SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#142133 - 01/19/03 07:33 PM Arrangers via Synth/Workstations
Islander Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas, U.SA.
Hi everyone, I am new to the group and this is a very wonderful group. But I would like to ask you all a question. I am currently using a PSR 9000. The problem is I like the sounds/voices from the Triton and Motif series boards better but I have NEVER work with either one. I really like the Modif and the Triton but there are no such backings/accompaniments. Would I better off with the PSRs or risk getting a Modif/Triton?
Thanks you all a million!
Aloha from the Islands!

#142134 - 01/19/03 07:44 PM Re: Arrangers via Synth/Workstations
KN_Fan Offline

I suggest check "Karma" out or at least MIDI your PSR with the actual Triton itself..I THOUGHT PA80 was a good keyboard until I played it in person....no way that the sounds are comparable to Triton's...I took the plunge and bought the Studio myself (hard to learn though...prepare for some frustrations in the beginning or at least for a while).

#142135 - 01/19/03 08:29 PM Re: Arrangers via Synth/Workstations
Islander Offline

Thanks KN_Fan! I'll go check out the Karma this coming weekend.

#142136 - 01/20/03 06:02 AM Re: Arrangers via Synth/Workstations
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Yamaha has come out with a rack-version of the Motif that will sell for under $1,000. This could make a nice addition to your 9000.

#142137 - 01/20/03 12:57 PM Re: Arrangers via Synth/Workstations
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Islander,

I had the exact same dilemna myself. I guess I'm somewhat fortunate in that my musical hobby helps me fund my love of musical instruments.

What I did was, I sold my PSR 9000, bought a Tyros, then I purchased a used Korg Triton on Ebay for about $1,400.00.

I now have the best of both worlds. I now plug the Korg into the Tyro to use the speaker system of the Tyros and I also MIDI link both keyboards so that I can trigger the Tyros Sounds from the Triton and visa-versa.

I know this solution is expensive, but for me it is loads of fun and satisfies all my requirements.

Now you just have to hope you win the lottery!!! LOL

Al G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#142138 - 01/20/03 05:29 PM Re: Arrangers via Synth/Workstations
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I would suggest that if you prefer the Triton soundset that you do check out the PA80. I own it. I also have logged a lot of hours on a friend's Triton and have spent a good bit of time with the Karma when I was wrestling over the decision of whether or not to purchase one. I totally disagree with the assessment made by KN. I find that if we're talking acoustic voices in many cases the ones on the PA80 sound better than their counterparts on the Triton. I'm not very impressed with the soundset on the Karma for some of the acoustic patches either, although most of the synth patches sound excellent to me, and with some editing you could probably get some better acoustic voices.

This may be a little too much of a generalization, but in my way of thinking this is because of the way DSP's are set up between the boards and that arranger players seem to focus a little more in general on emulating acoustic instruments than the average player of today's workstation. Judging by the way their workstations and arrangers are set up with their bread and butter patches, Korg and Yamaha seem to recognize this as well. The Triton / Karma seem to be geared a more toward todays dance / synth /electronica sounds. These are very tastefully done in the Triton and while it's possible to match some of them on the PA80, the effects engine is not of the same quality as Triton's. The same is true of the Motif vs the higher end PSR's / Tyros. The Tyros overall has better acoustic instrument sounds than my Motif does, ( this I could easily tell after only 2 hrs on the Tyros ) but will not match it for user made synth sounds, as it does not have the same editing capabilities.

An important key to measuring the sounds in any of these boards is to compare them through the same sound system if possible.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-20-2003).]

#142139 - 01/20/03 07:26 PM Re: Arrangers via Synth/Workstations
Islander Offline

Thank you all for those who have respond to my post regarding arrangers/workstation boards. I will be going through all the boards mentioned above and try to evaluate everyone as much as I could. I am gearing toward purchasing a board probably the middle of February. I am very much interested in a board that has the amazing voice/sound like a synth or workstation but plays like an arranger with backing accompaniments. This would be a dream for me!! But again, thank you all for all the great adeas!! Aloha again.

Islander

#142140 - 01/22/03 12:07 AM Re: Arrangers via Synth/Workstations
KN_Fan Offline

Hi AJ,
Sorry...yes, I should've probably said it better. I guess probably the reason why the PA80 didn't sound to great (I'm not saying the sound is bad though...just didn't blow my mind as much as say..PSR2000 or something like that) was perhaps because of the built-in speaker. So, my previous assesment was rather 'unfair' of the PA80.....hope I just redeemed myself.
Thanks.
KN_Fan

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online