SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#144097 - 01/05/05 04:09 PM Yeah Oh on the psr2000
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
The PSR2000 ain't dead yet.. I did this tune over the holiday... Think it turned out pretty well
"Yeah OH" http://www.soundclick.com/pro/default.cfm?BandID=208418&content=music
Anyway, I was telling Tony W on the other thread that I took a diffrent approach and recorded small sections each night.. Then recorded them with a vocal... Next day I deleted or added, or redid it... Week later I think I got one of my better tunes at least music wize...
All done on the Psr2000 real time.
And vocals as well going through the 2000 to a mixer to the computer where I used audition for wave edit...
Thanks for the listen, or for just looking..
DJ

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 01-06-2005).]

#144098 - 01/05/05 04:45 PM Re: Yeah Oh on the psr2000
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Great sounding tune!

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#144099 - 01/05/05 11:53 PM Re: Yeah Oh on the psr2000
beachbum Offline

thanks for the thumbs up Mike... Still learning more and more about this board..

#144100 - 01/07/05 05:25 PM Re: Yeah Oh on the psr2000
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
HI DJ,
Apologies that it took me so long to get to listen to this..... I seem to be always on the back foot these days.

Anyway, I really enjoyed your song. I had imagined that (because of the methods you empoloyed writing it) that the song would somehow be fragmented. However it flows really well.

What style did you use as the basis for the backing. The recording quality is very good and well levelled out. Your vocals are getting much more 'confident' as well compared to some of your earlier stuff.

I really enjoyed the instrumental break leading to the 'round and round you go' part and then was very impressed by the overdub on to the next section. Very nice!

The 'manic' strings toward the end were excellent. Really add to the concept of the song, I was almost 'round and round' toward the end.

I think this to be one of your best works to date.

Now I would really like to hear you write a soft ballad. I know I have said this before but I really do think that your voice would lend itself to that really well. You have some (enviable) lung power but I really think that what lies underneath would surprise the masses!

Excellent work DJ .... keep em coming and I just may employ your writing technique if this is the result
Very best wishes my friend
Tony

#144101 - 01/07/05 06:08 PM Re: Yeah Oh on the psr2000
Bob Wheeler Offline

Loc: Overland Park, Kansas USA
I really enjoyed the tune. Thanks for sharing!

Bob

#144102 - 01/07/05 11:04 PM Re: Yeah Oh on the psr2000
beachbum Offline

Thanks Tony & Bob for the listen, and nice words...

Tony: The Style is 8 Beat2 in the rock & pop styles... The intro was done when I discovered by holding the break botton down and switching cords it gave it that sound then hiting the fill 3 and off into the song...( The into's and ending buttons are way to busy for me) When I said I did a bit at a time I meant I constructed the sound day by day... I kept a recording of what I did on the keyboard as well as recording it to the computer... So the next day I would forget what I was doing the night before... So I'd listen to what I had then build upon it, or trashed parts I didn't like... And in a week I had the song... Then, as I always do I had to play it real time... Just the breaks and fills along with the piano part, cause I have to record the whole thing without messing up... Then I added the strings, then I added a Guitar in the break and the "Oh" chorus for the wacky lead... Another thing I did was not to sit in a dark corner when trying to write the lyrics... I would play the sound over and over and see what comes up... I don't think the "around and around" part would have been done if I didn't use this method... Anyway, we're all trying to learn and get better... As for Ballad, I'm giving one a try... However, if you click on that link I teamed up with vinnie and sung and wrote the lyric's to "Velda's eyes" which might do as a ballad... 2 years and still not done with the 2000

Thanks again guys,
DJ

#144103 - 01/08/05 07:16 AM Re: Yeah Oh on the psr2000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
DJ, Finally had a chance to listen to your latest song creation. My favorite of yours by far, with it's infectiously 'catchy' rhythm, melody & lyrics. I'm particularly impressed with the live sound of the snare & toms on your intro. DJ, I think your voice is nicely developing into your own sound. Nice swireling instrumental mix on the solo too to highlight your "round and round you go' lyrics . . . . good use of prosody.

I'm sure you already know what a stickler I've always been with vocal diction and being able to understand the words. Hey afterall, why include lyrics if you can't understand them, right? I hear a lot of growth in your vocal delivery & style and think you're now coming into your own with your own individually unique sound (though its obvious you were heavily influenced by Sting's sound I'm sure ). Though I'm able to (almost) fully comprehend your lyrics, I would prefer to hear them a tad more clearly & easily as this song imho is a real winner. I really look forward to adding this one to my iPod and playing it on my car stereo and go CRUSING! - Scott

#144104 - 01/08/05 07:44 PM Re: Yeah Oh on the psr2000
beachbum Offline

Hey Scott, Thanks for listening and nice feedback... I've always wanted to use the intro and ending buttons on the keyboard... However, they've always sounded to busy and never went with the tune once I started playing. I use the break and fill button's now... I think your right about my own style I think this CD project is helping me to delvelope my own thing... And really starting to understand how to record... Speaking of Ipod! I don't have one but have a PocketPC with 512MB, I use for Mp3's and your Cofee song as well as Tony W's are on the unit to this day...
Thanks again

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online