SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142593 - 11/30/01 05:55 PM Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi everyone! I'm elated! I just purchased a pair of Mackie SRM450's. http://www.mackie.com/Products/Active/SRM450/SRM450.asp
I've been wanting these for a LONG time now. I remember that it was Uncle Dave & Donny Pesce who had first recommended these PA's to me (almost a year ago), so I want to thank you. I must admit that I'm currently in a state of SHOCK! It seems like my whole music setup has changed completely in just the last 2 weeks. I feel like I'm living a little on the edge, especially because I'm doing all this 'right before' the holiday gigs. I'm desparately working to gear up the PSR2000 to handle it all. Ahhh, I guess I love to live dangerously!

I plan to just take the PSR2000, for those small senior type venues, then take one Mackie 450 for medium sized gigs, and reserve the second 450 for larger wedding & corporate parties.

Uncle Dave and/or Donny: through your professional experience with the 450's, can you please advise me what the maximum number of people/room size the following scenerios will handle?

1) PSR2000 only
2) PSR2000 & one 450 PA monitor speaker
3) PSR2000 & two 450 PA monitor speaker

Uncle Dave: One more IMPORTANT question. The outputs on the PSR2000 are 1/4" unbalanced (so I was told by the salesperson) and the inputs on the 450's are XLR (balanced). The salesman highly recommended that I purchase a Direct Box: Rolls Matchbox DB25: http://www.rolls.com/new/db25.html

to convert the unbalanced outs of the PSR2000 to a balanced signal in order to match the balanced XLR input of the 450's. He advised me that PSR keyboards have a reputation for potential signal looping interference (noise, hum) if it's unbalanced outputs are connected directly to a balanced XLR input (SRM450) without a direct box as mentioned above.

Uncle Dave, I like to hear your advice and recommendations on this.

Thanks, - Scott

#142594 - 11/30/01 06:40 PM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Scott,
congrats on your new Mackie's. I think you made an great choice.
They are on my current wish list too.
Way back when, I bought a small Mackie Mixer, VLZ1202. Great little think for the money. That would take care of your problem.
The reason why I had to add it to my powered speakers (still JBL Eon power 15), was that I had to run two mics through it (my wife and mine).
The Mackies sound really great. I had the chance to test them a few times.

Good luck, have fun

Eric

#142595 - 11/30/01 06:49 PM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Scott
I see you got a pair of Mackie by-amp
speakers !!!!
I think they are 400 watts output each, arn't
they?
I bought a pair of Yamaha MS400 by-amp & they
are 400 watts each, I realy like them so far
I have had them since August, they also have
XLR balanced & also 1/4" balanced, also a
place to plugin a mic with a separate volume
control.
What was you using for a PA before?
Do you use a mixer?
I have the Yamaha MX12/6 mixer & it has XLR
balanced output on it, so I have 1/4"
unbalanced from KB to mixer then balanced
XLR from mixer to speakers, works great.
Oh I have a dual 31 band EQ in-between
the KB & mixer.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

#142596 - 12/01/01 12:16 AM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott,
The 450's are still the top dog as far as sound quality goes, but I just traded mine for the new EV SXa100's. I got tired of huffing and puffing - the EV's are much easier to carry, and what little I miss....I don't miss, really. If you have a chance to maybe exchange them - at least try them out -they are very impressive.
The advantages are threefold -
1) lighter & smaller
2) on board EQ (hi & lo EQ)
3) two channels each - mic and mic/line
the line input has a dual XLR/quarter inch jack (neutrix, I think)
If you decide to keep the 450's - there is NO problem with just using a cable with 1/4"male at one end and XLR male at the other. These are readily available everywhere, and most are balanced (no problem there)
The 2k speakers will handle a small cocktail party or average nursing home crowd of about 40 - 50 people. After that, you'll be pushing your voice too much because of the top facing speakers. In most cases - it's fine, but as the room gets noisy - the vocals get lost. Talking is also not as intelligible at moderate speech levels. I predict that you'll be happy 95% of the time with the senior crowds. They don't WANT too much volume.
One Mackie will handle 200-300 people EASILY if it is on a stick and in the center of the room. The horn has the best dispersion I've heard yet. Two of them....well - that's just heaven. The only time you will need more is if you are playing a lot of bass-intensive stuff. That can use up all the headroom fast and you may get a kind of "splatty sound" The 450's also tend to overheat when pushed to limits. Keep LOTS of ventilation room behind the speaker, and NEVER use them on their sides on carpet, in corners or when playing real loud - they will definitely overheat. (take about 5-8 min to come back on) I guess a small fan blowing on the heat sink may eliminate this, but they are sensitive to heat.
I really prefer the 450's to my new EV's but I opted for the comfort factor. That's why I'm using the PSR2k - it's not MY FAVORITE CHOICE but it IS easy to travel with.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you owe it to your self (and your BACK) to listen to the EV's - they're so close sonically, but much better to travel with.
Good luck, whichever way you go with it.
So far, the 2k and the EV's are a good combo for me. Small, powerful, attractive .......
A lot like a girl I once dated!

