SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139958 - 07/28/05 04:55 PM Seeking a Yamaha 9/8 Style suitable for: The Impossible Dream !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
When I perform the song "The Impossible Dream" on the Tyros, I utilize the Tyros' "6-8Soul" style at 69 bmp, of which actually has a 12/8 feel, not 6/8. Why Yamaha named it '6-8' is your guess as much as mine. I find the 12/8 ballad feel fittingly appropriate, giving the song a lot of intimacy, and provides a fresh sounding rendition that my audiences seem to appreciate.

Anyway, this weekend I'm scheduled to play for a vocalist who wants to sing "The Impossible Dream" as 'originally composed': in 9/8 time. Problem is, as far as I know, the Tyros doesn't include a 9/8 style. Does anyone here know where I might find a fittingly appropriate Yamaha 9/8 style to be used for playing the "Impossible Dream"? If you have one, I would be grateful if if you might share it with me. Thanks. - Scott

#139959 - 07/28/05 07:16 PM Re: Seeking a Yamaha 9/8 Style suitable for: The Impossible Dream !
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, why not use a SMF..take out all the parts you prefer to play..If your quest singer wants the original score ..she may appreciate the SMF version...

Let me know if you decide to use a SMF,,I can search and see if I have a good one......but you will have to tweak it for your Tyros..

#139960 - 07/28/05 08:17 PM Re: Seeking a Yamaha 9/8 Style suitable for: The Impossible Dream !
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Why not use the 12-8 Ballad? It really lends itself well to this particular song as well as Memories from the Cats musical.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#139961 - 07/28/05 08:29 PM Re: Seeking a Yamaha 9/8 Style suitable for: The Impossible Dream !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott.... Fran's suggestion might work if you delete ALL the parts other than drums and play what you and the vocalist want to hear ... Does the TY have the ability to make a 'style' from a SMF?
t.

#139962 - 07/29/05 01:39 AM Re: Seeking a Yamaha 9/8 Style suitable for: The Impossible Dream !
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Try to find a waltz pattern with no inside movement, just 1/4 notes, and play the triplets yourself - maybe a jazz waltz might work too.....

After all 9/8 is just 3/4 with some swing!!

#139963 - 07/29/05 05:30 AM Re: Seeking a Yamaha 9/8 Style suitable for: The Impossible Dream !
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I never did like that song, too sappy.

Tom

Tom

#139964 - 07/29/05 06:31 AM Re: Seeking a Yamaha 9/8 Style suitable for: The Impossible Dream !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I may have told this story before, but when I was playing with the band in NY we had a request for this song, which we hadn't played in quite a while ... The vocalist wasn't sure of the lyrics, soo I told him I would feed him the first words of the line ... I said "To dream ... he sang...I said "To fight" ... he sang ... I said "To s**t ... he busted out laughing ... end of song we were never able to play it again without laughing ...
t.

#139965 - 07/29/05 10:19 AM Re: Seeking a Yamaha 9/8 Style suitable for: The Impossible Dream !
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
there are lot's of 9/8 styles for most KORGs(mostly turkish or azeri music).if you can convert them to yammie format,you'll be fine.

#139966 - 07/29/05 11:08 AM Re: Seeking a Yamaha 9/8 Style suitable for: The Impossible Dream !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Fran, thanks for sending me the 3 different SMF versions of the "Impossible Dream". Particularly interesting that each utilized different time signatures: 12/8, 9/8, and 4/4.

No disrespect to SMF users intended, but not only would these SMFs (commercially produced?) require a lot of Tyros re-voicing & tweaking, but the tracks sound (at least to my ears) 'heavily quantized' & genericly stereo-typical of 'cookie cutter' sounding karaoke backing tracks that lack convincingly live realism.

Thanks to Diki's excellent suggestion of utilizing 3/4 styles: (3/4 x 3 = 9/8), I think adapting one of the Tyros Preset internal 3/4 styles to be the ideal solution. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that myself. Anyway, there are actually quite a few Tyros '3/4 styles' which I think will work well for the song "Impossible Dream". Here are my top Tyros 3/4 style choices for this song:

JazzWaltzSlow
Guitar Serenade
English Waltz

Best of all, these sound terrific right out of the box. No tweaking required. Thanks again to all for all who responded, especially Diki.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-29-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online