from a preliminary brochure Yamaha sent to me today:

"Even before hearing TYROS, the innovative, functional, and beautiful design indicates that this is something quite new. Armed with Yamaha's new Mega Voice technology, the hallmark of TYROS is stunningly realistic sounds, compete with physical characteristics of the sampled instrument.
Most digital keyboards can play back a recorded sample of a guitar. However, the guitar is a dynamic instrument and can sound quite different depending upon how, and by whom, it's being played. Pick noise, string noise and other natural characteristics occur with different playing styles, and are lost in most digital keyboards. Yamaha's Mega Voice technology returns the missing elements to produce a sound that is unrecognizable from the original.
As advanced as this keyboard is, TYROS is easy to use. A large music database, called Music Finder, sets up the entire keyboard when you simply select the song title. In addition, all operations have been simplified through the direct access function, one-touch settings, and a huge full color screen.
A video output allows TYROS to display lyrics from a MIDI song file through a projector or directly into a TV monitor.
.61-Note portable keyboard
.New MegaVoice technology complete with the physical characteristics of sampled instruments.
.Built in digital audio system with several different formats for speakers
.Control surfaces designed for high visibility in low light environments
.Digital mixer
.Microphone input, vocal harmonizer
.Huge adjustable color display
.Pitch bend and nmod wheels: aftertouch
.GM compatibility
.USB computer connections
.Large Music Finder database
.126 note polyphony
.Direct access, one-touch settings, and on-screen guidance for quick settings changes
.Help screens in 6 languages"

This is what I received today in the mail and thought I'd pass it along to the club!

George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 07-08-2002).]
(Retired 2021)

#144598 - 07/08/02 06:46 PM Re: Yamaha TYROS
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The Tyros looks and seems quite impressive on paper! I hope it performs as advertised, and that they properly test the OS before releasing it... Yamaha really has a chance with this keyboard. Now all they have to do is give it the support like they do for their flagship "Motif"

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-08-2002).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#144599 - 07/08/02 07:18 PM Re: Yamaha TYROS
asena Offline

Loc: Malmoe
Hello GK.
Tnx 4 the info about Tyros.What means Tyros???Jus wondering!
I heave a question!Hope that you can help.
I found a yamaha psr 9000 in anons it will cost 1600:-usd.
I found a Korg pa-80 1350usd used but like new.
I ,m confused whic is the best buy.I had a 9000pro 1 year ago but the os maked me crazy when i played on a big consert in Malmoe (Blank svreen)Guru meditation!!!& I had no system disks!To replace os again so i could not explain to people that the 9000 pro is a god KB but its not finished yet!!!All people loked at me as i was a joker!
This maked me to decide buy another KB a WK 8 se.I know you may se the difference but thrust me when i got the WK i was lucky.It was workin triffic.Souns not so god but styles RASS & saple compatibility WHHAAAOO!
(IHOPE THE NEW GENESY)Is better!
So after all this mess what can you tel me my friend what can i do.Shud i buy the 9000,or pa-80 or just wait the tyros&Genesy!Please give me a helping hand & idea!
Tnx again & sory my english!
Tnx all friends world over!

#144600 - 07/08/02 08:09 PM Re: Yamaha TYROS
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Great job, George.
Tks for all.
My regards,
Chico

#144601 - 07/08/02 09:19 PM Re: Yamaha TYROS
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Asena,

Tyros is greek for beginner or a new begining. I guess Yamha is indicating a new breed of Keyboard.

Since the Tyros and the Genesys are probably much better keybords then the ones currently, the answer is easy: wait and see
Plus often you get a good deal on the older model when a new KB comes on the market.

The Genesys will be out soon. The Tyros probably by the end of the year or early next year ( if Yamaha is doing what they have been doing )

Regarding the blank display, it is really no problem, since nothing else happens and you can finish your song. You just have to pull up another screen, like a voice or the mixing console to restore the screen.
Anoying maybe yes, but no problem during a song.

Hope this helps.

Eric

#144602 - 07/09/02 01:44 AM Re: Yamaha TYROS
technicsplayer Offline

"a sound that is unrecognizable from the original" ? you can't recognise the sample as being that from a guitar?

let us hope that what they really meant was a sound indistinguishable from the original.

have they used physical modelling or are they just trying to imply they have? it could read that they just have multisamples for hard and soft playing. the mystery deepens...

#144603 - 07/09/02 02:14 AM Re: Yamaha TYROS
Clif Anderson Offline

The exemplary parameters are string noise and pick noise. I wonder how many of us would choose these as the parameters we would most like to control. These noise parameters could be controlled with velocity. The technology could be velocity-switched samples or physical modeling of certain sound components mixed with samples.

It doesn't sound like we will be emulating bluezy lead guitars or sax parts as on Harlem Nocturne with the Tyros. Also, I wonder if the Tyros will support Yamahas plug-in cards?

#144604 - 07/09/02 06:19 AM Re: Yamaha TYROS
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Hi all, I'm new here. I noticed on the Tyros promo that to accomodate the tilting music display, Yamaha has put the music stand on some sort of risers. My guess is that it's about four inches or so off the top off the keyboard. So if you play facing your audience, you better use a seperate music stand or you'll be completely hidden from view. Also, I think we can expect Yamaha to hype as many features as they can on their promo, so the obvious things that have been not mentioned so far and likely left off of the Tyros would be multiple assignable outputs, expansion card compatibility, sampling, and possibly some of the "pro" features from the 9000 Pro such as lo-z mic input and gooseneck lamps (too bad we haven't seen the back of the Tyros yet). One scary omission: what about XG compatibility ? That's not always a given with Yamaha. No mention yet of digital recording outputs on the Tyros for studio users either, which the 9000 Pro was criticized in reviews for not having. The list price of the Tyros will be considerably less than the 9000 or the 9000 Pro (which makes you wonder why Yamaha would shoot itself in the foot by announcing the Tyros when the 9000-series is still on the market) so the possibility that this is repackaged technology looms large.

#144605 - 07/09/02 06:26 AM Re: Yamaha TYROS
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Welcome Pro!
Good points. You always have to read between the lines with Yamaha.
They probably haven't shown the back of it because it is not yet in final form.
DonM

#144606 - 07/09/02 06:50 AM Re: Yamaha TYROS
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Maybe the guys at synthplanet have a picture of the back .
No XG listed is a little unusual . XG voices / sweet sounds ?

What is on the floor in the picture ? Subwoofer ?

dano

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online