Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#135686 - 08/24/07 04:59 AM Korg pa800 vs. Ketron SD5
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Any opinions??

#135687 - 08/24/07 06:15 AM Re: Korg pa800 vs. Ketron SD5
Dnj Offline

The demos should say it all...out of the 2..I would go with the Ketron SD5.........then go try both for further affirmation.
http://www.bck.co.uk/htm/SD5.htm

http://www.cherubini.com/en/product.asp?Id=3663

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-24-2007).]

#135688 - 08/24/07 07:04 AM Re: Korg pa800 vs. Ketron SD5
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
bear in mind I only spent 10-15 minutes on each, but i did try them side-by-side. my impressions for whatever they are worth: the Korg has more and better sounds, easier portability (8 lbs lighter), vocal harmonizer. the Ketron has better key feel and build quality, and better rhythms. (i don't say styles, i only listened to bass/drums- that's what i use 95% of time.) the sd5 also has the riff feature which is limited but it is better than having just variation 4.. each has a lot of distinctive features i either had no time to check out or no interest in..you'd have to research those. like i said, imho for whatever it's worth...

------------------
Miami Mo

#135689 - 08/24/07 06:52 PM Re: Korg pa800 vs. Ketron SD5
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I have both on display, ask away

#135690 - 08/25/07 07:37 AM Re: Korg pa800 vs. Ketron SD5
Dnj Offline

Mo I cant agree with you & of course this kind of discussion is always subjective to a personal degree....I really wanted to Love the Pa800 big time.....on paper it really seems to "HAVE IT ALL" in an arranger package, super features...BUT side by side cannot hold a candle Sound wise to a Ketron Sd1+ to my ear....listen to the Trumpet, Brass, Saxes, Guitars a/bing the two......this made me happy to own a Ketron SD1+ & I can only assume the Sd5 is close to it .......
Pa800 fills left alot to be desired just like the Pa80....The Korg internal speakers were a nice surprise and sounded robust and full.....touch screen display navigation seems a bit busy and confusing but after watching the demo video I now see there is a "SIMPLE" display mode I wasn't aware of, that's good.....I was also told that the new OS does wonders for the Pa800 to date & honestly I didn't realize what version I was playing in the store...But, I will HAVE TO go try it again because Im still willing to give it another shot, as an old KORG guy form years agao I wanted so much to love the PA800..........Ketron, Roland, & Korgs vocalizer are definitly better sounding then any Yamaha arranger Ive owned its just something Yamaha will not update thru the years. Sooooooooo.....lets recap....I love the Sd1+ although NOT perfect it serves my needs for now and Im gigging with a smile every night with it........PA800....after a brief demo last week is NOT written off yet & will have a go at it in the near future with a current OS......until then !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online