SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142881 - 11/25/06 10:04 AM Keeping midi overall levels constant
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Some midi's are louder than others. I guess there is a way to see this with software so you can make the songs consistently the same overall volume?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#142882 - 11/25/06 10:17 AM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Dnj Offline

http://svpworld.com/util_midiplayer.htm

Bill you can do that & so much more easy with Michael Bedesem MIDI PLAYER program...
its free enjoy..

#142883 - 11/25/06 12:02 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Check your manual for the PSR's sequencer section. On Rolands, in the sequencer global edit section, there is a parameter to turn up or down the volume of the entire sequence without having to go in and edit volumes. Perhaps there is a similar parameter on the Yamaha?

#142884 - 11/25/06 01:24 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Midiplayer is the way to go. You can Batch all your midi files in one shot. Just make sure the only option you select is the volume and the program will take care of the corrections in a couple mouse clicks.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#142885 - 11/25/06 05:55 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
'Fraid you can't batch process SMFs for volume unless they were all generated by the same soft arranger (and even that's a stretch).....

The problem is, how does the batch processor know the loudness of a track or sequence? Sure, it can look at MIDI volume (CC7), but how does it know the average (and range) of the velocities...? Then how does it know how acoustically 'loud' the synth patch is?

Unfortunately, if you have got SMFs from a variety of sources, only way to balance them is to play them and either globally turn down the sequencer section volume (doable at least on Rolands, and maybe others) or you have to go in and change the volumes of at least the individual sequence tracks headers, and if any fades are done with CC7, subtract from those, too (or scale - reduce by a percentage).

Take a good look in the MIDI section of your manual. There may be a sys-ex command to globally turn down the sequencer in there even if there isn't a GUI front-door to the function..... If you can find that, you will be saving yourself a lot of time if you have a large library.

#142886 - 11/25/06 07:54 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

Maybe you should try the program--it worked just fine for the 50 or so files I adjusted as a batch. I don't know exactly how it works--but it worked for me. Maybe Michael Bedesem can explain it better.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#142887 - 11/26/06 11:54 AM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I send every midi file I recieve through MidiPlayer to "adjust" the volumes to suit my PSR3000, and it works fine in either single or batch mode.

#142888 - 11/26/06 12:08 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by MacAllcock:
I send every midi file I recieve through MidiPlayer to "adjust" the volumes to suit my PSR3000, and it works fine in either single or batch mode.

Do you mean you manually tweak channel(s) volume by ear or what? What, exactly, do you do? Thanks.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#142889 - 11/26/06 02:50 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Is there a program that will do the same thing for Mp3's?

#142890 - 11/26/06 04:57 PM Re: Keeping midi overall levels constant
to the genesys Offline

So are you all saying that this midi volume program “MIDI PLAYER program” does the same thing like what a CD burning program would do?

That is when the CD burning program normalizes to get all the songs at one volume level?

This midi program would get a group of midi files to play at the same volume level with out the user having to go in to each midi file and adjust volumes?

If so, WOW!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online