SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#141717 - 11/02/06 05:14 PM Roland E-50 Impressions
leeclw Offline

I went to the nearby store yesterday and they had the E-50 in stock. Spent about 1 hour on the keyboard and here are my first impressions:

The first thing that struck me was the rubbery buttons it has. While it is nice to have the soft indicator light under those buttons, the rubbery feel and toy-like clicks make me wonder if I am really looking at a >US$1,200 instrument.

The sounds are pretty good. The default piano sound (Natural Piano) has a warm and rounded feel. There are other Piano samples like Superior Piano, Upright Piano or Classic Piano offer some variation should you prefer shaper or duller sounds as you please.

The key feel seems typical Roland. But compared to my old but excellent Roland XP-80, the E-50's keys somehow doesn't feel as good - a little more springy and not as crisp. Of course, this keybed beats any Yamaha keybed hands down. This is subjective - so if anyone has tried the E-50/E-60 please share your feedback as well.

I like Roland's user interface, but not the screen. The screen is grayscale and passive-matrix which is famous for its contrast problem. But I figure I would probably have to pay double if they use an active-matrix screen. Screen touch requires a firmer push - a gentle tap would not register.

In general, I think compared to the PSR-3000 (which i also tested), the E-50 is a better keyboard. While I reckon the build of the Yamaha is better, Roland wins on the key feel. Sound-wise, they are similar at least to my ears, but this is speaker and EQ dependent. PSR-3000 has more styles and has harmony capability. E-50 has a guitar mode, which the Yamaha doesn't, but I wonder how much I would use it. E-50's styles are also decent, especially "Live Band" styles, which I like.

[This message has been edited by leeclw (edited 11-02-2006).]

#141718 - 11/02/06 09:17 PM Re: Roland E-50 Impressions
mr9000 Offline

Of course, this keybed beats any Yamaha keybed hands down.
==
very skeptical on this one!i'll go look at roland E80 specs and return...ok i'm back..man and "yup" the E80's specs are nifty.Can you go into what the 4 modes of the feature "D-beAM" does??..i miss the days of floppies already.

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 11-02-2006).]

#141719 - 11/02/06 09:40 PM Re: Roland E-50 Impressions
leeclw Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
Of course, this keybed beats any Yamaha keybed hands down.
==
very skeptical on this one!i'll go look at roland E80 specs and return with my defenses on why i strongly don't think 'handsdown' is accurate

As far as keyBED is concerned, I think Roland's key feel are generally better. This is highly each individual's preference -- as long as the keyboard allows full expression of the player, I think it should be a good keyboard for him. But after I tried Roland (E-09, E-50) and Yamaha synth-style keyboards (PSR's and Tyros), I still prefer Roland's, and to some degree Korg's.

#141720 - 11/03/06 10:00 AM Re: Roland E-50 Impressions
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i am glad to see that you had the chance playing the e50 a little bit. as i was saying in another post, in about one month time i should get the e60 i ordered blindly (now many, including myself would say that is a stupid thing to do ) and i am soo anxious playing it!
while i was reading your post, i realize roland was clever introducing two keyboards that differ only on how many keys they have (61/76) but other than that almost identical, because this way they collect also the users that were/are not happy with psr3000.... see my point? and of course i was expecting (at least slightly) better sounds from e50.60 compared with psr3000 even only because is a newer instrument, if not a newer sound generation.....
now i am even more anxious for my new roland....
and consorning the use of guitar mode, i believe is a great tool for writing new styles, especially "live band" type, and not that much something you'd use while performing live.

#141721 - 11/03/06 10:08 AM Re: Roland E-50 Impressions
adimatis Offline

another thing: i had the impression the buttons were made from translucid plastic, just like exr's series.
is it possible to make them from translucid rubber?! maybe is some kind of silicon...

#141722 - 11/03/06 10:21 AM Re: Roland E-50 Impressions
leeclw Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by adimatis:
another thing: i had the impression the buttons were made from translucid plastic, just like exr's series. is it possible to make them from translucid rubber?! maybe is some kind of silicon...

I think you are right -- the buttons may be translucent plastic or silicon not rubber, but it does feel rubbery. I have not played the EXR keyboards so I can't make a comparison.

I prefer the buttons on the Yamahas and Korgs. They feel more solid and pro.

BTW, I've just tested the Korg PA800. It's a sweet board, and everything is great about it: keyfeel, buttons, features, sounds and build quality. The problem is the price - it is just way over my budget, and it only has 61 keys.

[This message has been edited by leeclw (edited 11-03-2006).]

#141723 - 11/03/06 01:49 PM Re: Roland E-50 Impressions
adimatis Offline

i dont know about pa800, and i am not sure about pa1x, but i remember when i had the pa50 one of the things i didnt like was the rubber buttons. they were ok, but i didnt appreciate much the feeling, even though their action was correct (except for one of the OTS buttons, but never mind! )

and btw, a funny story: a few years ago i had a kawai fs630 keyboard. quite a good instrument for the time. i left it over night somewhere in a wherehouse, with no bag or cover on it. in the morning, i was very surprised to see the one of the rubber buttons were... eaten by mice! hehe, after that i had only half of button to press...

#141724 - 11/03/06 01:57 PM Re: Roland E-50 Impressions
ruben Offline

Loc: tilburg, the netherlands
Last week I played on both the Roland E-50 and E-60.Here is my comment on the difference as regards the keys.The E60 has not only more keys but also a much better keyaction.Also the keys are longer, about one centimeter.Has anyone else noticed this difference?As to the sounds, there was too much noise in the musicstore to hear the quality of them.
The display is touchsensitive.Rather much pressure is needed to make any changes.
D-beam: I never had this on any arranger.
Is it just a gimmick or is it used in practise?

#141725 - 11/03/06 02:32 PM Re: Roland E-50 Impressions
adimatis Offline

ruben, give us more details.
d-beam can work as a button pretty much. you can assign functions to it, sounds, phrases, effects. i think is quite interesting and usefull feature.

#141726 - 11/03/06 03:42 PM Re: Roland E-50 Impressions
leeclw Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ruben:
The E60 has not only more keys but also a much better keyaction.Also the keys are longer, about one centimeter.

Hmm..ruben that's interesting. The keys in the real photos at rolandkeyboardclub.com appears to be the same size for both e50 and e60. Perhaps in reality e60 has longer keys?

Can you tell us a little more about the different key actions between the e50 and e60?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online