SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#140368 - 01/30/05 06:47 AM G-70: Program Change from Song on Upper1
chdolar Offline

Hi folks,

got my G-70 3 days ago as replacement for my olde G-800. Nice to have keyboard, although some things may still need some attention and work from the developers at Roland (don't want to discuss here, everything's said in some older threads...).

There are a few things where an more experienced G-70 user may help me please:

1. I can't find a setting to get the Upper1 / 2 and so on sounds changed by the recorder. Playing a song (SMF) with the G-70 from the internal memory "program change" events are ignored by the keyboard (they should change the sound I can play on upper1/2 etc.).

The G-800 behaved this way. The instrument on channel 4 could be played on upper 1, channel 6 on upper 2 and so on.

Interestingly the G-70 behaves right if I play the SMF on my computer with G-70 as sound module - the upper1 part changes, even with showing the right tone on the display.

Is there a possibility to get this working the "old fashioned way" or do i have to set up user programs with song links for every single song, which are quite some - and all optimized for G-800?! I think there is a setting somewhere in the midi-section which I and maybe the german instruction manual also :-) missed..?

2. Any Roland insider here who has maybe a glimpse of rumours about a new version of RDBM which works with the G-70?

thanks
Christoph

(just edited this message because I forgot to say thank you :-)

[This message has been edited by chdolar (edited 01-30-2005).]

#140369 - 01/30/05 07:04 AM Re: G-70: Program Change from Song on Upper1
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
ON the G1000 and probably the G70, you can go into midi/song and turn the song links to realtime parts, individually, to OFF ..this will eliminate the sound changes to your upper parts[or lower, all]..You will have to save the setting in a user performance..I save my preferred SMF playback settings in a Performance for immediate use in song play, and still retain all my preferred sounds to play live over the sequences..

BTW, I was left with the impression the G70 does not need to use a RDBM software as the previous Roland arrangers ..Can you not load files directly to the flash memory[via USB or PCMCIA adapter], and play from the memory location??

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 01-30-2005).]

#140370 - 01/30/05 07:28 AM Re: G-70: Program Change from Song on Upper1
chdolar Offline

Hi Fran,

thx for your reply.

It seems that I want just the other thing: When there is a program-change-event in the SMF on channel 4, the upper part shall change.
I used this feature on the G-800 to play SMF's which needed to be played with almost no pause between - so the SMF takes care for the right sounds and I don't have to change manually.

Christoph

PS: yes, the G-70 has some RDBM features on board: naming songs, putting them into categories, entering genre, singer, etc. but you have to type in all the values via a numeric pad on the touch-screen which buttons have double and triple meanings and letters on it - just like typing an SMS into a cellphone. I hate SMS :-) And you can not delete more than one song at a time...

#140371 - 01/30/05 07:55 AM Re: G-70: Program Change from Song on Upper1
chdolar Offline

I forgot to wrtie:

I can modify the MIDI-settings so that the keyboard-parts (realtime-parts) up1/2/3, lw1/2/3 and bass receive changes. This works when the Midifiles are lpayed from the computer. But from the internal recorder - no way.

C

#140372 - 01/30/05 01:37 PM Re: G-70: Program Change from Song on Upper1
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chdolar:

1. I can't find a setting to get the Upper1 / 2 and so on sounds changed by the recorder. Playing a song (SMF) with the G-70 from the internal memory "program change" events are ignored by the keyboard (they should change the sound I can play on upper1/2 etc.).

Hallo Christoph,
I think you can change the sound during runing a song (backing). I tried it as follows with the
internal song 'Amazing Grace'. After pressing the buttom 'Minus one' and in it track 4, I selected
the 16 Track sequenzer and the song. I inserted per instance a program change 1 at track 4
bar 12 using micro edit. After starting the song I could play first time the selected choir and at
bar 12 the piano on the keyboard. The part select light has to be off. I hope, I understood your
question. Regards Hanspeter

#140373 - 01/31/05 01:05 AM Re: G-70: Program Change from Song on Upper1
o3bor Offline

