SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#137860 - 01/20/03 10:50 AM Steve Deming - What About The 9000 Pro?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I think we've got enough interest to try to ask Steve Deming of Yamaha to answer some questions about the 9000 Pro, so if you're listening Steve and can provide some insight:

1. The 9000 Pro was absent at NAMM and rumor is that it's history. Has it been discontinued?

2. Are there any new OS upgrades or any other kind of improvements planned for the 9000 Pro this year?

3. Does Yamaha plan to offer any OPT or other kind of software voice editors for the 9000 Pro panel voices or for the PLG-series of expansion cards (not including the ones that come with the cards for use with Works)? Is an OPT-based XG voice editor coming anytime soon?

4. Does Yamaha plan on making a successor to the 9000 Pro?

I realize these are tough questions so thanks in advance for your response.

#137861 - 01/20/03 04:48 PM Re: Steve Deming - What About The 9000 Pro?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I'm not Steve, but I can tell you that at the NAMM show Yamaha only shows new products because of space in the Portable Keyboard, Digital Keyboard and the Pro Audio sections. They don't display models that have been shown at previous shows.
I asked if the 9000 pro would be replaced by a Tyros Pro and the answer was "we don't know". Sales in Europe as well as other countries will have a major impact as to whether or not we see a 76 key version.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#137862 - 01/21/03 05:42 AM Re: Steve Deming - What About The 9000 Pro?
The Pro Offline

Thanks George - a Tyros Pro would be interesting but I'm more concerned with the current status of the 9000 Pro and what kind of support and/or upgrades or software accessories we can expect. If it's been discontinued then I wouldn't expect any new developments but if it hasn't then I would.

#137863 - 01/21/03 09:46 AM Re: Steve Deming - What About The 9000 Pro?
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:

1. The 9000 Pro was absent at NAMM and rumor is that it's history. Has it been discontinued?

2. Are there any new OS upgrades or any other kind of improvements planned for the 9000 Pro this year?

3. Does Yamaha plan to offer any OPT or other kind of software voice editors for the 9000 Pro panel voices or for the PLG-series of expansion cards (not including the ones that come with the cards for use with Works)? Is an OPT-based XG voice editor coming anytime soon?

4. Does Yamaha plan on making a successor to the 9000 Pro?

I'm afraid that I cannot provide much insight . The 9000PRO is abolutely NOT discontinued. I am not aware of any plans for these other things, but that doesn't mean they're never going to happen. The things that are on the drawing board in Japan are secret. So even if I knew I couldn't tell you. I work in Customer Support. We answer HOW TO questions, we help customers with broken products get them fixed and occaisionally, out of necessity, we chase bugs. I'll be happy to pass along your comments, but don't expect me to be answering questions about things that have not been announced.

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#137864 - 01/21/03 10:40 AM Re: Steve Deming - What About The 9000 Pro?
The Pro Offline

Thanks again, Steve. With all due respect, it was worth a shot to see if you could answer any questions about the 9000 Pro in the absence of all other sources.

Keeping it a secret as to whether or not Yamaha is going to provide the former "flagship arranger" 9000 Pro the kind of voice editing support that the less-expensive Tyros currently enjoys is certainly one way to keep everyone guessing.

#137865 - 01/21/03 11:13 AM Re: Steve Deming - What About The 9000 Pro?
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Hello Steve D. and all,

The last 2 keyboards I purchased were the PSR9000 and the 9000PRO, plus I've got the MFC10 foot controller and other Yamaha pedals. How much do you think I've paid to Yamaha for these top-of-the-line products? Without stopping to add it all up, it's somewhere between $7,500 and $8,000 (maybe more) - that's a lot of money.

Tiny Ketron recently upgraded the SD1's entire flash memory. Yamaha can't devote the resources to do the same? Let's be honest, Yamaha PROMISED continuing support, additional features, and a lot more when they first released the 9000PRO. I don't expect to be coddled but I do expect them to keep their word.

I can't buy a Tyro (it's too much of a step down from the 9000PRO).

Stevizard

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online