SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139896 - 12/02/01 12:40 AM How to use an equalizer
Datablues Offline

Loc: Nuernberg, Germany
Hi everybody...

nearly every new keyboard today gives you an grafical or parametrical equalizer. Of course I know how an equalizer works, enhancing some frequency bands or reducing others.
But has anyone experinces which settings fits to which sound... e.g. Bass, Drums, Piano...

The reason why I´m asking is...
in my band we finished the first demo CD with some covered songs. It was done with a harddisc recording system. My guitar player used afterwards Logic Audio and some VST PlugIns for e.g. equalizing. He tried a lot of different setups for voices or instruments and got some help from the internet. The differences between the different setups were incredible. Has anyone experiences how to use the equalizer for an arranger keyboard?

Thanks for answering

Datablues

Datablues

#139897 - 12/02/01 01:13 PM Re: How to use an equalizer
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
This is the one thing that the PA80 does not have ( a master eq at least in version 2.0 except of course as a dedicated effect itself ) and the PSR2000 does. In fairness though, the preset eq is good enough on the PA80 that in most cases for playing it in real time it hardly matters to me. In the 2000 I can tweak both the master EQ and control two channels of eq for each instrument part. It does help somewhat in enhancing the sounds of the styles and patches to fit my tastes when playing in real time. Some of the instrument patches can be brightened up a bit in this manner while others, like the electric guitars, which sound a bit tinny to me on general on the PSR2000 can have a little more mid range and bass added to them.

When recording however, I prefer to use external software to work on the EQ of each track, because of the greater amount of control. I also prefer to do my mixing externally and sometimes I also like to use external effects for certain instrument tracks as well, so most of the stuff I record will be recorded to wav files seperately by individual tracks rather than as one wav file already mixed down coming from one of my boards.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-02-2001).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online