SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#140836 - 06/26/06 11:38 AM Z-5500 / Z-2300
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Just a question for the guys using logitechs as PA systems. I just got a Z-5500 after reading about them here on the forum. After doing some tests I find that allthough the sound quality and clarity is outstanding! (And I really mean OUTSTANDING!) the volume produced is still too low for my use. So I wondered if there are any tricks I could use to kick em into a second gear and get more volume from them. Right now I've hooked em up to the tape out on my mixing console, into the "Music" input on the side of the control console. Then I found that using the "MUSIC" setting got me the most volume. Then I kranked the dial up to full blast for all channels: Sub, Surround, Center and Volume. It rocked, but sadly not enough. I'm a bit disappointed, so I thought I should ask you guys if you had any tips on how to get more juice out of this system. I also wondered if I should take the system back, and test out two Z-2300 systems, instead. Any thoughts on this?

#140837 - 06/26/06 11:53 AM Re: Z-5500 / Z-2300
Dnj Offline

Gary Diamond wrote:............

"An addapter cable comes with the 5500 that has a pair of RCA plugs on one end, and a 1/8-inch stereo plug on the other. Plug the 1/8-inch plug into the remote reciver where you see the musical note icon. At the other end, you'll need to buy a pair of RCA to 1/4-inch male, mono addapter plugs. I got mine at Radio Shack, but I'm not sure where to tell you to get them in Cozumel. This will plug into the standard, stereo output of the keyboard (left & right out).

Now, on the back of the remote reciever you'll find a small switch. Place the switch in the full up position (6 Ch. Direct).

After plugging in all the appropriate speakers and hooking up the remote, turn on the main power, then turn on the secondary power with the remote control. Using the effects button, select Prologic II Music. This will provide power to all the speakers, including the center and sub.

The speaker volumes can be adjusted independently, which is a neat feature. Turn the sub down to about 20 to 25 percent. Now turn up the volume of the front, rear and center speakers to maximum.

Using the remote control, press the TEST button and allow the system to test itself. It will send a white noise signal through the front pair, rear pair, center, then the sub. Press TEST again to stop the process.

Now you're ready to play music. The best suggestion is to fire up a midi file, then walk around the room and set the volumes until everything sounds OK to you. Keep in mind, however, that you do not have an EQ with the system, therefore, your EQ control will be done using the keyboard's onboard EQ via the keyboard's mixing panel.

Hope this helps, but if not, I guess I'll just have to fly to Cozumel and set it up for you. It's a rotten job, but I'll make the sacrifice.

Gary"

#140838 - 06/26/06 12:44 PM Re: Z-5500 / Z-2300
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I can't imagine your not having enough volume. Seems something is wrong.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#140839 - 06/26/06 01:03 PM Re: Z-5500 / Z-2300
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Doc Z:

Some boards will do this.

The z5500 will amplify what it gets, if the signal is weak going in it will be much lower volume.

Don't recall which keyboared you have, but what you need to do is raise the signal strength coming out of your keyboard. This is done on most keyboards by going into the EQ settings and boosting the volume a bit.

I find the perfect match to be, set the manual master volume on the top of the keyboard to about 1 o'clock, with the control of the z5500 set to music and volume all the way up (not in the Boost mode) go into your keyboard eq and bring up the eq volume to normal loudness for the room your playing in. This alows you to master manual up if needed, or if you need to play to a bigger room you can go from boost (1 to 11) "I think it is" Boost is attained by control vol turned to max then keep turning and it will go into boost.

If you get a stong signal to the z5500's I guarantee you'll not worry about volume.

Hope this helps, if I can be of some help. yell.

pose

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 06-26-2006).]

#140840 - 06/26/06 03:28 PM Re: Z-5500 / Z-2300
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I strongly suspect that you are not using the BOOST volumes. When you reach the maximum volume level, continue to hold down the master volume increase button and in a few seconds you will enter the boost levels. The system will go up to boost 11, which will blow the windows out of your home. I rarely go above Boost 7, even for jobs with up to 100 people.

Hope this helps,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#140841 - 06/27/06 12:37 AM Re: Z-5500 / Z-2300
doc-z Offline

I have a DGX-305. Is this boost volume thingy on the Z-5500?

I'm not saying the volume wasn't loud, because it was! It is the most powerfull set of PC speakers I have ever heard! But just as a comparison, my 150Watts amp and two 12" PA cabinetts blew the socks off of the Z-5500 at just 20% volume, (Z-5500 @ 100% volume).

I will try to access that "Boost" thing to see if I can get enough volume out of that...

Doc-Z

#140842 - 06/27/06 12:38 AM Re: Z-5500 / Z-2300
doc-z Offline

BTW. do you guys think that 2x Z-2300 will give me more punch? Yes I know it's just 400watts compared to the 500 watts of Z-5500, but you get 2x subs @ 120 watts a piece, maybe it will give it more of a kick? I dunno.. any thoughts on this?

Doc-Z

#140843 - 06/27/06 02:30 AM Re: Z-5500 / Z-2300
doc-z Offline

do the Z-2300 have this "boost" function also? how loud can they play?

Doc-Z

#140844 - 06/27/06 04:47 AM Re: Z-5500 / Z-2300
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Doc,

The Boost feature is only in the Z-5500 system. Merely turn the master volume control to maximum, then continue to turn it up. After a few seconds of turning the volume knob you'll enter the boost volume feature. The range is from Boost 1 to Boost 11. Boost 11 is deafening for most folks, and I suspect that exposure to volume levels this high could produce hearing damage. The Z-5500 is far more powerful than the Z-2300.

Additionally, make sure you have set the system's effects to Pro-Logic Music II, set the small switch on the back of the receiver to 6 Channel Direct, and make sure you are plugged into the 1/8 inch jack on the side of the remote receiver where you see the musical note. All of these are very important steps.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#140845 - 06/27/06 12:08 PM Re: Z-5500 / Z-2300
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Gary: You the man!!! I had no idea about the Boost feature. Only down side is now I can only play in rooms with stronger windows. I just looked on the Logitech site and could find no info on the Boost feature.

1. Are there any other undocumented secrets to know about the z5500?

2. I am using the PL-II Music setting. I plug into the back of the control unit (green jack) as directed by Logitech when using a stereo source, with excellent results. I could not tell any difference between using the green jack on the back and the jack with the musical note on the side. Also, flipping the 6.1 switch made no difference that I could tell either. Either setting produced sound from the center speaker. The issue seems to be making sure you are using PL-II music. Am I missing something?

[This message has been edited by RobertG (edited 06-27-2006).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online