SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#138063 - 10/25/04 03:38 PM How to add/create new entries in PSR3K MFD?
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Hello all,
I just want to ask the experts in PSR-3000 on how to create or add entries in the Musical Finder Database. For example, i have setup registrations & i'd like to transfer it to MFD, how do you do that? Also, is there an easier way to find entries other than the 2 search functions? Most of my situations are dances & ballrooms, so downtime (10 seconds or more) is not acceptable. Registrations are also deficient for me coz you can only create 8 at a time & it so easy to mess it up (deletes, modifies or accidental push).
Thank you for any input.
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#138064 - 10/25/04 04:15 PM Re: How to add/create new entries in PSR3K MFD?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Jimmy,

It's not possible to automatically transfer Regsitration setting to the Music Finder database.

As a custom Music Finder Database user myself, I don't recommend attempting to create/edit more than just a few MFD song records (at a time) on the PSR3000 keyboard itself. It's far too labor intensive.

The two available search options in MFD allow you to search a number of criteria from genre, tempo, style, and alphabetical both ascending & descending. In addition, you can create & define your own custom keywords in the 'keyword' field & use these as searchable criteria. I've also outlined several things which will further expand the power of the Music Finder: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009118.html

I HIGHLY recommend that you download & install (on your Windows PC) the terrific 'Music Finder View' MFD database creator/editor utility software by Michael Bedesem: http://www.svpworld.com/util_mfdview.htm

"Music Finder View" makes creating your own custom PSR3000 MFD database (or editing an existing MFD file) both fun and easy.

I suggest copying the existing MFD base in your PSR3000 to the smart media card, and copying it to your PC HD. Then load into the "Music Finder View" program and edit & add records there. Once edited, bring the file back into the smart media card and load it into your PSR3000 MusicFinder. Don't worry about losing the original Music Finder database as it's in your keyboard ROM memory, if you should ever want to load it back in . . . I certainly don't.

On behalf of the Yamaha PSR keyboard community, many thanks to Mr Bedesem's for his continued support providing his excellent Yamaha keyboard utilities, and for FREE to boot: http://www.svpworld.com/psr_software.htm#stylemanager

I find Music Finder View extremely useful and don't know what I would do without it, as I rely on it on regular weekly basis.

Jimmy, just in case you missed this, here's yet another link to a thread which I cover on this topic: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009131.html

Good luck.

Scott

#138065 - 10/25/04 05:10 PM Re: How to add/create new entries in PSR3K MFD?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jimmy, while doing live performances, you can scroll through the MFD using the scrolling wheel, but keep in mind that if you use any other search function while performing, the keyboard will instantly select the MFD's selected song--not a good thing.

The best advice I have is to make several MFDs, directories that have 30 to 60 songs, songs that are suited for the particular venue you are going to be performing at that time. This eliminates scrolling through hundreds of songs and staring at a tiny screen when you should be maintaining eye contact with your audience.

As Scott stated, you can do all the editing and creating on Michael Bedesem's Music Finder View, which is very easy to use and has lots of new options. Save the information to a file name that refers to that particular gig, such as: ABC Nursing Home, or Smith Wedding, etc.

I also recommend utilizing every tool in the keyboard to minimize dead time. Anything longer than 2 seconds is too long IMO--even in a nite-club setting.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#138066 - 10/25/04 11:02 PM Re: How to add/create new entries in PSR3K MFD?
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Great replies as usual. I'll try your ideas. Thanks a lot Scott & Gary.
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online