SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#140197 - 08/29/05 11:11 AM Re: Thinking of Don M and others as Katrina approaches
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Also, don't run the generator inside your house, else, you might wake up dead. Carbon monoxide.

My wife teases me about that... I say "wake up dead " all the time. I musta went to the Yogi Berra school of English Language.

On a serious note.. Carbon Monoxide is nothing to fool with. I have detectors in my home. Unfortunately, one of my doctors apparently didn't. He, his wife, and a house guest all perished from CO poisoning recently. Scary stuff...

AJ

#140198 - 08/29/05 11:34 AM Re: Thinking of Don M and others as Katrina approaches
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Don't worry I know all the dangers of using generators. To be honest I can't even imagine how and why someone with minimal common sense would run a gas powered generator (in their home). It's like letting a push mower run in your home. People don't realize that these things use 3.5 hp gas motors.

I plan on buying one that at least has the watt capacity of the one kbrkr has. Plus I have a nice little place for it on my carport (outide)

My main concern is the refrigerator, simple lighting, sump pump (only 1/2 hp), and use of the microwave

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#140199 - 08/29/05 01:00 PM Re: Thinking of Don M and others as Katrina approaches
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Aren't you forgetting something? (keyboard)
Starkeeper

#140200 - 08/29/05 03:35 PM Re: Thinking of Don M and others as Katrina approaches
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Starkeeper,
When the storms arrive, I'll be shutting down my keyboard, and both computers, as well as unplugging them ALL from the wall Can't take any chances there.

It's been a while since we last spoke, how's the PSR-550 going for you, or have you changed models? I have two keyboard purchases coming up very soon. One will be the new Casio WK-3700, and the other will be a good upper end arranger. Have a few in mind, Tyros, Korg PA series, and so on.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#140201 - 08/29/05 05:41 PM Re: Thinking of Don M and others as Katrina approaches
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello.............I speak from last years Hurricane Charley. After the electricity was restored there were NUMEROUS electrical disturbances as the power company restored the whole area. This lasted for several months. My backup UPS also supplies a regulated, filtered power supply. I can't say enough on how important this is to sensitive electronics.

It's also hard to imagine how many well intentioned folks hooked up their generators to their main circuit panel but DID NOT turn off the main breaker. They sent current out of their homes to unsuspecting places. This can be dangerous. More people here were killed after the storm during the cleanup, than during the storm itself. Please be smart!! -charley

#140202 - 08/29/05 06:24 PM Re: Thinking of Don M and others as Katrina approaches
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Oh yea, I forgot Computer+internet and keyboards.

Thanks for reminding me Starkeeper ;-)

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#140203 - 08/31/05 08:38 AM Re: Thinking of Don M and others as Katrina approaches
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've been without internet service for the past two days as a result of the storm. Thank God that's the only effect we've had from it, another than a vast influx of refugees.
As far as New Orleans proper, I think the worst may STILL be yet to come.
DonM

#140204 - 08/31/05 08:41 AM Re: Thinking of Don M and others as Katrina approaches
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Donny...We will continue to keep all of you folks in the storm area in out thoughs and prayers....keep the faith....
Tony Rome

#140205 - 09/03/05 07:15 AM Re: Thinking of Don M and others as Katrina approaches
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I’m having 10 family members up from N.O. My mother, two sister’s, and their families etc. They are leaving their motels for my place today. Some are in North La. one in Arkansas and the other in Oklahoma. One sister had to leave their van that brok down in La. They rented a car and made it to Oklahoma for a motel. They left before the hurricane hit.
My brother is a fireman. I told him to stay away from there. He was on vacation as the storm hit and is supposed to return to work today Friday. They are shooting at fireman trying to help people. A very large shopping center in their area caught fire and the fireman had to abandon the fight being shot at.
My wife, Penny's sister died during hurricane but not related to the hurricane. She had brain surgery just after the hurricane passed and died during the night. She had a blood clot on the brain and had been falling down recently. A couple of trees fell on her house and car and completely destroyed them.
My mother in law was sitting in the room where the tree fell in through the roof. Other then stress and having to make cremation arrangements, it looks like she will be OK. Penny's other sister in Hattiesburg where this all took place is there to help with my mother in law and salvage property. This is in Hattiesburg where the eye of the hurricane passed. Penny’s other sister’s home is OK.
My family will need jobs and help from FEMA when they get here. Yesterday they signed up for unemployment the ones who are eligible.
Friday evening my brother the fireman made it to Algiers the Westbank part of New Orleans Parish He looked at all the family members homes and said all were missing shingles but for the most part in tack. He lost some roof vents and his patio. He said the area which gets a foot of water in heavy rains for the most part was dry but trees were down everywhere.
I'm glad I now have this brick job that I was hating up until this hurricane thing happened.
We have one 15 year old that will need to register for school. My neice has an 18 month baby.
Even without the flood waters in the area my brother thinks it will be months of fallen tree removal not to mention electric and sewerage problems that need attention.
You know me I'm for shooting looters that are stealing guns and ammo. I would help people getting food.
A group had a postal truck loaded with guns and ammo on the Westbank. One policeman and one fireman were shot.
Boo

#140206 - 09/03/05 07:26 AM Re: Thinking of Don M and others as Katrina approaches
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
I can't begin to imagine what you people in the storm area are going through....
My prayers are with all of you.
John

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online