SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#142076 - 10/26/05 05:09 AM Yamaha SA Voices
dschultze Offline

Loc: UK
Hi All,

Given the amount of interest around the Yam SA voices I was just wondering if I'm missing something. Listening to the voices on other manufacturers they are also articulated. For example the PA1x Harmonica AT has a beautiful after touch effect and on the Nylon guitar you can almost hear the strings being plucked. On the Technics KN7K the Jazz Trumpet has a fantastic trill when played at velocity and the trombone has some great slides depending on velocity also.

I must confess that my Yamaha experience is limited but whenever I've played one (including the new Tyros 2) I've never noticed anything ground breaking on the Yam keyboards that aren't implemented by others.

Don't get me wrong here as I love the Yamaha sound - it's beautifully rich and has a really easy sound on the ear. I was just wondering if I'm missing something from the SA sounds or whether they just get more attention due to their marketing focus.

David.

#142077 - 10/26/05 05:37 AM Re: Yamaha SA Voices
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
dschultze. You are spot on with your comments. The KORG PA1X already has this type of reactive voices avalable + all the other features provided.

#142078 - 10/26/05 06:30 AM Re: Yamaha SA Voices
to the genesys Offline

Yamaha is good at marketing.

The SAV are getting a lot of attention because Yamaha has the marketing sense to call it “SAV” and not just say that the sounds are real.

When an interested keyboard person hear the term “SAV” immediately you want to ask “whats that” and you begin to look in more to the product.

The Yamaha Tyros 2 is probably a great keyboard I am sure. But I think that generally, the Tyros 2 does not have any thing major different from the Korg pa1x or the Gem Genesys. The only difference is that Yamaha makes the Tyros 2.

#142079 - 10/26/05 06:50 AM Re: Yamaha SA Voices
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by dschultze:
the PA1x Harmonica AT has a beautiful after touch effect and on the Nylon guitar you can almost hear the strings being plucked. On the Technics KN7K the Jazz Trumpet has a fantastic trill when played at velocity and the trombone has some great slides depending on velocity also.

I've never noticed anything ground breaking on the Yam keyboards that aren't implemented by others.I was just wondering if I'm missing something from the SA sounds

Hi David. Similar effects you mention that both the PA1X and KN7000 have, are included in the Yamaha Tyros1 as well.

What Yamaha did on Tyros2 is take this to the NEXT LEVEL. Not only are there MORE multi- samples for each instrument voice, but which specific one of these is triggered (in live playing) is dependent not only on 'how hard' the note (velocity) is played, but a number of other important factors as welll. Here are the factors that determine which specific SA multi-sample is triggered:

1) Note Velocity: How hard you play the note
2) Playing Speed: Time between each note is played
3) Melodic Note Interval: distance between each note played: minor 2nd; Perfect 2nd; minor 3rd, major 3rd, perfect 4th, b5 (tri-tone), perfect 5th, minor 6th, major 6th, minor 7th, major 7ty, perfect octave. b9th, 9th, 10th, etc.

Tyros2 then utilizes Yamaha patented computer software algorithms to analyze the above together to determine which specific multi-sample is played for that given note played.

In addition, Super Articulation Voices, also include a remote foot controller 'user activated' effect such as the 'breath sound' of a saxophone.

Scott

#142080 - 10/26/05 07:18 AM Re: Yamaha SA Voices
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
To add to what Scott already said, I will make a couple of examples, drawn from my own experience with my Tyros 2:

1- The SA Saxophone not only has a soft and hard samples, but has also a legato sample, that plays when you play two notes in a legato way; this way of playing adds also a noise, made by the fingers touching the "frets" of the saxophone, to close or open the "holes" (sorry, I cannot find better words to describe this). This mechanic noise has nothing to do with the breath noise referred to by Scott.

2- The SA Acoustic Guitar has not only soft and hard samples, but also a fret noise that plays depending on the notes you play; specifically, I have noticed that it plays only after the last one of a series of notes, meaning that it does not play if you play notes in a succession, but only if you leave enough "dead space" after one note, just like a real guitar would.

These are just two examples, but -believe me- the Tyros 2 is a big step forward towards realism and my guess is that the same SA voices will be implemented in the next generation of Motif and will serve as a reference point for other keyboard manufacturers.

#142081 - 10/26/05 10:31 AM Re: Yamaha SA Voices
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
More discoveries:
if you select the SA Acoustic Guitar and play two notes a 4th apart, they will sound as a "hammer on" or "slide" sound.

#142082 - 10/26/05 10:32 AM Re: Yamaha SA Voices
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Dreamer explains it perfectly and this to me atleast puts the tyros2 above the pa1x pro.

#142083 - 10/26/05 11:23 AM Re: Yamaha SA Voices
dschultze Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for all the replies guys. I understand this much more now. I must get my hands on the Tyros 2 again and try some of this out now I know a little more about the way they work.

David.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online