SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#139384 - 02/28/05 07:47 AM Re: A Little Time For Me
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Regarding the guitar sounds on the Tyros:

As some of you have mentioned the guitar sounds on the Tyros (and I assume the 1500, 3000) sound excellent to my ear. I really do think it one of the outstanding features of this keyboard and the main reason why I shall be keeping it for a while yet!

One of my favourite styles on the TY (and again I am assuming it is on the 1500 and the 3000) is UNPLUGGED. This is a simple guitar backing and is so versatile. Here is a little demo (just over 1mb) I did a little while ago of the song 'Love Hurts'.

I recorded it because someone wanted to hear a quick snatch of my vocal 'accoustic' as it were. I think it shows the accoustic guitar sound off wonderfully. What do you think?
Love Hurts

Best wishes
Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

#139385 - 02/28/05 08:32 AM Re: A Little Time For Me
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Hi Tony,

I used to be a member of the Guild! I sent some of my stuff into their assessment service and got really good feedback.

The publishing company associated with them even rang me up, wanting me to produce an entire original CD for release through them. They loved the first tracks I sent, but didn't like the last few so I just kind of let it die there. lol. Sometimes I still kick myself for not trying harder to please them!

I tried to get some of my dance music published here in the UK for a few months.... I felt I got close a few times, like the time Arthur Baker rang me up after listening, but nothing ever happened! I ended up getting my hopes up tooooo many times and got discouraged.

Carrie

#139386 - 02/28/05 09:16 AM Re: A Little Time For Me
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Tony. I really enjoyed your rendition of "Love Hurts" and agree that the acoustic guitar UNPLUGGED style sounds simply outstanding. Regarding Gary's comment that your vocals 'could be more up front'. I don't know if you've re-mixed your vocals before my first listen today or not, but with the volume turned up to opitmal listening level, the vocal-instrumental balance sounds PERFECT to my ears. I also appreciate being able to easily understand EVERY word you sing as well. Great job ! -

PS: Tony, apologizes for the tardy response. I got home rather late last night from my birthday party, & Oscar night celebration as well.

Scott

#139387 - 02/28/05 09:45 AM Re: A Little Time For Me
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Tony:
Gave a listen to your song and guitar playing. a little feedback to maybe in someway help.This is not criticism.!
Its a great song, and your voice is just fine, I have the same problem projecting, mines from 60 years of smoking. I have set up mikes for others for years,(never can get mine right lol) but do a pretty good job for others, after listening I suggest a couple of things, I think the reason your not getting with it is because the mic is putting out sounds from your voice thats interferring and you hear it and hold back, this can be the mic or the settings, you have a good voice, and I hear a bit of not being accoustomed to hearing your own voice so holding back, but you need to hear that voice as being terrific to your ear, and get inspired by its good sound.

Maybe a tad less reverb. back the mid range back a bit , and a bit more bass, run the treble up and down to where you hear the words pronounced clearly but low enought not to pick up hissing on the s's get rid of crackling and breath noise. You might try a windscreen, try different mikes, also you might take the song down a semitone or two, also I would slow the bpm just a tad, at least until you get comfortable with pronounciating the words, you don't won't to stumble, this throws you off.(pronounciate, pronounciate)

Just trying to help. The song is very good and the music behind it is terrific, The voice is the lead, and thats what people want to hear. If the suggestions don't work its okay by me if you say to Hell with that joker's ideas. Just keep doing what your doing and eventually you'll get there. sounds good.

The acoustic is a better sound than yamaha demo of the tyros...........Pose

#139388 - 02/28/05 12:36 PM Re: A Little Time For Me
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"Now if I could only get the power in my voice that you have in yours I would be a happy man..... I know what you are going to say... PRACTICE PRACTICE and then PRACTICE some more "

Some proper eq, compression could help much. Doubling your vocals would work wonders as well. Also take care with the send/return levels on your reverb, not that all extra noise is out and out BAD just that some is. Plus be careful with anything reverb over "small room" as it can have stuff bouncing all over the place out of your control.

"I am fast coming to the conclusion that I really need to get some new monitors. On my mix the vocal really does sit on top of the music. I know I have always been wary of pushing my vocal too far forward (prefering my voice to be back in the mix) but I really did try to push it forward this time. That is the trouble I think unless you have vast mixing experience, you never quite know how your mix is going to sound on someone else's equipment."

Well, you have to work best with the gear you have. Ive gotten stuff broadcast mixed on 20$ need I say crap speakers :P

Have a "master" of your song with the vocals pushed out front a bit more ( on top of other things ) if you want it.

Only yeah the overall goal is to get it to sound good as it can across all sound systems, just check your mixs on a boombox, car stereo, home stereo and so on to get a better feel.

"As I said to Gary I did try to push my vocal forward in the mix. I have to say I am pleased at how well the guitar sounds. It is nice to hear that others notice it as well."

The guitars do come across well, its more with electric distorted guitars that keyboards start to show their ass.

"I am a member of the Guild of International songwriters and composers and their magazine lists loads of places to send to but I always bottle out at the last minute "

Not to be whatever...just my dealings with a local guild faction equal them being worthless. Hell in your case the fact they dint clue in a singer song writer to duel vocals, eq, compression, or at least some solid info on basic effects like reverb should speak worlds of their value.

