SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#141899 - 10/31/05 05:18 AM Korg PA1x and Brett Wales
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Following on from his success with the Korg PA1x at the Caister Festival, (those who were there or have read my report, know that when it was featured, it outperformed both Tyros 2 and Roland G70 OS2, and unofficially became the best board at the show) Brett Wales has now joined the Korg UK Demonstration Team, which should bring more exposure to the Public of this keyboard. He will still be playing his Wersi Scala but like at Caister the PA1x will also be featured.
Further details at http://www.organfax.co.uk/news.html

Bill

#141900 - 10/31/05 05:35 AM Re: Korg PA1x and Brett Wales
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
In which way did it outperform the tyros 2? I've heard the PA1X and whilst it rocks for modern pop stuff, I personally don't think it delivers the natural sound and authenticity of the Yamaha.

Wow, I am sure to start a fight now!

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#141901 - 10/31/05 05:46 AM Re: Korg PA1x and Brett Wales
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
I've met Brett Wales and if he still relies on sequencing as he did with the Abacus when he demonstrated it to me, I can't understand why Korg has had him. Does he actually play live? Watching him run to his computer and play Chariots of Fire over a pre-recorded backing track did nothing for me, it's certainly not the way to sell an instrument when users like myself and many others on here play 100% live

#141902 - 10/31/05 07:34 AM Re: Korg PA1x and Brett Wales
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I can only speak from my own experience, (but as the applause from the 1500 or so audience after Brett had performed, was more complete and intense then either the G70 or Tyros 2, then they must have had similar thoughts) but I found that while the Tyros 2 and G70 had good points, they also had bad points, were as the Korg was just evenly balanced. (Like a good set of musicians that have been playing together for years, and so had that real polished feel)
Like most professional performers Brett use's both sequences and wave files to get the sound and authenticity of certain types of music, but plays live as much as possible. (While playing the Korg he did say that he wasn’t quite sure what to do with his feet, as the Wersi Scala he plays is a full organ and so his feet would normally be in control of the expression pedal, and also playing the bass lines of the music, plus his hands have 122 Keys to play with)
If you require further details have full read of my Caister Review.

Bill

#141903 - 10/31/05 08:52 AM Re: Korg PA1x and Brett Wales
to the genesys Offline

We have probably covered this in other discussions but I think it is worth mentioning here again.

If one is playing in arranger mode using the left hand to trigger chords and the right hand to play melody, is that considered playing more live than playing with both hands over a midi or MP3 file?

I think that the two approaches are both equal in terms of their liveness. The fact is that both ways, some sort of preprogrammed musical rendition is being used. Just as long as we use both hands.

The only 100% live keyboard playing IMO is by a keyboard player playing with out any preprogram materials, solo piano or organ player.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 10-31-2005).]

#141904 - 10/31/05 09:44 AM Re: Korg PA1x and Brett Wales
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I agree with abacus on his points mentioned, in fact the following morning after the previous nights concert I discussed with Brett his performance on the PA1X about sequencing and he agreed he had played to a sequence he had previously played and recorded into the Korg himself. Note....this was not a midi file he was playing to.
Glyn Madden (Yamaha) does the same thing. Glyn records his own percussion track amongst other tracks into every sequence to obtain the right feeling for the piece being play.
The korg PAX1 was for me equally as good (possibly better) than the T2 not forgetting the excellent G70 at Caister.
It just happens that Yamaha have money & staff to throw behind a new product launch.
We all pay our money and make our own choices for better or worse.

#141905 - 10/31/05 11:27 AM Re: Korg PA1x and Brett Wales
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Quote:
Originally posted by svpworld:
In which way did it outperform the tyros 2?

Korg runs way faster, dives deeper, and in a Greco-Roman event knocked the !@#$ out of T2.

It also doubles as a piece of exercise equipment - you can't help but build up those muscles when carrying the Korg to a gig.

Sorry, I could not resist - in truth I have no opinion of Tyros2, having not seen one yet.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online