SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#137973 - 05/28/05 02:06 PM What speaker placement and direction works best with z5500 sub?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Wondering if anyone has tested this out.

It seems to me Uncle Dave found that his sub for the Bose PAS worked best placed sideways.

I also understand if needed, placing a sub against a wall, especially in a corner of the room will boost the bass.

Wondering if anyone has experimented with the z5500 sub this way as far as placement and speaker direction.

Any ideas?

Best

Scott Langholff
http://www.ScottLMusic.com

#137974 - 05/28/05 03:22 PM Re: What speaker placement and direction works best with z5500 sub?
Dnj Offline

I use a sub for all my big gigs, almost every night & day......each room is different...
its up to your experience as a musician to determine what will sound best using your gear....there is no certain recipe, take sound checks,position speakers, make EQ adjustments all night long & most times during each song too to suit the room is the only way to get it right, and even then you might have to entertain on a wing & a prayer. Be ready for anything, be aware of what it sounds like out in the audience, and give em' 100% every time!!!

good luck

#137975 - 05/28/05 03:58 PM Re: What speaker placement and direction works best with z5500 sub?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ditto!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#137976 - 05/29/05 04:07 AM Re: What speaker placement and direction works best with z5500 sub?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Thanx for the reply Donny and Gary.

But what I really want to know is, what are you doing with YOUR sub? I'm curious if anyone has experimented with position and direction with their sub.

I know each place is different. etc, etc.

If I can get a little input from anyone who has experimented and see what they thought of the results it will just give me some ideas that I may or maynot try or like. But it will give me an idea whether moving it around is even worth attempting. I generally think there are enough details to take care of than to add some more things for me to try unless someone else tried something and experienced xyz. At least in this case as of right now.

Really my main question I'm interested in, is if facing it sideways for a z5500 sub has been tried and what was your experience.

I set my sub to the left of my keyboard with the speaker facing out. I think that spot is fine and that I probably have more omph then I'll ever need, but if I did need more omph in an extremely large place, I suppose the first thing I would try is to put it next to the wall, possibly the corner.

I have noticed that with the z5500 that it sounds rather loud and boomy next to me. More than I really like, however, if I play my demo that I recorded and use the remote control, go out into the audience area and adjust it just right that while it sounds great in the audience, it is boomy next to me. Anyone else have this same experience? Maybe the places I've used it just happens to be those kind of acoustics so far.

Best
Scott

#137977 - 05/29/05 06:08 AM Re: What speaker placement and direction works best with z5500 sub?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

This all depends on the room and the room's accoustics. Most of the time the sub is placed on the right side of the keyboard, facing forward and the volume is set to approximately 20 percent of maximum. In some rooms, however, I face the sub to the right, thereby allowing the sound to come from two directions--the side and rear, thereby softening the thump to some degree. The sound still fills the room, but you loose that in-your-face effect from the sub when it's positioned this way. There are some rooms where I place the sub at a 45 degree angle to the left, which provides a cone effect from both the front of the speaker and the side vent, which provides sound from the reciprocal movement of the speaker.

Every room is different and has it's own, unique, EQ challenges, and there is a significant difference in EQ settings between PA systems. There is no boiler-plate, rock-solid rules with sound systems. If there were, everyone would have the same system and use the same settings. I guess my best suggestion would be to set up your system ahead of each event, then put a midi file in the keyboard, one that was created on that particular keyboard and not tuned. Play the midi file while walking around the room and set your speaker positions and EQ's to where it sounds best to you. Then, save those keyboard settings to a registration file with an appropriate name, such as the venue's name. Then each time you return, you will have a ball-park idea of where to begin.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#137978 - 05/30/05 11:02 AM Re: What speaker placement and direction works best with z5500 sub?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Just to add a little more info, the sound of the subwoofer, is OMNIDIRECTIONAL, the placement does matter if you place to close from you, that will give you the sense that it has to much bass, otherwise, the lows travel in all directions, so, I will place the subwwofer far in off from me, so it will give me a more general perspective of the sound. I also use a subwoofer and 2 satelite speakers.
Sorry about my english, is my second lenguage.

------------------
mdorantes

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online