#142597 - 12/01/01 01:16 AM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Scottyee Offline

I'm glad the store I just got the Mackie 450's has given me a 30 day full refund return policy. I must admit that the 50 lb 450 was a bear to lug tonight (and up a flight of stairs as well). I didn't even open the box to the second one, so I think I will take your advice and checkout the lighter & more ergonomically balanced EV SxA100 as you suggest.

BTW: What kind of stand do you mount your SxA100's on? Do you know if the SXa100 will fit on an 'Ultimate' brand tripod stand? I had tried putting one of the 450's on it and for some reason the tripod's tubing was slightly too large in diameter to fit into the the 450's speaker holder hole. Strange because my Roland KC-300 fit into the same tripod stand with no problem.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-01-2001).]

#142598 - 12/01/01 03:00 AM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Roel Offline

Hi Scott,
As you know I own the 450's since more than a year and they still impress me very much.

Balanced/unbalanced is absolutely NO problem ...just take the right cable :
6.3 mm jack TIP to nr. 2 of XLR
6.3 mm jack GRND to nr. 1 and 3 of XLR

Last summer we did an 'open air' gig and the audiance was >4000 people... the only speaker that was too 'short' was my home made 350W sublow cabinet
I expect you have to loosen the clamp for the pipe. (the knob on the back of the SRM)
The hole itself is standard and will fit.

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 12-01-2001).]

#142599 - 12/01/01 05:50 AM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
There are actually TWO popular sizes of pole mount holes, and the Mackie (and also the EV) uses the smaller of the two. The USS stands have BOTH sizes on each side of the pole - just take out the top rod and flip it over !

#142600 - 12/01/01 12:31 PM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Scottyee Offline

Uncle Dave: THANKS for recommending the Electro Voice SxA100's. You saved my life (I mean, my back). I returned to the music store and A/B it with the 450's. I agree that there is a slight trade off in the sound (a little less low end), but they still sound terrific, especially for the type of vocal/keyboard gigs I do (acoustic lounge pop & jazz). If thumping bass is your thang, go with the 450's because they really have a fantastic low end, but the EV SxA100's are real CLEAN with smooth response (great mids & decent bass too), and won't break your back carrying them. I was amazed how much smaller & lighter the SxA100 feels than the only 7 lb difference between each SXA100 & 450 speaker. Maybe it's because the SxA100's size is smaller & weight is more evenly dispersed. I think Uncle Dave and I now have the 'same' keyboard/PA setup, at least until he discovers something new (next week?! ). - Scott

#142601 - 12/01/01 03:59 PM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Dnj,
Why don't you edit your post. you've got it streched a mile! Ha!
Click your cruser somewhere in the middle of that address and push enter. This will put it on two lines. As long as you don't make a space, it will work the same.
It will take the stretch out of the postings and make them easer to read.
I though I taught you guys better than that!

Nobby
PS; You didn't have to remove it!

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 12-02-2001).]

#142602 - 12/01/01 05:39 PM Re: Just purchased a pair of : MACKIE SRM450's !
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Hey Scott, What happened to your Roland KC300's? You can handle a pretty good size crowd with those little units especially for your old folks gigs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online