SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143275 - 11/20/04 12:52 PM Downloading free sounds to your board?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Hi,

I noticed that on the WSA1 keyboard it has 256 built in sounds and 256 user sounds. Does that mean you can download sounds from your computer to a floppy and permanently store up to 256 user sounds onto that board? Where can I get sounds? Is there a gallery of free sounds to download? And how good is the WSA1? Is it a respected board?

Thanks a bunch,

Phil

#143276 - 11/20/04 08:04 PM Re: Downloading free sounds to your board?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
There are several ways this is done on a board. Depending on the board you have there are places for users to exchange sound files. Now what you want to download depends on the limits of your board. If you want sounds that are outside the boards internal voices or at times called patches you'll need a board with the ability to load samples. If there are 200+ slots for user sounds this is space for your own edited versions of either the internal sounds or (if the board has sample memory) space for sampled sounds. Hope this helps. Oh when you first asked about a board and mentioned the WK I should remind you that the WK's have the ability to load what's called Tone With Wave. The Casio will allow you to load sound samples that are not edited versions of the internal sounds. This is done by converting the file using the free Casio software.

We're talking about the Technics WSA1 right? If so..., it was a good board in its day. If memory serves me correctly I think this unit came out around 1995. I think the poly was 64, had a 16 track sequencer, cool and huge screen (very big screen for the time), 3 wheels (like the Yammie EX series). Sounds wise it was fairly decent. Have to consider the baords is nearly 10 years old now I don't remember this board having the ability to load samples (could be wrong though). The odd thing too is that if you look at the WSA1 and had never seen one before, you'd think it was a newer board. It was very sleek and quite stylish

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-20-2004).]

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-20-2004).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#143277 - 11/20/04 08:59 PM Re: Downloading free sounds to your board?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thanks a bunch, Squeak. The WSA1 did catch my eye because it did look quite nice, and id believe you if you said it came out yesterday! Especially with that sweet lcd! What are Tones with Wave? That sounds like a simple wat to get a different variety of sounds. What kinds of sounds do they produce? How much really does technology change since 1995, is it enough that it will sound like an old nintendo video game ? Ive never compared to anything older to know.

Thanks!

Phil

#143278 - 11/20/04 09:12 PM Re: Downloading free sounds to your board?
squeak_D Offline

"Tone With Wave" is really just Casio's fancy way of saying the board can load samples There are several ways to refer to sounds too. Some people say Tones, voices, or patches. The WSA doesn't sound like a cheap Nintendo. Actually I think that board had 12mbs to the sound banks. That was really good in 1995. I think keyboard sound has changed a bit over the last 10 years. Now we're into the era of mega voicing, and other companies seem to be following Yamaha but calling it something different. Have you played the WSA? You'd really need to get your hands on this board to see if it's for you.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#143279 - 11/20/04 10:56 PM Re: Downloading free sounds to your board?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Wow, 12mb is really good! The wk-3000 i think has 6mb, and twice as many sounds! Ive never played a WSA1 i dont think i could ever track one down. My two options on gettin a keyboard is i either get a new wk-3000 or i buy a used keyboard like the WAS1 or workstation. Does a cheap (under 400$) keyboard from casio or yamaha have megavoicing? Is it that great?

Thanks!

Phil

#143280 - 11/20/04 11:06 PM Re: Downloading free sounds to your board?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Here is a link of sounds the WSA has.
http://virtualacoustic.free.fr/Download/WSA1/sx-WSA1%20reference%20guide.pdf

Is that list all that is pre loaded on the board? Plus another 256 of user sounds?

Thanks,

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 11-20-2004).]

#143281 - 11/21/04 09:30 AM Re: Downloading free sounds to your board?
squeak_D Offline

Yamaha does not make a keyboard for under $400 that includes mega voices. The megavoices were introduced with the Tyros, and then added to the PSR-3000. Where did you find the 6mb's for the Casio? I'm curious because this info isn't listed in the manual, nor have I been able to find it anywhere on the net. I even emailed Casio and got no response. I still say the WK-3000 or 3500 is a good board to have in your price range.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online