SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#143454 - 05/11/05 06:07 AM Recording Software
Islander Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas, U.SA.
Hi, has anyone use Cool Edit Pro recording software? Should I get the Cakewalk Home Studio? Please your advise would greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Johnny

#143455 - 05/11/05 06:22 AM Re: Recording Software
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
This is a great program and use it for all my recording. High bit mixing, powerful effect and EQ's. Its pretty much the same thing as Adobe Audition (i think thats what it is). I would never need anything better.

Phil

#143456 - 05/11/05 06:30 AM Re: Recording Software
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Adobe bought out Syntrillium and then turned Cool Edit Pro into the current version, called Adobe Audition 1.5, which is an upgraded, improved version, and it's a really good, capable program.

Cakewalk Home Studio 2 is an updated version of Sonar 2.2. The advantage it has is that it also includes a very good midi sequencer as well as audio recording capabilities, so it is actually a more versatile program than Audition (Cool Edit Pro).

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#143457 - 05/11/05 06:40 AM Re: Recording Software
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
I only know an older version of Cool Edit and that was only a sample editor - no comparison to Cakewalk. But in the last four years so many things could have happened. On the other hand the makers of Cool Edit should have a long and good experience.

Cakewalk is IMHO a professional studio software. In this field you'll also find Sonar4 and last but not least Cubase SX/MX.

My personal choice would be Cubase because I'm working with Cubase so many years (12 years) and it's really easy to use AND strong in its abilities. Also Steinberg were the initiator of the ASIOdirect standard which allows you to use your PC as a professional studio system.

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#143458 - 05/11/05 07:14 AM Re: Recording Software
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
All good answers. I use Sonar 4 as my software DAW. It can do everything and it's all you might really need, start to finish, especially if you add some of the latest mastering plug ins avaialble, such as Blue Tubes Bundle for example.

I also use CE Pro. It's a marvelous program for recording and editing single or multitrack audio, but it does not include a midi seqeuncer. It's successor, Adobe Audition does not either.

AJ

#143459 - 05/11/05 01:04 PM Re: Recording Software
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
All good comments, but I would like to add a bit starting with Tom's signature
"Bigger is not allways better"

I use both programs.
Cool edit since version ce96 , now CEPro.and Cakewalk/Sonar since version 2 from cakewalk and now Sonar.

Allthough I would recommand Sonar if you need midi and audio, there's no audio software whith the possibilites of CoolEdit Pro if you're talking recording/editing/ audio, for that price.

you have a full professional studio with unlimited equalisers,multitracks,compressors,effects etc.. which include stereo simulations or reverse etc...
An excellent mastering tool as well.

Last but not least;
Runs on any PC since w98, almost crashfree, and even after a crash just restart and you continue where you were! (don't know about the newer adobe version though)
Tip:
If cooledit crashes most likely you have a hardware problem you don't know about yet!

Actually I would recommand to get both programs.

Fred

#143460 - 05/11/05 02:18 PM Re: Recording Software
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
I used Adobe Audition and really would not use anything else!

I am sure that this is more to do with being 'comfortable' with what I am used to rather than any other reason but there is a lot to be said for that.

With adobe Audition I can record as many audio tracks as I like, edit each one seperately adding effects and the like to my hearts content. I can then mix down to asingle track and edit some more if I need to before saving in virtually any format I like including MP3 and MP3 pro.

The thing for me is that I am used to it, I know where everything is so am more productive and I don't have to run any other software from begining to end.

As AJ says there is no midi capability but this is not an issue for me anyway I don't use it other than to get my keyboards to tell my outboard gear waht my hands are doing and all that is done before the music ever hits the PC for recording
best wishes
Tony

#143461 - 05/11/05 04:13 PM Re: Recording Software
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
There is a LOT to be said about only needing Adobe from beginning to end Tony. Sometimes, this is so key to me. Finding which software works best for you and not needing to run through 2 or three programs somtimes makes things much easier and comfortable. I agree too, if I didn't need a midi sequencer, I'd be hard pressed to find a better app for the money than CE Pro or Adobe.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way for me..lol. I use FL studio for creating backing tracks. I can't use FL Studio as an all in one solution, but I use it more than anything else, only I use it mainly as a Vst or rewire device in Sonar.

I don't even have that option when I use Jammer pro instead of FL, so at that point I use the Maple virtual midi cable to link it to Sonar. I used to use Midi Yoke, but since I went to Windows XP, M Yoke forces me to install 8 inputs and outputs. That seems to play havoc with certain apps, like Band in a Box. On the older Operating systems, you could choose the amount. Maple gives me 4, which is more than enough. I wish Soundtrek ( jammer ) would implement Vst or Dx capability into their apps. I imagine this might also have the side benefit of bringing them more into the mainstream of the current technology, if it even matters to them.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 05-11-2005).]

#143462 - 05/11/05 05:26 PM Re: Recording Software
Islander Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas, U.SA.
Would like to thank you all who responded. I do appreciate you and I will be downloading the Cool Edit trial version and give it a try. All I want is to be able to record my KB(pa1x) to a computer and edit indivitual tracks.

Again, thank you all!
Aloha!
Johnny

#143463 - 05/11/05 07:19 PM Re: Recording Software
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Yes, like Fred said, if you freeze using CEP, when you restart it somehow magically knows where you left off, and nothing is lost, its amazing and quite a stress reliever.

Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online