SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#138713 - 09/19/07 04:23 PM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I see an awful lot of the cart getting in front of the horse when people want to use new computers for music.

The best way, IMO, is to get the software and hardware you want, THEN get a computer that runs it. Having the latest, greatest computer is of small consolation if the software (including ALL the plug-ins, VSTi's, utilities, etc.) and the hardware (including sound-cards, accelerator cards like UAD-1, and video cards) have to stay in the box until the dust has settled on all the driver issues, compatibility issues, 64-bit issues, etc., etc..

JMO, yada yada yada...

#138714 - 09/19/07 04:34 PM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Well you know diki, that is exactly what I am doing. First verify all the software and pc hardware and then built the PC.
I just decided to install a creative card untill the pro cards have drivers.
I don't want to wait.

Sonar 7 is ready
Reason is ready
Several sonar plug ins are ready
The new creative cards are ready

I add a roland PCR800 controller

I don't think I need much more

Fred

#138715 - 09/19/07 04:35 PM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
The best way, IMO, is to get the software and hardware you want, THEN get a computer that runs it.

Yep, most of the software I need for my music will only run on XP, not Vista (yet) so I have no choice to with anything else but Windows XP, at least for now.

Ok, thanks to everyone for all the insightful input shared. I've since learned that Windows Vista isn't compatible (yet?) with a number of the programs above which I run regularly so I've decided to stick with XP Pro.

In the meantime, here is what Michael Bedesem, Yamaha keyboard utility software developer programmer advised me regarding running Vista: "As far as I know, the problem of not being able to change the default midi device remains. This effects programs like mine that use the Microsoft multimedia player that they were pushing so hard just a few years ago. I have not heard if MS intends to correct this in a next service release. I have deferred my own planned purchase to see if Vista is improved."

Ok folks: In the meantime, the thing that pushed me into a panic of thinking I need a a new PC appears to have been solved. I was experiencing a problem where out of no where, I would hear a mechanical 'single click' sound inside my PC tower followed my LCD display screen freezing, and the PC processing activity light turning on solid red, of which required me to reboot the PC. After opening up the PC to check for possible dust build up, I immediately noticed that the power cord going into the HD was hanging by a thread, so suspect the problem merely a flaky power connection to the HD. After solid reconnection, I've now run the PC now for a couple of hours with no problem, so 'knock on wood', hope the problem's been solved. I'll keep you posted.

Scott

#138716 - 09/19/07 04:48 PM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
freddynl Offline

Scott,

Make a backup of your data and test your HD!

Clicks are in 99% HD related.

Fred

#138717 - 09/19/07 05:24 PM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by freddynl:
Scott,Make a backup of your data and test your HD!Clicks are in 99% HD related.

Fred: After backing up the HD, what testing procedure do you recommend I perform? I assume it to be a diagnostic test, right? What utility software do I need to check the hard drive?

That said, the click I experienced was merely 'ONE SINGLE' click, similar to the mechanical sound of a switch turning off. Though I'm not sure, I had figured this the result of power connection to the HD ending abruptly. Anyway, please provide more detailed HD backup & diagnostic testing procedures & software recommended. Many thanks.

Scott

#138718 - 09/20/07 12:38 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Fred
Up till about 6 – 12 months ago AMD CPUs kicked Intel’s Backside (Butt) both in speed and the amount of heat (Lack) produced, however since the release of the Intel Core 2 Duo etc, the situation has reversed (You will find virtually all top end games machines, and those that require fast processing, now have Intel CPUs) with AMD now looking like a Model T, (OK, perhaps a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea) the Intel Core 2 Duo also consumes less power, and consequently produces less heat.
Hope this helps

Bill

#138719 - 09/20/07 02:39 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Fred: After backing up the HD, what testing procedure do you recommend I perform? I assume it to be a diagnostic test, right? What utility software do I need to check the hard drive?

That said, the click I experienced was merely 'ONE SINGLE' click, similar to the mechanical sound of a switch turning off. Though I'm not sure, I had figured this the result of power connection to the HD ending abruptly. Anyway, please provide more detailed HD backup & diagnostic testing procedures & software recommended. Many thanks.

Scott

Scott you may want to purchase and run Steve Gibsons "Spinrite"

SpinRite

#138720 - 09/20/07 02:51 AM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
jwyvern Offline

Quote:

Scott

Hi Scott - you could have just described a "lazy" click that I occasionally hear coming from my PC case. It can happen once or twice per session and depends upon me accessing a particular software or the Internet or whatever, but I've never been concerned enough to narrow it down. I only started noticing it a year or so ago although that's not to say it wasn't there before. I just assume it's the noise of the HD needing to be accessed over a greater physical distance than normal every so often.

John

#138721 - 09/20/07 12:27 PM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
freddynl Offline

Quote:
Fred: After backing up the HD, what testing procedure do you recommend I perform?
Scott

Hello Scott,

I use Sandra since 1998!
You will be amazed what you can do with it
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/

Fred

#138722 - 09/20/07 01:06 PM Re: Recommended to purchase a PC with Windows Vista yet?
freddynl Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Fred
Up till about 6 – 12 months ago AMD CPUs kicked Intel’s Backside (Butt) both in speed and the amount of heat (Lack) produced, however since the release of the Intel Core 2 Duo etc, the situation has reversed (You will find virtually all top end games machines, and those that require fast processing, now have Intel CPUs) with AMD now looking like a Model T, (OK, perhaps a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea) the Intel Core 2 Duo also consumes less power, and consequently produces less heat.
Hope this helps

Bill

Thanks for the tip Bill,
Definately will have another look at that.

There are numerous other issues I have to find out if I go the Vista route.
Due to the changed audio engine (called RT/UAE) which is kernel/ hardware related audio manafacters need to redesign their hardware as well as there's no real good work around with drivers to get the optimum result. Not even the 32 bits drivers are Vista ready for a lot of the older cards.
(That includes my delta 1010)

On the other hand Vista is in fact a major upgrade which if all components comply will show a much more stable system as ever before and very very much faster! And how about a max of 128Gb ram instead of the max of 4Gb.
All samples in Ram!

About Mac's:
I do not want to cause a Mac/Pc war, but a well built PC with todays Processors smokes any Mac, but I do agree with the Mac users that if you want a ready to go DAW and don't want to built your own PC, your best bet is a Mac.

Stock PC's like Dell/HP etc... are fine for internet and other comsumer applications, but will give you a headache when you start pushing them to the limit with heavy audio and video programs.

Hope to have all info ready next week and order all the components and software upgrade's. (will be Vista Ultimate though)

Fred

[This message has been edited by freddynl (edited 09-20-2007).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online