SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#142646 - 08/01/05 05:18 AM OT - Two computers sharing DSL
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
What do you need to make this work? A wireless router?

Buy.com Lynksys router has this for $50. Do you need more hardware/software than this? Or is there a simpler method?

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 08-01-2005).]

#142647 - 08/01/05 05:51 AM Re: OT - Two computers sharing DSL
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi
More information on you computer setup and capabilities would be required to answer the question, (i.e.: how are they placed, do they include Wi Fi capability, what connections and operating system etc)
I have included a link that explains how to network two computers together and share a single DSL connection; this will give you a good idea of what you will need for your system.

Bill
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm

#142648 - 08/01/05 06:18 AM Re: OT - Two computers sharing DSL
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
I use a router from 2Wire on my DSL. Although it has WiFi capabilities, I don't use that part since the connection is between 2 desktops.

One is connected through a network card, the other just with a regular USB cable. Both have 24/7 net access and can also see each other (network) without extra wiring.

Whether one or both are on line makes no difference in up- or download speed as far as I can tell. 2Wire also has build in Firewall options and can even connect 2 PC's through your regular phone wiring.

Gr.
John

------------------
Have a nice day smile

#142649 - 08/01/05 09:19 AM Re: OT - Two computers sharing DSL
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
You don't say how far apart the rooms are or how many connections you want. You can simply by a $15 router and connect it between the DSL Router and the incoming line to your computer. Then run Twisted pair ethernet wire to the other computers Ethernet adapter and off you go.

I've used DSL in my home with a phone line network to 5 computers and I just converted that to Wireless 802g. However, my kids are now complaining about the wireless lagging when they play their networked computer games. I am now considering cabling the entire house with Twisted pair ethernet.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#142650 - 08/01/05 02:25 PM Re: OT - Two computers sharing DSL
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Assuming that you already have both computers and the (non-wireless) DSL router, there is a zero cost solution, if both machines have free ethernet network cards. You connect them by an inverted ethernet cable. The one connected to the DSL modem will be the gateway for the other. Only drawback: the 'main' computer (the internet server) has to be 'on', if you want to have internet connection on the second one.

In case both computers are in the same house (plugged to the same electrical installation) you have an alternative solution to the wireless router, that I personally like very much: internet connection can be redistributed inside the house over power lines (yes, you use your electrical 'normal' plugs). Not very cheap (you need two) but it couldn't be easier: no configurations needed.
I used products from this company: http://www.planet.com.tw/ .

-- José.

#142651 - 08/01/05 02:41 PM Re: OT - Two computers sharing DSL
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Buying another computer for room #2. Might be new one but it will be LOW COST, whatever it is. Looking for the least expensive solution. It's also not entirely necessary that both computers have SIMULTANEOUS connection. I guess I could just disconnect and haul the dsl modem to the other computer.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#142652 - 08/02/05 12:02 AM Re: OT - Two computers sharing DSL
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Just buy any cheap router ( doesn't have to be wireless if you don't mind running the network cables around the house ). It is pretty inexpensive nowadays and very easy to setup.

#142653 - 08/02/05 06:57 AM Re: OT - Two computers sharing DSL
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
I just bought a Linksys wireless router for $10 at staples. It is wireless and also has 4 Cat5 ports.
The point is there are serious bargains to be had. You may not need wireless now but if and when you do that means vey little fuss. I bought this one for one of the grand children to have access to their parents computer.

Do not buy Cat 5 cables from Staples or other big box stores because the cost is outrageous. If there is a Clone or small PC repair shop nearby that is a good place to get you cables for half the money. I Buy Cat 5 cable for as little as 2.95 and up depending on the Length.

So you can use the wireless router with or without wires. Hope this helps a little.

Jerry

#142654 - 08/02/05 07:08 PM Re: OT - Two computers sharing DSL
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
I rebuilt my one of my old Pentium I/166MHz. Now it's running as a Linux disc router with two network cards. A Hub/Switcher splitts the internal network card connector into many network connectors (8 in my case) where you can plug in your work stations.
I'm running 3 different operating systems and they all are using the same network!!!

Wireless LAN isn't really secure, is too expensive, and is creating much EMP.
On the other side WLAN is good for mobility.
Good luck for your choice!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online