SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#138420 - 02/19/02 07:19 PM PSR-740 or PSR2000
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
If there were only two keyboards on the market which one would be the best choice. The PSR-740 with no problems or a newer PSR-2000 with problems? This may sound dumb,but when you read about all the problems with the 2000 and the low cost of a 740 one has to ask.
Even though I had a 2000 and returned it I don`t realy know if it was defective, buggy,or just plain broke!!!
Thank you all this is a GREAT place!

#138421 - 02/19/02 07:43 PM Re: PSR-740 or PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

There have been other threads on this topic. The PSR2000 is way better. I owned both. The PSR2000 has a lot of functions that aren't explained well in the manual, so it might appear that the keyboard is buggy. Actually, the keyboard has very few bugs, and none that affect my performing.
Besides the PSR2000's internal styles, which are slightly better than the PSR740, I can store about 25 favorite styles in flash memory. Then I can access styles off of a floppy in about 2 seconds. On the PSR740 it takes about 12 seconds. As you know, when you are performing, time is critical.

In addition, the PSR2000 has some good additional voices. The Grand Piano sounds a little bit better too.

I guess that the most convincing thing for me is that my audiences at nursing and retirement homes have mentioned hearing a difference in the music and are extremely impressed.

The PSR740 is a great keyboard. Many on this forum made and perhaps still make a living with the PSR740. It also has some bugs too by the way - and limitations that bug the professional user.

The PSR2000 is worth the extra money - if you have it.

When I got my PSR2000 there were a couple of features that I thought were broken, but I actually didn't understand how these features worked.

Larry

#138422 - 02/19/02 08:06 PM Re: PSR-740 or PSR2000
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Thanks for your advise,"Beakybird" do you think the 2000 will get any revisions after July or stay in there line-up or be replaced? Maybe I was to quick to return it but it had so much going against it (hissing speakers, flickering LED`s ect.)
I just could not see keeping it, but maybe I`ll try another, any idea where? Can`t go to a store and buy one have to do over the web No place in my area sells anything higher than a PSR-550

#138423 - 02/19/02 11:09 PM Re: PSR-740 or PSR2000
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dan O'neal and George Kaye both sell them and both are very well respected members of our group. They have countless satisfied customers among us. Either will be there for you AFTER the sale.
DonM

#138424 - 02/20/02 02:37 AM Re: PSR-740 or PSR2000
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Got mine from Dan (I am on the east coast) and I am very pleased. He gives above and beyond attention to his customers.

-Linda

#138425 - 02/20/02 07:12 AM Re: PSR-740 or PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

Dear Jedi,

You obviously got a bum keyboard if you had flickering leds. The speaker hiss might have been the mic knob in back of the keyboard inadvertently turned up all the way.

Wherever you get one, you should get another one, and request that your keyboard has the latest eprom chip.

Larry

#138426 - 02/20/02 07:49 AM Re: PSR-740 or PSR2000
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Jedi,
When I read posts asking "where can I buy a keyboard", I try to respond directly through private emailing, but you have none showing and I would very much like to offer you the option of purchasing a keyboard from my store.
Since the 2000's introduction last October I have sold dozens of these keyboards and haven't had any complaints from customers regarding noise or flickering lights. In fact the only calls I get are asking my help learning how to use a certain function that perhaps the manual doesn't explain well or to tell me how much the customer loves their keyboard.
I am a very active member here and I have sold many keyboards to members of this discussion group. A few weeks ago when I read about the synthzone's desire to help Ryan get a keyboard, I called my friends at Yamaha and asked them if after reading these posts they wmight like to be involved in some way. They responded in a remarkable way by making a keyboard available to Ryan at no charge at all.
As a small dealer with 32 years experience in my store I can best serve my customers with my technical experience and with my relationships with the many manufactures I know. Product Managers as well as technical support people from Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Generalmusic and Solton all know me quite well. If my customers need answers or help with warranty or non-warranty issues I am always there for them.
My prices are always very competive with the market and beyond my price I am very active with technical support issues and can be reached by phone at my store or via the computer.
When I sell a PSR2000, included is the survival kit and the vocal survival kit. I have 2000's in stock and can be reached either by email or by phoning my store.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online