SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143468 - 09/07/06 07:03 PM New GC report
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Well, I visited the new Guitar Center in town today. It was just like every other GC i've been to. Nothing really impressed me. Yea, they have all the big synths and the usual arrangers. No Korg arrangers, no Tyros2, not even a Roland E09 or GW7. Just the usual Casio and Yamaha entry and mid-level boards and digital pianos. I'm glad they're in town. I just wish they'd provide a little more 'temptation'

[This message has been edited by CoasterTim (edited 09-07-2006).]

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#143469 - 09/09/06 03:34 PM Re: New GC report
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tim,
how dissapointing for you.

Maybe it's better that they don't provide too much temptation, it can be hard on the wallet haahaa.

I used to live 5 minutes from one of sydney's bigger pro music shops. If hubby couldn't contact me at home, he always knew where to find me. Used to get a bit embarrasing being paged over the loudspeaker system. haa haa ( pre mobile phone days)

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
. I'm glad they're in town. I just wish they'd provide a little more 'temptation'

[This message has been edited by CoasterTim (edited 09-07-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#143470 - 09/09/06 06:36 PM Re: New GC report
zuki Offline

We have Sam Ash and GC here in Cincy. SA has a Tyros 2, PA50 (that I ordered and took back) and the inexpensive stuff. They also have the 3000, 1500 and GW7. GC has absolutely nothing, except the Oasis. A disappointing walk from the car to the stores because it'll be the same old thing - year after year.

My conclusion is that we are in the minority.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#143471 - 09/10/06 03:52 PM Re: New GC report
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Guitar Center has just recently began stocking the Yamaha Tyros2 in their stores. And I mean JUST recently. Both of the GC's in my area are now stocking the Tyros2. I think Yamaha's decision to stock the Tyros2 in MI stores is directly related to Roland's recent announcement that the G-70 will soon be sold in MI (Musical Instrument division) outlets. Yamaha IMO is trying to keep a leg up on the competition with the Tyros2 in MI stores and they will be getting a head start over Roland who won't start selling the G-70 in MI stores until January from what I understand.

I got to play another Tyros2 on display at GC and I could see a boxed Tyros2 up on the storage shelf waiting to be sold. After playing the Tyros2 again extensively I am still glad I didn't upgrade my Tyros for the T2. At over a $1,000 more than my T1 and still only 61 keys and the same AC Grand Piano patches as my Tyros I can't see myself spending the extra loot for basically the same machine minus Hard Disk recording, some SAV voices (with some being better than others), and some extra sweet!, live!, and cool! voices. But to each his own. Now if I didn't already own a high-end Arranger and still only needed 61 keys I would certainly put the T2 at the top of my list to purchase. But I already do own a high end arranger in the T1. And the T1 actually garnered the prestigious M.I.P.A. award for best Organ/Portable Keyboard in 2003 which unfortunaetly the Tyros2 didn't in 2006's competition squeaking in at 3rd place behind the Hammond XK-3 and Roland's G70. But I feel the Tyros2 is still an awesome keyboard made even awesomer by the introduction of the SAV voices. Put it in 76 keys and that alone would probably make me do the upgrade thing.

Best regards,
Mike

#143472 - 09/10/06 04:49 PM Re: New GC report
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Mike,
The Tyros2 has always been sold by MI dealers. I've said this before but perhaps you have not seen my post. It's not Yamaha that has not stocked the Tyros2 in some of the big chain store like GC and Sam ASH. It is the stores themselves. Many managers don't think they have a market for the more expensive arrangers or don't think their sales staff have the knowledge or ability to sell these and so they decide not to put them in particular stores within the chain.
You are correct about the G70 being sold by CK dealers rather than MI dealers, but you are not correct about when the divisions will change. Those CK dealers currently stocking the G70 will be able to purchase more until January 1 but MI dealers that are not in close location to another CK dealer can purchase the G70 currently. Again, it's not Roland's or Yamaha's decision which dealer can sell these models but rather the dealers choice.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#143473 - 09/13/06 06:44 PM Re: New GC report
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks for the clarification George.

Best regards,
Mike

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online