SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#136862 - 12/29/06 11:03 AM New PA
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'm thinking of selling off my Mackie 808s powered mixer and two 300i 2-way speakers in favor of something equally compact and lighter.

I'm looking hard at the Peavey PR series speakers, but I'm torn between the 12's or the 15's.

As for the mixer - what about a Behringer PMH815M http://www.behringer.com/PMH518M/index.cfm?lang=ENG
or one of the Soundcraft Gigrac series?

Any ideas? I sometimes play solo and then sometimes do a trio with guitar and sax in addition to my keyboards and kick bass.

#136863 - 12/29/06 01:27 PM Re: New PA
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#136864 - 12/29/06 01:56 PM Re: New PA
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used the Peavey PR 15s a couple of years ago. I was very pleased with the sound of them, and particularly the weight.
I decided to go with powered speakers or I would still have them.
The powered Barbettas are hard to beat for quality, volume and weight.
The Bose L1 is the King in my book though.
DonM

#136865 - 12/29/06 02:50 PM Re: New PA
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
On the subject of lightening the load, has anyone any experience of these Yorkville YX10 speakers?
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=58&id=348

#136866 - 12/29/06 03:39 PM Re: New PA
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Cassp

It seems you have a Yamaha keyboard? If so, I'm thinking you won't like the sound in mono which is what that Behringer is. I had looked at the PMH880S in stereo by them, only 19 pounds.

But, if you are considering the Peavey PR, why not get the new powered version. I know the 12's are only 35 pounds. That's only 5 pounds more than the old non-powered version. I imagine there is still some old stock floating around out there where they are heavier. I would definitely make sure it's one of the knew ones. Neo something or other.

That way even if something didn't work right, you'd always have at least one speaker to finish a job, whereas if using a powered mixer and it doesn't work right, you have zero speakers for the night.

Then you could pick up a Behringer UB802 non-powered mixer in stereo. Small, light, inexpensive, $42.00. If you want effects like reverb, Behringer has that and I understand the Alesis is another good choice.

For me, if I ever chose the PR sereies I would go the 12', mostly because even though the 15's are rather lightweight, the are as big as a refrigerator

I think also that the new Behringer lightweight speakers may be a good choice if you are leaning in this direction.

Best
Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

#136867 - 12/29/06 03:49 PM Re: New PA
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/014738.html

Hi Fran

I bet that new Tryanor sounds great. I can see by what you say wiight must not be an issue for you with it being 50 pounds and your Rolands being 70 oounds.

For me, as far as weight, I'm kind of been there done that. So, even if something had the best sound in the world, if it weighed that much, I'd just walk right past it and not even check the sound, price.

I actually got a naval hernia that required surgery. In thinking back, I probably got it trying to carry my Peavey keyboard amp, the old big heavey one. It also was affecting my joints. Also, no way would I want to carry something that heavey even just for my hand's sake and then try to play keyboard.

My 2 pfennigs worth.

#136868 - 12/29/06 04:09 PM Re: New PA
cwalkeralso Offline

Loc: State of Washington, US
If you're not set on a powered mixer, and are willing to spend a bit more, you might want to consider the following combination:
http://www.behringer.com/RX1202FX/index.cfm?lang=ENG http://www.behringer.com/EP1500/index.cfm?lang=ENG

This is what I've mated to my Tyros2 for gigs. I'm very satisfied with the system's flexibility, power and performance. Ultra low noise -- signalwise, that is. The amp has a cooling fan that is a bit noisier than necessary, but is easily and inexpensively replaced with a quieter pc cooling fan. Excellent frequency response. Fantastic flexibility in both the mixer and the amp. (Use Google to find reviews on the amp.)

For even more power, consider the EP2500.

If weight is a concern, though, be aware that the mixer's weight is 6 lbs and the amp's is 34 lbs. Mounted in my Grundorf carpeted rack case along with a Furman RackRider power distributer, the whole package weighs in at just over 50 lbs. Since I don't do a lot of gigs, and make good use of a handcart when I do, the weight isn't a big concern for me. I can certainly see, though, why the pros look for lighter equipment.

Charles

[This message has been edited by cwalkeralso (edited 12-29-2006).]

#136869 - 12/29/06 04:12 PM Re: New PA
Dnj Offline

#136870 - 12/30/06 03:31 AM Re: New PA
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I'm thinking of selling off my Mackie 808s powered mixer and two 300i 2-way speakers in favor of something equally compact and lighter.

Just curious. I too, have a mackie 808s which I use with two older Cerwin Vegas 12" on stands. I'm not a super-fan of the 808s but thought the sound was "acceptable". What don't you like about this powered mixer? My problem with it is that you can't use the monitor outs if you want to use the mains in stereo (but then I guess that would require the unit to have two stereo amps).

chas

#136871 - 12/30/06 03:32 AM Re: New PA
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Sorry, I missed the part about looking for something lighter in weight.

chas

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online