The killer in the deal for me is that some of the Apps / Vsti's that I have are no longer supported. I realize that the major ones I have like The Arturia / Native Instruments will be updated as needed, but I'm quite fond of some of my more obscure, older, and in some cases discontinued apps as well, ( XG works and Live synth Pro for example ) and a fix for at least some of these is highly unlikely.

To that end, I was very fortunate recently. My dedicated music PC ( no internet ) recently took a dive. Something on the motherboard went wrong, but the Hard Drive and Power supply, along with my Audio cards, survived intact. My wife convinced me ( after some prodding ) to go to a large Yard sale a couple of weeks ago. Lo and behold there sat a Tower with a P4 and XP inside.

The seller stated that he was having a problem with the CD drive and sometimes with the serial mouse, but otherwise it seemed to work fine. He said I could have it for $25.00. I didn't even haggle. I took it home, found the problem with the mouse, corrected it, and replaced the CD drive ( it also has a DVD writer ), stuck my soundcards in it, my old harddrive ( now as a backup and extra drive ) and my 2 GB of ram, which was as luck would have it exactly the same as what was in the tower, and Voila.. I'm back up and running, with a newer and faster processor than was in my old machine to boot.

Regards

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 09-20-2007).]