G-70 recorder tracks can behave in two different modes: normal GS parts or Real Time parts.
When you record a song playing it from the keyboard, when you enter in 16 trk sequencer you can see that some tracks are marked as UP1, UP2, etc. instead of 4, 6, etc., and they actually interact with corresponding real time parts.
When you load a normal midi file, the tracks are all normal tracks and they don't change real time parts settings. This is a wanted behaviour so that a midi base don't modify your keyboard playing.
If you want to change a normal part into a real time part you have to do as follows:
1) Load your midi file
2) Exchange the desired part track (for instance, trk 4 for UP1) with an empty track (using Track Edit -> Track Exhange)
3) Select the desired track (4 in above example) in 16 trk sequencer window
4) Press "Rec"
5) Select Rec Mode as 'Replace' and then Rec Type as UP1
6) Make an empty recording; trk4 will be marked as UP1
7) Re-make the Track Exchange as at above point 2

Now you will have your original track marked as UP1 and will influence the real time keyboard part.

I know it's a tricky and little bit complicated procedure, but it works...

#140374 - 01/31/05 01:12 AM Re: G-70: Program Change from Song on Upper1
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chdolar:
2. Any Roland insider here who has maybe a glimpse of rumours about a new version of RDBM which works with the G-70?

Rumor has it that a new version of RDBM will be available in the near future.

#140375 - 01/31/05 03:51 AM Re: G-70: Program Change from Song on Upper1
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by o3bor:
G-70 recorder tracks can behave in two different modes: normal GS parts or Real Time parts.
When you record a song playing it from the keyboard, when you enter in 16 trk sequencer you can see that some tracks are marked as UP1, UP2, etc. instead of 4, 6, etc., and they actually interact with corresponding real time parts.
When you load a normal midi file, the tracks are all normal tracks and they don't change real time parts settings. This is a wanted behaviour so that a midi base don't modify your keyboard playing.
If you want to change a normal part into a real time part you have to do as follows:
1) Load your midi file
2) Exchange the desired part track (for instance, trk 4 for UP1) with an empty track (using Track Edit -> Track Exhange)
3) Select the desired track (4 in above example) in 16 trk sequencer window
4) Press "Rec"
5) Select Rec Mode as 'Replace' and then Rec Type as UP1
6) Make an empty recording; trk4 will be marked as UP1
7) Re-make the Track Exchange as at above point 2

Now you will have your original track marked as UP1 and will influence the real time keyboard part.

I know it's a tricky and little bit complicated procedure, but it works...

Yes, I have been a little bit beside. Your solution is pretty good. Yes, it works.
Thanks Hanspeter

#140376 - 01/31/05 12:13 PM Re: G-70: Program Change from Song on Upper1
chdolar Offline

Hi all,

thx for all your suggestions.

HansPeter, I tried your suggestion, but couldn't work it out - I think you have to record to define the track as realtime-part-track.
or3bor, your method functions well, but as you said: a bit of procedure...
With a little trying (and a bit of luck ;-) I found one method without having to copy / replace the tracks.

1. Load song
2. In Sequencer choose track 4, Press Rec, Alter "Rec Mode" to "Replace", "Rec Type" to UP1.
3. Then press a Tone button for opening the tone selection, press Exit (!)
4. Start recording, Stop recording.
5. Save the song and you're done.

Besides changing the Track to UP1 and keeping the instrument (not setting the one you chose in point 3) no midi-information is overwritten if you don't play any note!

I don't know exactly why, but as I'm a computer programmer I would say "It's not a bug, it's a feature" :-))

These Informations about the tracks are not stored in the MIDI file.

So for the news about the new RDBM - thank god. All you Rolands out there: here's my wishlist:

1. Let me define tracks as Realtime part - tracks right in the RDBM, maybe for multiple songs at once :-)))

Enjoying his life with his G-70 again
Christoph

[This message has been edited by chdolar (edited 01-31-2005).]

#140377 - 02/01/05 12:07 AM Re: G-70: Program Change from Song on Upper1
o3bor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chdolar:

I don't know exactly why, but as I'm a computer programmer I would say "It's not a bug, it's a feature" :-))

Of course, it's a feature
Thanks for discovering it.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online