SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#141579 - 01/24/06 03:46 AM Suggestions for Contemporary Latin music
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Here in the New York Metro area, our communities are exploding with brothers and sisters of Latin heritage. I am getting More and More requests to play contemporary Latin Music, but I am clueless. The only song I know is the Cha Cha Slide which is the latin equivalent of the Electric Slide. Everything else I know Latin is very old or standard.

Any suggestions for new Latin music that I can play with an arranger?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#141580 - 01/24/06 06:09 AM Re: Suggestions for Contemporary Latin music
Dnj Offline

Elvis Crespo

#141581 - 01/24/06 08:12 AM Re: Suggestions for Contemporary Latin music
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi, as Latin myself, I recomend you repertoire from the "Queen" of Salsa, Celia Cruz, Carnaval, Candela was some of her last big hits, Candela, and many others...also Tito Puente, Jerry Rivera, J Lo's husband...Mark Antony, there are many other latin music, this styles is more salsa, brothers from Puerto Rico, Cuba, are more likely to dance this music, also Bachata, Son Cubanos, etc...from other countries like Mexico always the "Cumbia" is probably the most popular, there are many types of cumbia, grupera, sonidera, dinamitera, etc....so if you have any more questions, I l'll be glad to help you, send me an e-mail with more details.

#141582 - 01/24/06 10:07 AM Re: Suggestions for Contemporary Latin music
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:

Hi, as Latin myself, I recomend you repertoire from the "Queen" of Salsa, Celia Cruz, Carnaval, Candela was some of her last big hits, Candela, and many others...also Tito Puente, Jerry Rivera, J Lo's husband...Mark Antony, there are many other latin music, this styles is more salsa, brothers from Puerto Rico, Cuba, are more likely to dance this music, also Bachata, Son Cubanos, etc...from other countries like Mexico always the "Cumbia" is probably the most popular, there are many types of cumbia, grupera, sonidera, dinamitera, etc....so if you have any more questions, I l'll be glad to help you, send me an e-mail with more details.

Lo que el dijo What he Said!

------------------
www.tagworld.com/vicentelopez

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY!

[This message has been edited by ViLo (edited 01-24-2006).]

#141583 - 01/24/06 11:30 AM Re: Suggestions for Contemporary Latin music
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

I concur with the praise offered for Celia Cruz, but she is not contemporary. For contemporary, try Marc Anthony and Ricky Martin.

The Cha Cha slide is a kids song, and is not Latin in any way.

#141584 - 01/24/06 03:38 PM Re: Suggestions for Contemporary Latin music
kbrkr Offline

Thanks for the insight guys.

I was looking for specific songs. I sort of feel that Mark Anthony and Ricky Martin are too POP for the type of Latin music I'm looking for. Many people are sick of hearing Livin La Vida Loca, I need to Know, Bailamos, etc. I want some deep rooted Latin Dance tunes?

Or am I just confused?

Al

#141585 - 01/24/06 11:18 PM Re: Suggestions for Contemporary Latin music
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi again, you need to sort what is your concept of deep root latin....there are many deep root latin music, is not the same for a Puertorican to a Cuban, mexican, argentinian, Peruvian, etc....and by the way, Bailamos is not deep root latin music...is too contemporary. Among the latin music, we have many types, the tropical: Salsa, Bomba, Merengue, Cumbia, Vallenato, etc....the romantic, Son, BOlero, Bachatatango, Bolero RAnchero, the folk like Zapateado, Chotis, etc....and many more...so, I would ask my latin audience, what singers, groups, orchestras they listen, and take it from there.

#141586 - 01/25/06 09:53 AM Re: Suggestions for Contemporary Latin music
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
Hi. I have been enjoying playing various types of latin music for at least 40 years -- on various instruments, lately my PSR9000 -- and I am not of a latin heritage. One of the problems with "dance" latin music (of all types, but basically the salsa leaning/danzon music and related "faster" songs) is the almost necessary "montuno" sounds that are usually woven into the song, either in rhythm/background or even in the solos. And you better learn how to do reasonably good flute solos and brass work! And sometimes strings counterpoint! And as MDORANTES correctly noted -- there are many latin heritages, and the music is just as diverse.

I found over the years that I did better working first with "latin jazz" music, which let me merge my my greater familiarity and skill with jazz/pop tunes with coversions to latin beats. For more directly latin examples, listen to pianist Eddie Palmieri's work -- especially when gigging with others like Cal Tjader. Then listen to all of Tjader's work. There are others younger and still playing. Many others. Try Poncho Sanchez as a starter -- albums are crossover and full of good, solid stuff. One recent CD I like with a NYC orientation is the "Harlem Spanish Orchestra" with Ruben Blades. Very nice vocal and band renditions of various danceable/music hall tunes.

In addition to stars Ricky, Marc Antony and some others of the "new breed" mentioned -- there are vocalists like Tito Nieves who sing almost anything rather well, have a hot backing and are interesting in style and delivery. And who duet with other good latin voices, like La India (whom I like in small doses).

It is almost really worthwhile to go back to the 50s and start coming forward slowly to now, listening to both the "pure" latin artists (Tito Puente, Machito, many others both instrumental and vocal) and crossover artists and their work over the years. Pay close attention to the music from Puerto Rico and from Cuba. And don't forget the Brasilian music -- not just bossa nova emanates from that great country's artists. Traditional Mexican music (marachi, vera cruz) is more closely aligned to that country's traditional instruments and historical rhythms, but of course there are wildly popular "modern" groups from there as well.

There are available numerous styles for various PSR models online including some pretty good latin "starter" styles for the "typical" rhythms -- that can be experimented with and modded for slightly different types of latin music. If you have trouble finding more than the currently pop Tyros and 3000 styles, let me know and I'll help you find others. Some may not be readily available online these days.

Finally -- there are some fairly useful fake and technique books available that will help. Rebecca Mauleon has a decent beginner's intro to latin piano styles and techniques. SHER music publishing has this and others. You can search for more -- there is more.

#141587 - 01/25/06 01:23 PM Re: Suggestions for Contemporary Latin music
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Sting did an nice smooth cover of the Brazillian composer Ivan Lins' song "She Walks This Earth" a few years ago that is excellent and made the US pop charts. And not all Ricky Martin stuff is "She Bangs" (but that IS a good dance song)... I do my own cover of his song "Why Can't You Come To Me?". You can't go wrong with a good Santana tune either.

#141588 - 01/26/06 04:48 AM Re: Suggestions for Contemporary Latin music
kbrkr Offline

cajun100, an absolutely bang up reply. I can't thank you enough, very informative, and an excellent lesson. I'll do some homework to see what I can dig up.

I guess I'm looking for a few songs from the current Top 10 Pop Latin Dance Billboard List. I'll start there and see what I find and see if I can re-produce it on my T2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online