SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139555 - 10/28/05 09:43 PM used Z-5500 tonight - first time
vclocke Offline

Loc: riverside, ca, usa
Well, I tried out my new Logitech Z-5500's tonight at a gig for about 150 people. Small auditorium, say maybe 70ftx40ft. While the sub was great I wasn't real happy with the sat's. I'm sure they might have been better with eq changes but I didn't have enough time to test, test, test. Everyone seemed to like the sound but it just didn't work for me. I think I will go back to my Behringer mixer/amp and maybe look for new speakers. I did mount the Z-5500 sats on speaker stands about 5 1/2 feet off the floor. The vocals were ok throught the sats too. I guess I'm just used to bigger speakers - maybe I can find something fairly light. Well Gary (D), I was really excited about the "Z" - Maybe I need you here to set them up for me. Maybe I'll wait 'til early next year when I buy my new PSR3000.

OK, there's the feedback on my Z-5500 experience. Now, to decide if I want to keep it for home or sell it to the first $225 (plus ship) that comes along.

vc

------------------
Vern

#139556 - 10/29/05 05:28 AM Re: used Z-5500 tonight - first time
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Vern,

First and foremost, the EQ settings of the PSR-3000 are critical, even when using the Bose PAS system. Every sound system is different and requires its own EQ settings.

Next, what volume level were you running the Z-5500 at? For a room that size I have been running the system at Boost 5 to Boost 6 on average, and that's usually more than enough volume with the keyboard's main volume set at about the 1 O'Clock position.

One thing you must consider is that you are not working with a conventional sound system and monster speakers. Consequently there is a tendency to believe you are not reaching your audience with sufficient volume levels, however, this is usually not the case. I, like many other performers, thought the same thing when I first tried out the Bose PAS, which again, is not a conventional PA system. In both cases the volume levels were more than sufficient and increasing the volume usually resulted in blasting the audience, which is not what I or anyone in this business should do.

The best advice I have is do not be hasty is selling the Z-5500. Instead, get an opinion from your audiences, and from your spouse--both of which will have no qualms about telling you if they like or dislike what they're hearing. (Other musicians are too opinionated, especially old guys like me!) If I had the time I would hop on a plane and head west to help, but from now till after Christmas I'm booked solid.

I gotta' go sailin',

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#139557 - 10/29/05 07:53 AM Re: used Z-5500 tonight - first time
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Vern:

Don't give up yet on them, I saw the same problem, I switched from using the Behringer (kx1200 x 2) I was used to being blasted by their close proximity to me, and it took a little twink'n and getting use to sound being everywhere instead of blasting right at me.

What I came up with, was to set the user 1 eq on the keyboard for just the z5500, upped the volume and made it more trebably.(here I played around with the settings and used the grand piano's voice to get the best plus checking my vocal setup to get it the clearest) found a sweet spot, and all voice's are georgous)" well maybe not the vocal" lol. then run the z5500 master vol on boost 5/6 , sub with 3or4 squares highlighted, max on center and settings to direct 96-24 effect: pl II movie. position the center speaker so you can hear good at the keyboard, (sub on floor to the right, center on the left,turned a tad toward you)and the satts on the stands about 4 or 5 feet to either side I prefer them being just about even with the keyboard for positioning front to back. This should work
for you, especially if you have onboards on the kybd, or the tyros system, running also. What I like about this the most, is I'm getting more sound than anyone in the room, so when it's just a tad to much for me, its perfect for everyone else, I'm use to loud on the bandstand.

Another tidbit: I took the seat off a old drummers throne, and welded a 1/4" carriage bolt to the vertical height tube, (the center speaker sets on top here) and I used a 1/2" thick piece of quality plastic I had laying around and made a little platform for the controller to velcro onto, this bolts onto the vertical tube also about 9" inches below the center speaker.

Hope this may be of some help..........Pose

ps:
I just live up the street from you a bit SUSANVILLE, And we wondered where the music was coming from last night,,,HE HE

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 10-29-2005).]

#139558 - 10/29/05 10:12 AM Re: used Z-5500 tonight - first time
vclocke Offline

Gary and Pose,

Thanks for the reply !

As I suggested - I was a little disappointed in the Z-5500's last night. One problem is that I don't do any "regular" gigs where I can set the system up and check the room out well. Occasionally a gig with the drama groups or special shows around the area. So, I guess it will take some getting used to. First of all I didn't use the "boost". I have seen you (Gary) talk about the boost before but was thinking it was only for the sub. I searched SZ for info on using the boost but didn't see it anywhere. Maybe you could refresh me on how to use the boost correctly. Also, I know both of you set your satts up next, or close, to the keyboard - that was not how I had them set up. I was set up on the right side of the stage (below stage level) and had the right satts within 4 feet of me and the left satts were on the left side of stage about 24 feet from me. I travelled around the room when I set them up and they sounded pretty good. I gave them a little bit extra since when I set them up the room was pretty empty. My keyboard master volume was up all the way (couldn't have my on-board speakers on because of that) and the controller was set at full volume on 6 ch system. I still have tonight and tomorrow night to do the same program. I think tonight I will use my Behringer Europower PMH8805 and maybe go back to the Z-5500 on Sunday if I get the boost figured out. My program is piano and strings and one song with rhythm.

Thanks guys I appreciate your help

vc

------------------
Vern

#139559 - 10/29/05 10:35 PM Re: used Z-5500 tonight - first time
vclocke Offline

Gary and Pose,

I used the Z-5500's again tonight (Saturday) and "found" the boost - ran the system on boost 7; what a difference from last night. With that setting I was able to set the keyboard (PSR2100) master volume on about 1:00 o'clock and then use my onboard speakers as monitors. Everything worked great. much better than last night. And, I asked several people what it sounded like towards the back of the room - "good". So, I guess the Z-5500 will be a keeper.

Thanks again guys !!

vc

------------------
Vern

#139560 - 10/30/05 05:52 AM Re: used Z-5500 tonight - first time
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Vern,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you earlier about the boost details. Fortunately, you've found this wonderful feature and everything is OK. Believe me, your audiences will love what they hear.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online