SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#137730 - 08/21/01 12:30 PM What did you do when you brought your new keyboard home?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I remember when I got a new keyboard home, I spent the whole night reading the manual and experimenting. It is great excitment. What about you?

#137731 - 08/21/01 02:13 PM Re: What did you do when you brought your new keyboard home?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I NEVER open the book...for weeks,and weeks if I can. I'd rather find out through trial & error. It's sticks with me longer that way.

#137732 - 08/21/01 02:47 PM Re: What did you do when you brought your new keyboard home?
Dnj Offline

Dave I agree,

I have to agree and give Uncle Dave credit for teaching me to just "GO FOR IT" with a new keyboard aliviating any fear. I have spent nights with UD till 2AM setting up a new keyboard for performance the next night and I thank him for that!I also made neumerous calls to my buddy in LA. Don Mason for help many times. Being a pro is just that, styles are styles, sounds are sounds on any unit. Pick out the basic ones you need to perform and go from there making changes on the fly and saving them to registrations in real time. Thats the only way you get the correct levels. Then when you get time at home set it up to your liking. I also very rarley use the manual.

good luck

Donny

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-21-2001).]

#137733 - 08/21/01 03:33 PM Re: What did you do when you brought your new keyboard home?
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Unwrap it as fast as you can, Plug it in/ fire it up and go for it. Only when I got stuck or needed a very specific function I opened the manual.
Eric

#137734 - 08/21/01 03:40 PM Re: What did you do when you brought your new keyboard home?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I always take the owner's manual to the bathroom and start reading. I might briefly check the keyboard out first, but I read the entire manual before seriously tackling a new board. I find it saves me time and trouble. Also I can answer the questions asked by the guys on the forum who don't read the manual.
DonM
P.S. This didn't apply to the X1 manual since it was written by the Ketron mailboy on his way to the shipping room to send the first shipment of X1s to the U.S.

#137735 - 08/21/01 03:47 PM Re: What did you do when you brought your new keyboard home?
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
I was very rude, and took it to bed the very
first night! Oh no, not the keyboard, the manual...
Always nice to read the cookbook
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#137736 - 08/21/01 04:11 PM Re: What did you do when you brought your new keyboard home?
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
I played the thing all night long,& then had to go to work at 8AM, didn't make it to bed
that night.
I also only read the manuel when all else fails
Denny

#137737 - 08/21/01 04:26 PM Re: What did you do when you brought your new keyboard home?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I find the quickest way to getting up to speed is to FIRST spend an hour or so reviewing the manual (to cover basic OS features unique to that keyboard brand) and then set up the keyboard itself and start playing/exploring, refering back to the manual only if the need arises.

I like to begin exploring the new keyboard's styles/sounds by selecting a style and associated sounds and letting it trigger my creative mood to start playing a song that I think fits that groove. I move from style to style, customizing, tweaking & saving setups to my taste, moving on to another style and repeating. With my Technics KN5000 arranger keyboard's easy to use (intuitive) OS, I was able to customize arranger style templates in a very short time and started taking the keyboard to work (gigging) within just a few short days.

I then later (over time) like to read the manual from "cover to cover". Only by throughly reading the manual, have I been able to discover some valuable 'hidden' features & tips which are not readily apparent when playing/exploring the keyboard alone. - Scott http://scottyee.com

#137738 - 08/21/01 05:18 PM Re: What did you do when you brought your new keyboard home?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Scott ,
How important is the dynamic arranger feature on your Kn series ? Dano

#137739 - 08/21/01 05:50 PM Re: What did you do when you brought your new keyboard home?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Dan: Good question. Can you please tell me exactly WHAT the Dynamic Arranger does and HOW it works? I don't believe the KN5000 includes this feature. Maybe that's why I don't miss having that feature (yet ). - Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online