SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#136629 - 11/14/05 05:27 AM Re: Need Advice From the Pro's..... Back Pain!!!
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Hey Randy,

I used to suffer pain in the back in exactly the same spot as you described and my Doctor told me it was positional arthritis. The cause at that time was playing stacked instruments 6 days a week four hours a night where a lot of the time my arm was extended straight out in front. )This is a common ailment also for painters and decorators)

I then started to use a single master controller for any/all keyboards and made sure my posture was absolutely spot on. This I did by getting a higher stool. I also had to modify my double braced quiklok stand by drilling an extra hole in the circular lock plate in order to set the stand at the ideal position.

Dont suffer - try all of the above - you'll know when you've got it right.

Regards - Keith

#136630 - 11/14/05 07:09 AM Re: Need Advice From the Pro's..... Back Pain!!!
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Now you got my attention. I played a wedding once in Niceville. I went to Florida State in the early to mid 70's and played 6 nights a week at the Viking Lounge on the rooftop of the round Holiday Inn in Tallahassee. One of the waitresses was from Niceville and she married a friend of mine from my hometown, Key West. His name was John Ulcher. I don't remember her maiden name.

Back to the topic. I agree with Gary. For long gigs I use a chair with a back. For 1 hour retirement community shows I just use a stool. Haven't had back pain in years.

Good luck,

Joe

#136631 - 11/14/05 09:31 AM Re: Need Advice From the Pro's..... Back Pain!!!
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Had the same problem, found height needed to be higher, and move closer to the keyboard, absulutly necessary, just hold your arms out straight for a while and you'll see the back muscles up high are tight to augment balance. guessing a little back rest "like Gary's" also a plus.
I use a ultra bench with a 3" thick top, and its adjustable and folds up flat for moving.(I did reposition the mounts on the bottom to make it go even higher thought).
It lets me shift positions a bit, and I can sit for hours and it never bottoms out, Its very comfortable.
Also you should take a break each hour and move around, If you don't your also going to have circulation problems on the backside of you knees eventually. Everyone who works from a chair etc should very definately take hourly breaks......Pose

#136632 - 11/14/05 10:18 AM Re: Need Advice From the Pro's..... Back Pain!!!
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quil Lok D-749 now on sale at Sam Ash for
$99.95 lists for $149.95 at Quiklok and
$169.95 at 123 Music..... http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=34243 go for it....
Tony Rome

#136633 - 11/14/05 04:04 PM Re: Need Advice From the Pro's..... Back Pain!!!
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Wow Guys! Thanks for all the great information! I REALLY appreciate your advice and insight on my back problem. I will put all your advice to good use - I already raised the stand and replaced my bench with a regular chair. And thanks also for the tip on the Quik-Lok chair..I will have one of them soon!

Joe - Glad to see you have fond memories of Niceville... I first came here in 75 when I was playing in the Air Force Band - yep - the "Boggy Bayou Mullet Festival" is bigger and better now than it was then! I ended up retiring here (in 1996) after 22 years - Eglin AFB was my last military assignment. If you haven't been here in a while...the town has changed...not so "sleepy" anymore. Destin has expanded nearly all the way to Panama City and continues to "condo-ize". The fishing is still pretty good here despite the ongoing population increase. The other "good news" is that there are still some playing opportunities around Destin w/the tourist trade.

Thanks again so much to all of you!

Randy

[This message has been edited by saxxman (edited 11-14-2005).]

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#136634 - 11/14/05 04:49 PM Re: Need Advice From the Pro's..... Back Pain!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Have a PRO evaluate your posture, setup.

And, start a relationship with a chiropractor for routine maintenance.

I play drums and keyboards and ergonomics are essential. I've been evaluated by both a drum teach and keyboard teacher. I've also deconstructed both my drum setup and keyboard setup and reconstructed them for perfect posture.

You could be doing long term damage to your joints.

Best of Luck
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online