SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#137628 - 08/25/06 01:43 AM Custom Grand Piano Voice for Tyros2
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you knew of any third party selling a really good custom Grand Piano voice for the Tyros2 in .TVN format?

I am looking for a killer Steinway Grand Piano Sample. Preferably 64MB to 128MB in size.

The Korg OASYS stock Grand Piano will be adequate. They also have a better 500MB Steinway Piano Sample that can be loaded on demand. Has someone attempted to convert this to a .TVN format?

Yamaha has their own Concert Grand sample installed in their Clavinova CVP-309GP. This sample is stunning. Could Yamaha make this available as an add-on Custom Voice for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Tapas

#137629 - 08/25/06 06:50 AM Re: Custom Grand Piano Voice for Tyros2
Dnj Offline

it seems more & more people are not happy with the T2 concert grand piano......what is it that makes people search for other piano sounds. I cvould see it playing just SOLo [piano....but in arranger style play the piano nuances are covered up buy the style mix. just wondering.

#137630 - 08/25/06 07:09 AM Re: Custom Grand Piano Voice for Tyros2
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
it seems more & more people are not happy with the T2 concert grand piano......what is it that makes people search for other piano sounds. I cvould see it playing just SOLo [piano....but in arranger style play the piano nuances are covered up buy the style mix. just wondering.

I must say Donny, that I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I've since returned to my 3k after several weeks with the Tyros2 that I had on my Yamaha sample account.(couldn't justify the price difference for things I'd never use).

The Live Grand in the PSR-3000 is perfect for my needs and it fits perfectly into the styles.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#137631 - 08/25/06 07:33 AM Re: Custom Grand Piano Voice for Tyros2
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I must say Donny, that I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I've since returned to my 3k after several weeks with the Tyros2 that I had on my Yamaha sample account.(couldn't justify the price difference for things I'd never use).

The Live Grand in the PSR-3000 is perfect for my needs and it fits perfectly into the styles.Ian

Ian....things that make ya go Hmmmmmmmm?
I feel exactly the same way ....the 3k is a hard act to follow when you really think about it with an open mind I'm glad I owned & played both.....I'm more glad I woke up & returned to the 3k.
Gary D aka "Mr Wizard"
gave me a little 3k spanking & I now see the light!!!

Thanx for the reply.

#137632 - 08/25/06 07:38 AM Re: Custom Grand Piano Voice for Tyros2
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Tapas.
I'm surprised myself that Yamaha have not released any CD's with WAV samples by now, considering the T2 has been out a year this November. There would be a definite market for it but it looks like Irishacts may come up with some sort of offering for us all
It's not that hard creating your own samples, although it could be time consuming if you are going to use multi samples for each note.
There is a 3rd party doing a Steinway sample who I know fairly well, but I'm not sure if he will make this 300+mb sound available for sale to the public as I think he is mainly doing it for himself at the moment as a project.
As for anyone not liking the internal T2 piano, instead of moaning or stating they are not happy with it, it's far easier to get off your backside, use the editing software and make your own piano up.

#137633 - 08/25/06 01:59 PM Re: Custom Grand Piano Voice for Tyros2
Dnj Offline

Can someone tell me what the differences if any are between the Concert Grand on the T2 vs a Steinway piano sample? Btw what is the T2 Concert Grand modeled after anyway?

#137634 - 08/25/06 08:09 PM Re: Custom Grand Piano Voice for Tyros2
Tapas Offline

Hi Dnj,

More than likely the Yamaha Tyros2 has a watered down version of the Yamaha C7 Concert Grand sample. Yamaha Concert Pianos have their characteristic bright and vibrant tones that cut through a mix and sound brilliant in a concert hall setting.

The Steinway Model D sounds a shade darker and polite with a silky high end. It has a more smoother character.

Both the Yamaha and Steinway carry their distinct trademark voices. You will never mix up the two.

Check out some MP3 demos of third party samples that are readily available for the Yamaha Motif series.
http://www.motifator.com/mart/mainframeVoice.htm

You can readily hear the difference between the Yamaha C7 and the Steinway Model D.
Check out some of the custom Organ, Bagpipe, Guitar, Synth and Orchestral voices.

We need something similar for the Tyros2.

Tapas

#137635 - 08/26/06 03:16 AM Re: Custom Grand Piano Voice for Tyros2
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
Tapas, after listening to almost all of the demos on that link I couldn't agree more with you. Superb piano's on there and the guitars (Fender through the amp) brilliant.
It's about time someone gave Yamaha a kick up the butt to produce some stuff for all the T2 owners.

#137636 - 08/26/06 06:49 AM Re: Custom Grand Piano Voice for Tyros2
Tapas Offline

Hi T42,

I agree. I thought the AXXE Guitar Voice Bank with their Marshal, Fender and Vox Amp Emulations was brilliant. At $34.95 for their 128 custom Guitar Voices, their price is very reasonable.

I have a couple of Yamaha Motif Racks. If I do not find quality third party samples in native Tyros2 .TNV format, I may just order some from here and layer them via MIDI through my Motif Rack.

The Tyros2 is a highly versatile instrument. Can you imagine how many external samples you can load in by utilizing its full potential of a 60GB Hard Drive and 1GB of RAM? Its like having a new instrument with new voices at your command. You can further edit these voices assigning Pitch Bend to Velocity and Vibrato/Expression to AfterTouch, etc using the PC Voice Editor making playing even more easier. This frees up your left hand from flicking the Mod Wheels, so that you can concentrate on the Chords.

Tapas

#137637 - 08/26/06 09:25 AM Re: Custom Grand Piano Voice for Tyros2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I was under the impression that the Motif racks have no sample memory capability?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online