SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#90041 - 07/14/06 07:46 PM Wireless USB to Midi
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
My Tyros 2 is on one side of the room, my computer the other. It's not easy for me to run cables between the two to use my T2 as a midi source for the computer. CME has come out with a $249 wireless device to connect midi devices and/or computers. I know I will check it out.
http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM06/Content/CME/PR/WIDI-X-8.html

#90042 - 07/14/06 10:27 PM Re: Wireless USB to Midi
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Robert: Thanks for sharing. I'd been wondering when someone would finally come up with this. curious if this slows (or detrimentally affects) the speed of midi/usb tranmission compared to using traditional cables. Also curious what the range (feet) of usb/midi transmission is. - Scott

#90043 - 07/15/06 07:13 AM Re: Wireless USB to Midi
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Scott: They claim 80 meters without obstructions. Probably translates to works OK if units are within 20 meters of each other with obstructions. They don't list any meaningful specs about speed. However it does operate at 2.4ghz which is the same frequency as 802.11g which broadcasts at 54MB. Midi 1 is only 31.25k. Hopefully they have enough bandwidth.

My other concern after reviewing the specs is that the unit is either battery or USB powered. If you are using an unpowered USB port you will need a case of batteries (they state 20 hours battery life with use). Hopefully it can take a power adaptor as well.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online