SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#143410 - 01/18/07 08:19 AM MM6 - no intros/endings
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
I answered my own question...does the MM6 have intro/ending phrases? I checked the manual online and as far as I could tell, the answer is NO. So when you begin to play in auto accomp. mode, the rhythm just starts up cold. There are variations (4) and a fill button. It would have been helpful to have intros/endings. I guess you just have to be a little more creative to make your own.

One cool feature - it DOES have mega-voices!

BTW - Have you seen the new Motifator.com site? It's looks great. Interesting to see them include an arranger keyboard (MM6) on their big-guns site. Encouraging!

Tim

[This message has been edited by CoasterTim (edited 01-18-2007).]

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#143411 - 01/18/07 08:34 AM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
A lot of times you can get by the "no intro" issue by starting with a fill-in...although it would have been nice to have intros, a heavy user would quickly tire of them as on other arrangers.

I never use "canned intros" so it wouldn't be an issue with me.

If the accompaniment is sent out by midi, which it probably is, it would be cool to hear them trigger SA voices as on the Tyros2.

Still, ya gotta love those Mega Voices!!

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#143412 - 01/18/07 10:07 AM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
One cool feature - it DOES have mega-voices!
So, they began to add MegaVoice technology on the inexpensive boards. In addition, 70 MB voices, L/R output, arpegiators... lots of goodies there. I'd love to try out one...

#143413 - 01/18/07 10:36 AM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
miden Offline

Loc: The World
ian, i agree that intros are not all that necessary, but believe me you get tired of fading out every time you play existing arps/patterns on the es
dennis

#143414 - 01/18/07 10:43 AM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You're right Dennis...perhaps the MM6 will at least do a simple one bar stop type ending...then you could do a fill just before and make some sort of a little flourish at the end.

It will be interesting to see if the MM6 has at least a simple ending, as on the arrangers.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#143415 - 01/18/07 10:45 AM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
miden Offline

hey tim, where did you get the manual from? it does not appear to be on the yamaha manual site??
thanks
dennis

#143416 - 01/18/07 11:11 AM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Dennis,

Just go to www.motifator.com and click on MM6. A good deal of info is there, along with a pdf of the manual.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#143417 - 01/18/07 11:20 AM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
miden Offline

thanks tim

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 01-18-2007).]

#143418 - 01/18/07 11:38 AM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
yeah I see it's limited on the intros/endings, but and a "big but"... There's a VERY cool feature for the sequencer. It records EVERYTHING in real-time! You can tweek a sound (such as doing a filter sweep on a bass patch) while it's recording and those edits will be part of the song.

I think the software alone will open up a world of sequencing for this unit. I'm also VERY pleased to see knob settings can be saved with the performance data, so "yes" you can tweek and store sounds.

Now if only a store will carry this puppy locally.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#143419 - 01/18/07 11:58 AM Re: MM6 - no intros/endings
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Just had another look at the manual, and read some info under the Newbie Zone for the MM-6.... Arighty..., I'm getting more interested in this thing now

Holy Sh$#@ it has Mega Voices! Folks don't look at the MM-6 as a primary board. You have to look at something like this as an "add on synth". It's not a production station (however the included Cubase Le software will brighten things up)

I would just look at the 8 track sequencer as strictly a "scratch pad", and not sweat it because of the included DAW application. For the price I think the MM-6 is going to sell and sell big time. You get Motif sounds, styles/patterns, decent screen, real-time control that can be saved via performance memories (and recorded in real-time via the sequencer), USB to host/device and standard midi jacks, light weight, simply an amazing package for an amazing price.

I think the wife and I will have a talk about this thing. I just might have to pick one up. I used to own the original DJX and have been waiting for them to release something that compares to the original and they clearly exceded it with the MM-6.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online