Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#142126 - 07/14/06 02:21 PM Re: E-80 Up on Roland US Website
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jupitar5:
[B]It does ay *1GIG* wave memory in the spec sheet is this corerct? - or 1 Gbit (not bye, but "bit"

1 Giga'bit' is 128 Mega'bytes'. So the E-80 has 128MB of Wave Memory. As an example the Tyros2 has 300MB of linear .wav rom but consequently since it is 'compressed' it is more around 160MB (more or less), depending on how much compression Yamaha used. The Tyros on the other hand has 96MB of .wav rom but the Manual or spec sheet does not say whether it has been compressed (from a larger amount originally), so it is possible that the Tyros' .wav rom is 'uncompressed'. Uncompressed .wav rom is the best kind since compression takes away from the sound quality of any audio format.

In theory the Roland E-80 could possibly have uncompressed .wav rom but that info is not available from Roland's web site or in the Manual that I'm aware of so there is no way of knowing for sure until if or when Roland decides to release that data.

PS: I agree that the sounds on the E-80 aren't necessarily stellar in quality; at least from the demos we've heard so far anyway. The sounds on the video demo were pretty good on some of the voices they used.

The neat thing is you can add up to two SRX expansion cards that will most likely dramatically increase the E-80's sound palette and also sound quality. The downside is because Roland didn't put in excellent preset voices (maybe there are some in the presets but we may have not heard them yet from the current line of demos), we have to shell out mucho dinero (much money) for the SRX cards to get the sounds we may want. So Roland gets you coming and going. A high priced Board made even higher because of low quality presets forcing the user to buy expensive SRX expansion cards. >> Hopefully Roland will put up some better demos in the near future that showcase better sounding preset voices. If their bag is empty and they aren't able to do that then be prepared to have deep pockets to get the E-80 to sound to your liking by way of SRX cards at $250.00 or more a pop.

Best regards,
Mike

#142127 - 07/14/06 08:03 PM Re: E-80 Up on Roland US Website
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
just wondering where you read this, I can't seem to find it in the specs??

I'm trying to work out the difference between gigabits & gigabytes also,
found the following, still as clear as mud to me
http://www.pcwebopedia.com/TERM/g/gigabyte.html http://www.pcwebopedia.com/TERM/g/gigabit.html

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Jupitar5:
It does ay *1GIG* wave memory in the spec sheet is this corerct? - or 1 Gbit (not bye, but "bit"

[This message has been edited by Jupitar5 (edited 07-14-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#142128 - 07/14/06 10:33 PM Re: E-80 Up on Roland US Website
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
50 lbs ! and for only 61 notes?!

Scott

#142129 - 07/14/06 11:42 PM Re: E-80 Up on Roland US Website
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
1 Giga'bit' is 128 Mega'bytes'. So the E-80 has 128MB of Wave Memory. As an example the Tyros2 has 300MB of linear .wav rom but consequently since it is 'compressed' it is more around 160MB (more or less), depending on how much compression Yamaha used. The Tyros on the other hand has 96MB of .wav rom but the Manual or spec sheet does not say whether it has been compressed (from a larger amount originally), so it is possible that the Tyros' .wav rom is 'uncompressed'. Uncompressed .wav rom is the best kind since compression takes away from the sound quality of any audio format.

In theory the Roland E-80 could possibly have uncompressed .wav rom but that info is not available from Roland's web site or in the Manual that I'm aware of so there is no way of knowing for sure until if or when Roland decides to release that data.

PS: I agree that the sounds on the E-80 aren't necessarily stellar in quality; at least from the demos we've heard so far anyway. The sounds on the video demo were pretty good on some of the voices they used.

The neat thing is you can add up to two SRX expansion cards that will most likely dramatically increase the E-80's sound palette and also sound quality. The downside is because Roland didn't put in excellent preset voices (maybe there are some in the presets but we may have not heard them yet from the current line of demos), we have to shell out mucho dinero (much money) for the SRX cards to get the sounds we may want. So Roland gets you coming and going. A high priced Board made even higher because of low quality presets forcing the user to buy expensive SRX expansion cards. >> Hopefully Roland will put up some better demos in the near future that showcase better sounding preset voices. If their bag is empty and they aren't able to do that then be prepared to have deep pockets to get the E-80 to sound to your liking by way of SRX cards at $250.00 or more a pop.

Best regards,
Mike

If the tyros 2 has 300 MB compressed memory, then doesnt that mean it actually has more than 300?

so after compression it has a total of 300 mb...

#142130 - 07/15/06 05:42 AM Re: E-80 Up on Roland US Website
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
50 lbs ! and for only 61 notes?!

Scott

Frailty?....

#142131 - 07/15/06 06:43 AM Re: E-80 Up on Roland US Website
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
[/b]

If the tyros 2 has 300 MB compressed memory, then doesnt that mean it actually has more than 300?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Although I do read and pay attention to them, in the end, I pretty much do what my ears tell me and leave the specs for someone else. A perfect example of this ... NI's Bandstand with approximately 2 GB of wave samples vs a free soundfont ( SGM180 ) ... in an A / B demonstration. I did this with another musician and we both came to the conclusion that the soundfont sounded better. I'm glad I was able to have a listen before I shelled out the bucks for Bandstand.

AJ

#142132 - 07/15/06 09:09 AM Re: E-80 Up on Roland US Website
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:

[/B]

The Tyros2 has 300MB of 'linear' .wav rom as stated by Yamaha representatives. Linear PCM 'Pulse Code Modulation' - the method to change analog recordings into digital bits of information and used by Yamaha and Korg, etc. to produce their voice samples is done 'without' "companding" or in layman's terms - 'compression'. So when it says (by Yamaha's own words) 300MB of 'linear' .wav rom it is the "uncompressed" amount. Since it is already a known fact that Yamaha compressed the Tyros2 .wav rom, the 300MB 'linear' amount is not the true amount since compression was used. So in actuality the Tyros2 .wav rom is more in the neighborhood of 160MB of .wav rom depending like I said on how much compression Yamaha used.

Best regards,
Mike

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online