SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143930 - 06/17/05 01:29 PM Chord Sequencer on G-70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I finally got to play a G-70 (I have G-1000, had G-800 and RA90) with the new OS and WOW! - what a lot of potential. Editing seemed much more powerful and control goes to a whole new level, the sounds (much debate here, a lot from people who haven't even heard it, yet!) well worth the upgrade, some real killers.

BUT...... two real bonehead changes from the G-1000/800 etc. Firstly, I've already posted about the dropping of the Break Mute button (a pause until the next bar).... unbelievable!!
And, secondly, it seems Roland have finally done away with the Chord Sequencer altogether, thereby dooming all who play this keyboard to soloing with one hand only, or giving up interactivity and having to use sequencing (kind of defeats the whole arranger mentality).

Perhaps some clever guy/gal out there has figured this one out........ Can this older function be duplicated in some way using the sequencer? It's main attraction was you could record your chords as you played them, and when you got to the end of the section just hit play (on the Chord sequencer section) and it would loop seamlessly, press stop (ditto) and the arranger would continue vamping that last chord, press play (ditto) and it would continue. It just remembered the chords, so you could even change styles, or trigger fills and variations in different places each time round, something you obviously (please prove me wrong!) can't do with the main Sequencer.

So, anyone else with thoughts or tips about missing G-70 features and workarounds, please post here (I believe we've all heard too many 'this keyboard s*cks' postings to need more of that, just tips and workarounds, please!!)

#143931 - 06/22/05 09:39 AM Re: Chord Sequencer on G-70
Diki Offline

So, no-one's got anything UNLESS it's 'this keyboard s*cks'?

How about a simple hardware sequencer with the same function, hook up to NTA?

#143932 - 06/23/05 01:34 AM Re: Chord Sequencer on G-70
o3bor Offline

Chord sequencer on Roland arrangers died at VA-series introduction.
For what I know, not so many people cried at its funeral.

You can find tips and tricks for G-70 at http://www.selskabsmusikeren.dk/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=4&Itemid=28

#143933 - 06/23/05 07:00 AM Re: Chord Sequencer on G-70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Surely, most users never used the chord sequencer[I think it was a learning curve most did not want to understand], but for those that used it know what a great tool it is..Laying down in real time, a verse, and continuing in realtime..playing another instrument[guitar , trumpet etc], in real time..adds a demension that most have never considered..
BTW, you can save chord sequences for quick loading for your performances..

Secondly, for song writers..a very valuble tool indeed..You may have a song in your head, maybe record the chords[maybe as you would just playing a piano], using chord sequencer...now you can play back the chord sequence, listening to any style, creating different feels and ideas to your song..You can add fills , variations etc, continuing the developement of your song...All this operation can also be recorded as a standard midi file for your finished product..The chord sequencer is indepenent of your 16 track sequencer..
Likewise, saving your chord sequences as you go along[maybe to finish your project at a later date].
The VA had what is called 2nd track, but not as usefull to me as the "chord sequencer"..
My guess is that the G70 incorporates the same 2nd track feature as the VA series..
Since I have not tried a G70 yet , I can only guess for now..

Just one more reason, I will still keep my G1000, even though I will have a G70 too..

#143934 - 06/27/05 10:29 PM Re: Chord Sequencer on G-70
Diki Offline

I've tried at the Danish G-70 User Group to bring this to the attention of Roland Europe. All the Recorder section needs is an auto loop function and the Chord sequencer (or near-abouts, anyway) could return.

You're right, by the way, the only people who missed the Chord sequencer were people who learned how to use it. The rest of our user base don't know what they missed out on! One more ringing indictment of how few really learn their instrument's capabilities.

#143935 - 06/29/05 06:00 AM Re: Chord Sequencer on G-70
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
This sounds similar to the "Backing Sequence Mode" of the i30.
On a very difficult tune (chord wise)in the early days of my keyboard experience it was very convient to lay down the first 8, 12 or 16 bars and then copy and paste the chords for the new 8,12 04 16 bar group. By doing this it was only necessary to change the different turn-a-rounds for the bridge and endings usually.
Try sequencing "All The Things You Are" all the way through the tune without copy and paste and see if you can do it without making mistakes for 3 or 4 chrouses. I can't.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online