SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139544 - 03/09/02 11:42 AM HELP!!! PSR 740
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
HELP, I have gotten to where I can't stand lugging my KN6000 when I am playing somewhere. I found a used Yamaha PSR 740 today. It's about 12 pounds lighter and seems to have lot's of great features. I've heard good comments here on it. I brought it home and hooked it up. I have one big problem. I have 2 Yamaha speakers hooked to it. I seem to have no control over the volume to those speakers. I can change the master volume all I want and the volume level to those speakers never changes. The speakers are Yamaha KA10's. They originally were sold as companion speakers to a Yamaha modular organ. (The HX series.) I have used them with Yamaha keyboards, Roland keyboards, and my Technic keyboards and they work great......so I don't think the problem is the speaker. Is there a setting somewhere I haven't found to make them work with the PSR740......or is the darn keyboard broke????

I hope someone has an answer since I have till Monday morning to return or pay for the keyboard. It's not much good to me if speakers don't work right with it. It looks like a great keyboard so I hope someone has an answer!!!!

Marilyn

#139545 - 03/09/02 01:15 PM Re: HELP!!! PSR 740
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Marilyn,
If I remember correctly, to use those speakers they need to have their own independent volume control. If memory serves me right the master volume on the PSR-740 will only control the onboard speakers and not external, which in a way works quite well because many owners have commented on how they can use the onboard speakers as monitors..... I don't think your keyboard is broken. This is just another of of Yamaha's tricky things...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#139546 - 03/09/02 03:00 PM Re: HELP!!! PSR 740
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Marilyn,
Squeak in right, to control the volume of the external speakers you will need a foot volume control!
But until you get one you can use a stereo plug adapter in your headphone jack.
Then take your two cables from the adapter to your speakers. That way you can use your master volume to control your speakers!
All the best,
Nobby

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 03-09-2002).]

#139547 - 03/09/02 03:22 PM Re: HELP!!! PSR 740
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow - we complain about heavy kbs all the time, but I NEVER thought of the kn6000 as a beast. That's not heavy at all, compared to most of the rest. The reason the 740 is so light is that the speakers are so underpowered. (basically useless, out of the home)
The newer psr2000 is a much better bet if you play out - better speakers, better mic input, same light weight, but a beefier system, and they give you two sets of outputs on it. One is fixed volume, and the other follows the knob. I'd check it out b4 you get the 740 - it's a BIG improvement.

#139548 - 03/09/02 03:49 PM Re: HELP!!! PSR 740
Anonymous
Unregistered

Marilyn...
Try running the a speaker from the Phone line on the extreme left of the player side of the keyboard. Your master will control the volume output from that jack.
If you output from the back, you will need to go thru a seperate amp and use a volume pedal.

Eddie

#139549 - 03/09/02 05:58 PM Re: HELP!!! PSR 740
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I once owned the 740 and I remember the output volume thing well. Eddie is also correct. The only way to control the output using the volume knob on the board is to output from the headphone jack instead of the "line" outputs. The Only downfalls are that you'll lose the internal speakers. Also if I recall correctly, I think the headphone output was a tad noisy, but not objectionably so. I now have the PSR2000, although mine is down for the count right now with OS issues. Still, if and when mine gets corrected, I'd concur with Uncle Dave on this one. The 2000 is a much better board for playing out live, and she's fairly lightweight to boot.

Korg AJ

#139550 - 03/09/02 11:50 PM Re: HELP!!! PSR 740

Well the KN6000 is 34 pounds and that' heavy for me! I realize that is nothing compared to the PSR9000. The 740 is only 22 pounds and makes a big difference. I don't play out that much so don't want to spend a lot of money for a spare keyboard. I think the 740 will do fine for my needs. Thanks for the advice.....who knows I may fall in love with Yamaha. The last Yamaha product I had was an organ, an EL 90 and I was NOT impressed with it after I got it home, a big mistake!
My first keyboard was a Yamaha PSR6300 and that was fabulous at the time!

Now I just play keyboards. I love my KN6000 but just find it too heavy to drag around, but don't really want to spend a lot on another one, I think the 740 will work fine for that. Sounds like I should look for the foot volume control.

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Wow - we complain about heavy kbs all the time, but I NEVER thought of the kn6000 as a beast. That's not heavy at all, compared to most of the rest. The reason the 740 is so light is that the speakers are so underpowered. (basically useless, out of the home)
The newer psr2000 is a much better bet if you play out - better speakers, better mic input, same light weight, but a beefier system, and they give you two sets of outputs on it. One is fixed volume, and the other follows the knob. I'd check it out b4 you get the 740 - it's a BIG improvement.

#139551 - 03/09/02 11:53 PM Re: HELP!!! PSR 740

Thanks everyone for all your help. At least I know the 740 isn't broken and I guess there are some solutions to my problem. I will try using the earphone jack, then look around for a foot volume pedal.

Thanks again.
Marilyn

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online