SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#143115 - 07/31/06 10:00 AM Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Now that I'm (finally) convinced that Yamaha has (with Tyros2) eliminated (or at least reduced) the negative effect of stereo phase cancellation when going out the (L+R) audio out alone, to a mono PA speaker, I'm again considering purchasing a Bose PAS PA system.

Bose PAS Official Site

Explanation of How the Bose PAS Works

Realizing that the PAS, in a traditional band situation, typically has each musician (individual instrument/ singer) with their own PAS unit set up next to them on stage, curious how the PAS should be setup (configured) for use in a "one man band" arranger keyboard situation where all instrument sounds + vocals, emunate from a SINGLE source: our arr keyboard. Also, how does the Bose PAS sound in an open (no walls) outdoor enviroment compared to indoor venues? Does the PAS subwoofer provide adequate rich bass & presence?

Feedback from Bose PAS owners (especially those who've used it with Tyros2 like DonM ) plus any others who've had the chance to hear or audition it, greatly appreciated. The other albeit more traditional (yet relatively lightweight) PA system I'm considering (and very impresed with the sound of after auditioning) is the EV SxA360 .

Opinions/feedback appreciated.

Scott

#143116 - 07/31/06 10:37 AM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
MrEd Offline

Scott
I've been at 2 indoor performances where I heard the sound quality of the Bose before I actually got into the room (playing area) close enough to see that it was the Bose system being used.

If you have the $$$$, take advantage of the Bose 45-day trial "Better Music Guarantee".

Get it when you have indoor and outdoor jobs and give it a real test.

#143117 - 07/31/06 12:33 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Scott,

I own 4 double bass systems, and I use it with my KEtron MiDJay and the Tyros 2 with amazing results.

I even use them in a full band situation in a conventional speaker set-up

they are great

#143118 - 07/31/06 01:16 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Scott, I heard Eddie Shumaker (betweengigs) a few months ago playing his 3000 through the PAS... sounded great. All the good things you've heard/read about the system are true. I've also heard it outdoors with a 4 piece bluegrass group... sounded great. It'll be a major improvement over what you're using now. Just do it, you won't be sorry.

Glenn

#143119 - 07/31/06 01:53 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Scott

I am sure Bose would like to sell a unit to all members of a group, but I can tell you that when playing on one side of a large hall, and the 20 piece band on the other, I have to hold the volume down to 1/2 to be equal.

If you want the best, go for it. Like it has been stated, what do you have to lose, they will pay shipping both ways for 45 days.

Just like you always said of the MPP, it is the best investment I ever made.

Bernie

#143120 - 07/31/06 04:55 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Frankie, Bernie, DonM:

Which of the following PS1 (PAS) Setups do you own/recommend:

Basic Package

Single Bass Package

Double Bass Package

Is there sufficient bass w/o a subwoofer, and how much bass improvement is gained by adding 1 subs vs 2 subs?

It certainly appears if I opt for the Bose PAS, I'll certainly be in good company.

Scott

#143121 - 07/31/06 07:50 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
I like the single bass package at this point for a list price of $1,999.98. I wonder if the price is fixed or you can buy them cheaper. I will have to look into this a little more. The website says you can go to Guitar Center and demo the product
(if they have the product in stock) so I think I will have to make a trek down to the local guitar center and see if they have them.

Thanks Scott...

Regards,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

[This message has been edited by TwoNuts (edited 07-31-2006).]

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#143122 - 07/31/06 09:24 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Is there sufficient bass w/o a subwoofer, and how much bass improvement is gained by adding 1 subs vs 2 subs?

Bose says that the 1/4" sub-out jack can also be used with self-powered low-freq speakers you may already own.
If you have one, you could save a couple of bucks...

but if I had Scott's money, I'd have to have a Bose sub or 2 too.

#143123 - 08/01/06 12:18 AM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
At last, you turn your head to the Bose PAS! Take a comfortable time to audition the system, if you can and/or take advantage of the return policy. The sound of the PAS is different and it can take some time to know how it excels, so don't rush in taking your own conclusions. In my opinion the PAS is an absolute keeper. I purchased two Single Bass Packages, so I can use them in several combinations. Make sure you buy at least one bass module.

In an open space the sound is terrific in definition and volume (smaller volume decay than with conventional systems), however bass doesn't project with a good efficiency. For that application I recommend two bass modules.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 08-01-2006).]

#143124 - 08/01/06 05:00 AM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Hope you wanted a candid opinion. There are some solo singer/guitarists here that use the Bose PAS, er... L1. Got a soloact friend in Florida and he loves his L1's. But I can't shake the impression that this system sounds exactly like what it is: tiny speakers mounted in a pole. I just don't get it and probably never will... the L1 is fine for the squeeky acoustic guitarist/singers I see using it but I don't like the sound of it, the shape of it, or the price of it. So many things sound better for less money, and whether or not you can get a decent sound out of mono I believe stereo will always sound better for keyboards. I think the L1 is a fad like those tiny Dawn speaker systems I saw being used by a lot of small acts once upon a time and haven't seen since. The L1 is a turn-off to me and I suspect some regular audience types may share that opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online