SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142881 - 11/25/06 10:04 AM Keeping midi overall levels constant
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Some midi's are louder than others. I guess there is a way to see this with software so you can make the songs consistently the same overall volume?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#142882 - 11/25/06 10:17 AM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Dnj Offline

http://svpworld.com/util_midiplayer.htm

Bill you can do that & so much more easy with Michael Bedesem MIDI PLAYER program...
its free enjoy..

#142883 - 11/25/06 12:02 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Check your manual for the PSR's sequencer section. On Rolands, in the sequencer global edit section, there is a parameter to turn up or down the volume of the entire sequence without having to go in and edit volumes. Perhaps there is a similar parameter on the Yamaha?

#142884 - 11/25/06 01:24 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Midiplayer is the way to go. You can Batch all your midi files in one shot. Just make sure the only option you select is the volume and the program will take care of the corrections in a couple mouse clicks.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#142885 - 11/25/06 05:55 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Diki Online   content

'Fraid you can't batch process SMFs for volume unless they were all generated by the same soft arranger (and even that's a stretch).....

The problem is, how does the batch processor know the loudness of a track or sequence? Sure, it can look at MIDI volume (CC7), but how does it know the average (and range) of the velocities...? Then how does it know how acoustically 'loud' the synth patch is?

Unfortunately, if you have got SMFs from a variety of sources, only way to balance them is to play them and either globally turn down the sequencer section volume (doable at least on Rolands, and maybe others) or you have to go in and change the volumes of at least the individual sequence tracks headers, and if any fades are done with CC7, subtract from those, too (or scale - reduce by a percentage).

Take a good look in the MIDI section of your manual. There may be a sys-ex command to globally turn down the sequencer in there even if there isn't a GUI front-door to the function..... If you can find that, you will be saving yourself a lot of time if you have a large library.

#142886 - 11/25/06 07:54 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

Maybe you should try the program--it worked just fine for the 50 or so files I adjusted as a batch. I don't know exactly how it works--but it worked for me. Maybe Michael Bedesem can explain it better.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#142887 - 11/26/06 11:54 AM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I send every midi file I recieve through MidiPlayer to "adjust" the volumes to suit my PSR3000, and it works fine in either single or batch mode.

#142888 - 11/26/06 12:08 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MacAllcock:
I send every midi file I recieve through MidiPlayer to "adjust" the volumes to suit my PSR3000, and it works fine in either single or batch mode.

Do you mean you manually tweak channel(s) volume by ear or what? What, exactly, do you do? Thanks.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#142889 - 11/26/06 02:50 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Is there a program that will do the same thing for Mp3's?

#142890 - 11/26/06 04:57 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
to the genesys Offline

So are you all saying that this midi volume program “MIDI PLAYER program” does the same thing like what a CD burning program would do?

That is when the CD burning program normalizes to get all the songs at one volume level?

This midi program would get a group of midi files to play at the same volume level with out the user having to go in to each midi file and adjust volumes?

If so, WOW!

#142891 - 11/26/06 05:16 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Musicman22:

I don't know but if you burn a cd, "normalizing" the various song files is usually part of the options. Once it's burned, obviously, you can't edit the mp3 on the burned cd, but I don't know if you could do anything with a batch of mp3 files in your computer.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 11-27-2006).]

#142892 - 11/27/06 03:23 AM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
MacAllcock Offline

Nero has a "Normalise Audio" function when burning audio CD's but I must admit I've never looked for the option when burning an MP3 disc....

SoundForge has a batch processing option which can normalise audio files in bulk.

You could look upon MidiPlayer as a "bulk normaliser" although I'd still check the levels afterwards. I assume it works by analysing note volumes, expression settings and channel levels to get some idea of absolute level; with the best will in the workld this will not be absolutely accurate for a specific keyboard (although it does a pretty good job for me!).

Midiplay is invaluable for me; my PSR3000 is very sensitive to levels in Midi Files in that setting channel levels too high results in audible clipping of the audio waveform (especially the drum track).

#142893 - 11/27/06 12:33 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
MidiPlayer normalizes midis by analyzing the midi volume events by channel and coming up with an average for the channel and an average for the midi as a whole. It then scales each of the midi volume events by the ratio necessary to bring the song average down to a level typically used by Yamaha factory files (but you can set your own level to match other file sets).

This technique assumes that the original author achieved the right balance between tracks taking into account the strength of the sounds as changed by velocity, number of notes etc. I.e he adjusted for the variation in perceived loudness created by the playing method. By scaling the volumes in the way that it does, MidiPlayer preserves the author's mix and avoids the technique variations altogether.

MidiPlayer is not perfect and there are cases where tweaking might be necessary. But for the majority of cases, the improvement is such that it is more than sufficient for casual listening.

Regards,

Michael

#142894 - 11/29/06 12:37 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
MacAllcock Offline

Thanks Michael

#142895 - 11/29/06 03:57 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Diki Online   content

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael P. Bedesem:
MidiPlayer normalizes midis by analyzing the midi volume events by channel and coming up with an average for the channel and an average for the midi as a whole. It then scales each of the midi volume events by the ratio necessary to bring the song average down to a level typically used by Yamaha factory files (but you can set your own level to match other file sets).

This technique assumes that the original author achieved the right balance between tracks taking into account the strength of the sounds as changed by velocity, number of notes etc. I.e he adjusted for the variation in perceived loudness created by the playing method. By scaling the volumes in the way that it does, MidiPlayer preserves the author's mix and avoids the technique variations altogether.

MidiPlayer is not perfect and there are cases where tweaking might be necessary. But for the majority of cases, the improvement is such that it is more than sufficient for casual listening.

Regards,

Michael

Well, Michael, that's all well and good, but I'm afraid my experience with most web-found SMFs is that the most consistent thing about their mix is that they are inconsistent!

Maybe if you already have a bunch of 'tweaked' SMFs for Roland, and want them to play well on Yamaha, it's a good app, but most web SMFs are poorly played AND poorly mixed.....

#142896 - 11/29/06 04:42 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
Diki:

MidiPlayer does not attempt to correct poor playing or mixing. It simply attempts to correct problems which PSR users commonly encounter when playing songs created on other PSRs and elsewhere.

The closest it comes to a 'producer' function is AutoPanSet. This will re-pan a song according to commonly used coventions (one might argue if that is the right standard; if so you can change the stereo map to suit yourself).

For the worst of the midis, there is always the Stop and Delete buttons.

And if you have any ideas on how the program might function better, please let me know at mpb@sover.net.

Regards,

Michael

#142897 - 11/29/06 05:12 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by Musicman22:

Could this be what you're looking for?
MP3 Gain: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

-- José.

#142898 - 11/30/06 10:57 AM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
MacAllcock Offline

"the most consistent thing about their mix is that they are inconsistent"

Too true, but there's not a lot anyone can do about that; the mix that's good for you depends on your specific keyboard, the voice you end up choosing for a particalar part and the situation in which you will be using the file.

Ultimately the only way to get a good result is to do it yourself. MidiPlayer does a very good job of getting the overall level of a midi file to a state where my PSR3000 is not exhibiting overload symptoms; after that it down to me.

#142899 - 12/27/06 02:17 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Yes Jose, this looks like what I would need and there is a Mac Intel version too.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online