SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#136389 - 02/09/02 02:19 AM Building Home Studio with a PSR2K
Earl Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Hi Everybody,

Proud owner of a PSR 2000 (even if updates are not so easy than we hoped so ;(), I'm planning to build a "little" computer-based home studio.

I browsed many forums on Synthzone and other sites and I've decided to buy a new PC (P III 1 or 1.2GHz, 512Mb RAM, HD EIDE 40Go (to start, SCSI later if required)).

I already have a mtu4 MIDI interface.

But what would be your recommandation for the audio card ? Should it be soundfonts compatible (I use Cubasis and I'm going to buy Cubase 5) ?
I'm not very confortable with "SoundFonts" issues and don't already know if it's usefull.

I found three interesting cards:
- SB Audigy Platinum,
- Audiophile 2496,
- Delta 66.

Should I buy a SB AND Audiophile or Delta ? Or is Audiophile or Delta enough ?

Any recommandations for speakers and mics ?
Did I forget a key component ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

BR,
Earl.

PS: W2K compatibility is important for me.
PS2: The price is not really an issue but I'm not at all a professional (!) and don't need a top-level-equipment.

[This message has been edited by Earl (edited 02-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Earl (edited 02-09-2002).]

#136390 - 02/09/02 06:00 AM Re: Building Home Studio with a PSR2K
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Earl:
Any recommandations for speakers and mics ?
QUOTE]

Budget or not - ANY studio should have at least (1) AKG C1000s. They run between $99 and $150 depending on sales. They have great looks & performance.
Stay away from the $500 and up range, if you are just starting out - you won't get any benifit, and they are more sensitive and finicky. Marshal Electronics makes a great Large diaphragm mic called the MPX2001. (Same price range) At the beginning level, these two mics (or either one) will be a great start for you, and UNDER $300, for both !

Try mixing down through "normal" home stereo equipment (WITHOUT subwoofers) - that way, your mix will sound good on most people's systems, or in car stereos.

A nice pair of headphones is a valuable tool, so you can record WITHOUT the speakers on for certian trax, or play late at night when you can't sleep ! AKG K240M's($90) or Sony MDR7506($100)are terrific. The AKG has a larger cup that may be more comfortable to wear, while the Sony has a much higher output level that may provide the volume you like. Either way - you won't be dissapointed with the sound quality !
I don't advise mixing down into headphones, though - it's a false sense of "space" and will NOT sound the same through conventional speakers.

My friend, you are about to embark on a journey similar to that of an experienced boater. This studio can become a MAJOR obsession, and endless moneypit if you are not careful! Try to master the use of your BASIC setup before you get teary-eyed over every new, updated piece of gear that comes out. It's hard to resist the new toys, but you can do MAGNIFICENT things with a simple, logical approach and some modest gear.

Remember - "Sgt. Peppers" was recorded on a 4-track machine that can be bought in a pawn shop today, for about $100 or less ! The "science" of recording is a different mindset than performing. Many musicians are NOT good engineers, or arrangers. Learn the craft, and enjoy the ride. It's a whole new way to express your creative side.

Best advice?
USE YOUR EARS FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!
(don't play with knobs or sliders just because you LIKE to. )
If it SOUNDS good, than it IS good! Forget about what meters and and windows tell you. Use your ears - they are the engineers most IMPORTANT tool!!!

HAVE fun !

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 02-09-2002).]

#136391 - 02/17/02 05:59 AM Re: Building Home Studio with a PSR2K
Earl Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Ok, thanks for your advices about headphones and mics.

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Best advice?
USE YOUR EARS FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!
(don't play with knobs or sliders just because you LIKE to. )
If it SOUNDS good, than it IS good! Forget about what meters and and windows tell you. Use your ears - they are the engineers most IMPORTANT tool!!!

Okay !

BR,
Earl.

#136392 - 02/17/02 06:16 AM Re: Building Home Studio with a PSR2K
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Earl,
I would go with the Audiophile (m Audio) 24/96 or the Quattro ( usb,4 ins + outs , midi) from MAudio . The 24/96 has rca ins and outs . The Quattro has 1/4 inch ins and outs . FYI ........the cards work !
dano

#136393 - 02/17/02 06:17 AM Re: Building Home Studio with a PSR2K
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
hey earl,

For the computer. did you check the Athlon XP2000?.I think it will respond faster than a Regular P3.Unless you are planing to get a "PIII Zeon" .

for the sound card.I Own a delta 66 and now a Audigy Platnum.I'm using them together.the Audigy is really somthing comparing to the Old "SB LIVE 5.1" that I used to have.I'm using the Audigy for outputs to my (Non Professonal) speakers(take Uncle dave's advice about the speakers) and the Delta for Inputs for my three keyboards.

hope I did some help.

------------------
Vic:)

#136394 - 02/17/02 07:30 AM Re: Building Home Studio with a PSR2K
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
The Audiophile works very well for me and I think it's a good value at the price. It is noticably quieter and cleaner than my Soundblaster Live

Korg AJ

#136395 - 02/17/02 07:53 AM Re: Building Home Studio with a PSR2K
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
mic: try AKG C3000B it is good live and for the studio.

headphone: AKG K240M.... very comfortable.

speakers: buy quality ones. I use event PS6 and they do the job. THere are better ones of course.

soundcard: whatever you do, invest in quality one that supports 24bit recording. Avoid "SB" completely.

#136396 - 02/17/02 04:02 PM Re: Building Home Studio with a PSR2K
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Dave, I like your analogy of boats and studios. I am a recovering sailboat owner who understands all too well the definition of a boat as " a hole in the water into which you pour money". Never again-----(unless I win the lottery)
Bill E

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online