SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#136088 - 08/25/01 07:21 PM Roland EM-25 -- How Are The Styles?
MR Bulk Offline

Loc: Mililani, Hawaii, USA
I am wondering if anyone has info on the Roland EM-25. I am mainly a songwriter that makes his own demos so I am interested in the number and variations of styles available.

Does the "style morphing" allow a virtually infinite number of styles? I spend a lot of time writing and don't have much creative energy left over to program styles; I'd rather just buy'em preset.

My old Yamaha PSR510 and Roland KR-4500 keyboards have just about run out of styles to use, and my demos are starting to sound suspiciously the same from song to song. I recently got a PSR740 and like it a lot, but those Roland sounds, even the ones from my old KR-4500, still sound quality, although the styles themselves are pretty dated. This is why I am curious about the new EM-25 (our Hawaii Roland dealers never heard of'em!).

Any responses to this inquiry would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

#136089 - 08/25/01 11:22 PM Re: Roland EM-25 -- How Are The Styles?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Charlie,
I own a Roland VA7 and the morphing feature allows you to "paiste" in real time parts from different styles (you can choose from "drums", "bass" and "accomp." This feature takes one or two of these parts from a style AS A WHOLE and mixes them istantly with the other 1-2 parts from a different style. For more subtle (and MUCH more time consuming) editing you have to access the style editing area.
Given the number of excellent Roland styles available on the net, I would say that there is almost no need to program one's styles.
Regards from the other side of the world.
Andrea

#136090 - 08/26/01 04:36 AM Re: Roland EM-25 -- How Are The Styles?
MR Bulk Offline

Hello Andrea,

Thanks for responding to my question. I am glad to hear that Roland, like Yamaha, has great support on the net. You are right about not having enough time to program my own styles, although I did a few on my PSR510 in the past (but no disk drive, thus no saving!), and realize how time consuming it can be.

If the EM-25 advertises "style morphing", then would it not be the same procedure (although I am quite sure it would not be the same diversity and quality of sound as the VA-7) for changing styles?

Hello to your side of the world as well. I believe the UK is about 10 hours ahead of us. Thanks again.

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie

[This message has been edited by MR Bulk (edited 08-26-2001).]

Charlie

#136091 - 08/26/01 06:29 AM Re: Roland EM-25 -- How Are The Styles?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Charlie,
actually I live in Italy, which is one hour ahead of UK and 9 hours ahead of Pacific Time (don't know how many hours Hawaii are behind PT, maybe 3?), so I guess (and hope for you) that right now, while I am in the midst of a Sunday afternoon, you are still sound asleep. To reach your beautiful island (Oahu) by plane would take me more than 24 hours of flight, not to mention the extra time to reach the airport, check in, commute plane in LA, etc (gives me the headache just to think of it!).
Like Donny Pesce often says, we live in a wonderful era, which allows us to share things in real time even from such distant points of the world.
Re. the morphing feature of the EM25 my guess is that it's the same as in the VA7; it's really a cool feature and that's about all the style editing I usually do.
Best wishes and a "Ciao" from Italy.
Andrea

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 08-27-2001).]

#136092 - 08/27/01 12:51 AM Re: Roland EM-25 -- How Are The Styles?
MR Bulk Offline

Thanks again for the information Andrea, I appreciate it.

As to the time difference, I do know that England is 10 hours ahead of us, as I used to deal with people there when I was deep into another hobby (match airguns) and had to telephone them and did not want to wake them from a restful sleep!

Ciao and Aloha,

Charlie

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie

Charlie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online