SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#143125 - 08/01/06 06:32 AM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Jim, I surely understand some of you dislikes. The price for example. I agree that the price is too high (Bose standards, development costs, whatever), and that you can get a good conventional sound system for less money. Shape is a matter of taste. For me it's a plus and it fits in the trunk of my convertible (this would be impossible with a conventional comparable system). The sound is a more "difficult" subject. Until now I had nothing but compliments from my audiences - in open spaces, bars, large venues. This, of course, doesn't prove anything. My understanding is that it sounds somewhat different (not with the L1 only - way too 'thin' of a sound - but L1+B(1) at least). It took me a little while to appreciate the qualities of the system. Of course your opinion may differ from mine.

-- José.

#143126 - 08/01/06 08:56 AM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by MrEd:
if I had Scott's money, I'd have to have a Bose sub or 2 too.

Ed: you certainly haven't been talking to 'my' accountant.

Thanks to ALL for your candid feedback and comments. Interestingly enough, since I've now had a chance to do a few (smaller) gigs with my Tyros2 going out mono to a single PA speaker, and finding the results (surprisingly) pleasing, and pleasurable to my audiences as well, I'm begining to have a change of heart about my past 'gotta go' out stereo attitude. As my act (lounge venue) is mainly acoustic oriented: piano + rhythm section (bass/drums) and vocals with soloing (acoustic instruments), it seems the Bose system will certainly satsify my performance requirements: natural (unhyped). I had hoped the Bose PS1 Basic System (without subwoofer) would be adequate, but it sounds (from your feedback) that that at least one subwoofer (single bass package) is needed. That the case, my accountant says I need a little more time to swallow the 2K required for that system. In the meantime, it would be terrific to see pics of your Bose PS1 PA setup in your respective venues.

Scott

btw: Jose, great to see you posting here again. I kinda remember seeing pics of your Bose PAS & keyboard packed in your compact car. Would be great if you could post these kool shots again.

#143127 - 08/01/06 09:42 AM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Scott,

Get the double bass package, you can always turn it down, or bring only one,

I found that 1 tends to be a bit lite in the bottom end, and I hate to try to compensate with the EQ, it starts to sound un-natural.

If you are interested in buying, I can set you up with my guy at Bose and he might be able to get you 10% off

Later

#143128 - 08/01/06 10:01 AM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Esh:
the L1 is fine for the squeeky acoustic guitarist/singers I see using it

I know a friend that is using it for a reggae band with a solid bass guitar and acoustic drum kit, and it sounded great and they certainly didn't have a squeaky live sound. He has the double sub so that definately may help provide a good frequency range. The vocal sounded very clear and open everywhere in the room. He also had an acoustic/electric guitar playing through it as well and it layered beautifully over the acoustic drums and bass.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-01-2006).]

#143129 - 08/01/06 10:08 AM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Scottyee Offline

Can someone perhaps post the WEIGHT (lbs) of EACH ONE of the Bose PAS' parts (how many parts total?) and also tell me what the average transport, setup & breakdown time is? Thanks. - Scott

#143130 - 08/01/06 01:27 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello Scott,
I've been using the Bose system since Dec. '03 with good results. The only significant weight is the Base/Amp at 35 lbs. You should be able to set up in 15-20 mins including sound check. Base/amp out of the bag and put it in position, set in the bottom of the tower set then the top of the tower, position the bass bin. Connect bass bin and instruments - sound check. Since I also do vocals and use the midi accordion acousticly as well as a keyboard, I need effects so I use a mini mixer with effects rather than the Bose remote. I have a mini van and it packs very easily.
Ciao,
Jerry

#143131 - 08/01/06 04:25 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
You should be able to set up in 15-20 mins including sound check.

Hi Jerry. Setup/breakdown time sounds acceptable for the small-medium to larger jobs, but will reserve my TRS-MS02 sub + Bose 161's, and/or a single EV SxA100 (mono) speaker, for the small quickie in/out 45 min jobs, where '5 minute' speaker transport & setup time is pretty much mandatory.

Btw folks, Donny Pesce (DNJ) contacted me today. Other than saying he likes the G70, he didn't elaborate any more about it than that. but . . .

he did tell me that he thinks the Bose PAS sounds great, but that he dumped his because he felt the PAS (especially for the smaller jobs) a bit of a hassle to setup & longer to breakdown than conventinal speakers. He found getting it's 'overly snug fitting' covers (4 each cordora?) back onto the PAS's (4 separate) pieces, a time consuming struggle. Hmmm. perhaps Donny's PAS covers shrank in the wash? Ok, I'm curious now if any other Bose PAS owners here are experiencing problems getting the PAS (4) slip case covers 'on/off' too? Thanks. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-01-2006).]

#143132 - 08/01/06 08:22 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Donny just likes to buy stuff.

Just kidding, maybe it really is a pain for him, I don't have one. Only he knows.

Scott, you need one sub at least. Get that and see how it does you. Guys on acoustic guitar/vocal, MIGHT get by without a sub but from all I have read, you, for sure, want one playing keyboard.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#143133 - 08/01/06 08:25 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, the covers are no problem. They actually stretch a little after a few uses.
I never take the base/amp out of the cover, just unzip it and pull the top back.
I timed myself setting up today. The entire setup, including L1, B1, Tyros 2, stand, mic and plugging everything in took 8 minutes.
I had a roomfull of about 20 pro musicians tonight, including Kix Brooks, and they were in awe of the Bose system. They were sitting in the dining room at the other end of the building and said it sounded so good they all had to come into my room for drinks to see what was going on.
One guy named Toby something from Nashville sang a song and was very impressed that he could stand right in front of the tower and not get feedback, yet still have ample volume.
Scott, order the Bose with one sub or two and don't look back.
It will improve anybody's sound and the end result will be to make you more money.
DonM

#143134 - 08/01/06 10:20 PM Re: Seriously Considering Bose PAS System Again!
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Esh:
I can't shake the impression that this system sounds exactly like what it is: tiny speakers mounted in a pole. I just don't get it and probably never will... I don't like the sound of it, the shape of it, or the price of it. So many things sound better for less money, and whether or not you can get a decent sound out of mono

Esh, can I assume that you've actually had a chance to audition the Bose and A/B compare them with equivilent conventional speakers? As I mentioned earlier, my other (albeit slightly higher priced) self powered PA speaker choice would be the very impressive sounding Electro-Voice: SxA360's , & at a mere 36 lbs/ speaker. Have you (or anyone else here) heard these or had an opportunity to A/B compare these to the Bose PAS setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Scott, the covers are no problem. They actually stretch a little after a few uses.
Don. Thanks for the assurance, because I purchased similar covers for my EV-SxA100's, and quickly gave up even trying to get their ultra skin tight covers on after each gig. I trust the Bose PAS covers aren't nearly as difficult to put on.

Scott

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online