SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#143430 - 01/18/07 04:34 PM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
miden.... the reason the bass pattern does not move is that it is set to not transpose, while other parts DO....

In fact, this is one of the main hiphop based functions that ordinary arrangers rarely are capable of - in essence, using a Drum Track for melodic sounds, so they do not transpose when you change the chord. I have NEVER seen why this simple ability cannot be introduced into regular arrangers (after all, it's simpler to implement than transposing a track), a Transpose/Drum Track switch for EVERY Part, sort of a super Hold function....

Little things like this would go a long way towards making regular arrangers at least capable of hiphop production.

#143431 - 01/18/07 04:35 PM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
miden Offline

Loc: The World
yeah i agree with you diki, actually its interesting you know, i sometimes play older songs (70's-80's) at a gig using hip hop, or trance/dance beats and the people instead of ignoring it get up and dance and you occasionally get some positive comments that they love your new "arrangement" of the song..(its exactly the same song structure, just different beat!!), so i reckon yammi and co should maybe take on board that the mm6 capabilities should be added IN FULL to their normal arranger lines...now WHAT a machine that would be!!!!
dennis

#143432 - 01/18/07 07:09 PM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
batty Offline

Loc: Kingscliff, NSW, Australia
Miden, i also played a lot of 'old' songs with 'new' beats at gigs (particularly at restaurants). With a wide range of old and young customers, using the modern style routine you can cater for all age groups simultaneously. The old crowd enjoy it because they recognize the song, the young crowd enjoy it because they can relate to the beat, and also because they see the performer trying to modernize the sound.

I agree that a lot 70's songs fit the bill, and even older songs such as 'Summertime' and 'Stormy Weather' worked very well to this formula. As an added bonus it can extend the shelf life of some songs that may otherwise be wearing thin due to repetitive performance of the exact same arrangement every time.

In the end it certainly can't hurt to have a widen selection of modern styles available.

Kind regards,
Mark

#143433 - 01/20/07 02:55 PM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
I just finished reading the MM6 manual and it certainly has possibilities for anyone not needing a full-blown arranger keyboard. For those of us who have one foot in hardware and the other in emerging software, this is an attractive and less expensive solution. From the manual it is clear that at least root chording with auto-accompaniment is possible, so it is a basic arranger.

I know little about the Motif line and the use of "patterns" in the Yamaha offerings. Does anyone here have an opinion as to whether new patterns can be introduced into the MM6, as "performance" data or something else? I saw nothing about this. It is expected that patterns from any of the MO line would be usable?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online