Please note I mean no offense by that...just things you have stated you want to get across are simple to do hahaha and it gets me a bit hot if the guild failed to give you building block tools. Thats why your a member after all isnt it?

Anyhow...the "master" is 5MB, if you want direct me where to send. Im thinking you will like

#139389 - 02/28/05 04:58 PM Re: A Little Time For Me
Tony W Offline

Scott,
Thanks for the listen and please no apology necessary...... I only posted the song late last night (UK time) so your response was not at all tardy! As an aside I really hope you enjoyed your birthday celebrations. I thought you may have been able to blag your way in to Sir Elton's Oscar night Party! (I have just been watching it on TV and it was lavish to say the least. Scissor Sisters were playing there (my new fave band of the moment!).
With regard to 'A little time' No I did not change the mix before you got the chance to listen. That is what is so frustrating.... on some systems it sounds ok and on others it seem the vocal is lost! I am looking forward to recieving 'Alone's' remix / master to see how it sounds on my system.

Lounge,
Thanks for the advice, it is very much appreciated and you can rest assured I will not ignore it. I post my stuff hoping to get honest and constructive critiques like yours and have found it really is the only way to learn what my mistakes are. I do need to buy a new mic. My current condenser mic keeps losing volume and cutting out completely mid use.... very annoying and the only way to get it going again is to give it a whack on the side !! Not the best scenario. I have only had it about eighteen months so am a little dissapointed. Most likely it is because I smoke. Whilst I do not smoke in the same room as my board or the mic I am sure it is on my breath and all those little molecules invade my mic. (Well that is my theory anyway!)

Alone,
Thankyou also for the advice. Also many thanks for taking the trouble to tweak my song. I am looking forward to comparing it with the original on my system. You can send it to the-ant@lineone.net. I check my mail throughout the day and there is a large limit before my mailbox is full so it should not be a problem.

With regard to the Guild, to be fair they do have 'collaborator lists' and such like but it is I who have never really explored that option. What I do use the guild for is free copywrite. I can send my stuff on CD and they will register the copywrite for free. They also do a free song assessment service that I have used a few times and have had some positive responses from them. It is propbably my own fault for not fully utilising the services they do offer.
Thanks again for all the advice and I look forward to receiving the master you made.

Best wishes
Tony

#139390 - 02/28/05 05:01 PM Re: A Little Time For Me
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Sorry, late for the party...
Hey, Got the Tony signature on it... I really like the tune... I guess you like the Tyros? Like the love hurts to, again your own style which is very cool... Witer block? I just finished my CD and thought I'd take a break and before you know it I'm cranking out new ones for the next CD... Here's what I do when I'm blocked... I just start going through all the Styles and usually a bunch, then all of sudden something will strike me and I'll start to fiddle with it... Just a thought... Anyway, enjoyed your stuff as always... Keep at it, the songs have a way of find you...
DJ

#139391 - 02/28/05 05:16 PM Re: A Little Time For Me
Tony W Offline

Hi DJ,
Hope you are well my friend.
I tried to get round my 'block' by playing and recording a few covers .... something I don't normally do. ... Well of course I play them but I never usually record them. I thought that it better to actually do something constructive rather than sitting around wallowing and waiting for it to come back! I actually really enjoyed it and may even put a 'covers' section on my website. (I have a few stacked up here the block lasted so long ).

Anyway I am glad to have actually written something again, even if it was hard work. Hopefully it will spur me on to keep going and get some more stuff on paper.

I listen to stuff like Tori Amos and she makes it all seem so easy. (Not that I am comparing my stuff to hers at all. I WISH ) I adore the way she can just sit at a piano and create. Maybe artists like that have off periods too?
Best wishes
Tony

#139392 - 02/28/05 06:36 PM Re: A Little Time For Me
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hello Tony.

Nice job with superb guitar and as Gary said I would like vocals with a bit more presence.
Tks very much to share your music.
Regards from Brasil
Chico

#139393 - 02/28/05 07:27 PM Re: A Little Time For Me
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"Alone,
Thankyou also for the advice. Also many thanks for taking the trouble to tweak my song. I am looking forward to comparing it with the original on my system. You can send it to the-ant@lineone.net. I check my mail throughout the day and there is a large limit before my mailbox is full so it should not be a problem."

No problem, and sorry if I was offensive with any of the random tips...sometimes I can be abrasive even when I mean to help.

Ill get the "master" version sent to you in just a few mins. If you like some of what was done...or have an idea for something you would like to be done with it should be able to help with that as well.

"With regard to the Guild, to be fair they do have 'collaborator lists' and such like but it is I who have never really explored that option. What I do use the guild for is free copywrite. I can send my stuff on CD and they will register the copywrite for free. They also do a free song assessment service that I have used a few times and have had some positive responses from them. It is propbably my own fault for not fully utilising the services they do offer.
Thanks again for all the advice and I look forward to receiving the master you made."

Free copywrite is nice...just most of the stuff one could take advantage of with them, I just do without them cause thats just me.

"Master" is sent...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online