SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#135607 - 04/02/07 02:28 PM Re: How many multi-instrument players here?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I majored on trombone, but piano was my first love (and remains it). I play accordion, guitar and bass, and big valved brass (tuba, euphonium, baritone, etc.).

You may have an idea of why I started this thread - but I am pleased to see so many post here, and show that arranger isn't our one and only instrument. It just goes to show what a talented bunch hang out here and post.

I guess my main point is, doesn't it burn your butt that ONE simple addition to your arranger's features would allow you to play your 'other' instruments WITH your arranger? Many of you confess that perhaps the arranger is not even your 'main' instrument (or at least, favorite). But, short of one handed instruments like trumpet, you are ALL completely prevented from playing with your arranger. UNLESS.... you use SMFs, and completely lose the advantages that 'free' playing and spontaneity (which is why you are playing arrangers in the first place rather than workstations) give you.

Of course, I'm talking about the Chord Sequencer (again!)... And just trying to point out one MORE good reason why it is SO essential to an arranger's features. Forget bending notes (maybe some of you don't do it that much), forget playing two-fistedly (maybe you aren't that much into piano), but here is a list of some of our most devoted arranger users (and I am confident it is nowhere near all the 'doublers' on SZ) who, for lack of making enough noise to the manufacturers, are forced to give up playing their 'other' instruments, or give up using arrangers (at least arranger 'mode').

So have a re-think about whether you consider the Chord Sequencer (and I'm talking the interactive, Roland implementation, NOT pre-entered chords) such a useless feature. Wouldn't SOME of you like to get back to playing your 'other' instruments in your shows, wow the audience just a little bit MORE, and increase your value as entertainers to the venues you play?

All without using SMFs.... I know I sure would.

Any thoughts?

#135608 - 04/02/07 02:51 PM Re: How many multi-instrument players here?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Piano-Keyboard-Synths-Tenorsax-Clarinet-Guitar(any style)- bass - banjo - mandolin- L'oud - Women

#135609 - 04/02/07 03:06 PM Re: How many multi-instrument players here?
Diki Offline

I love playing loud women, too!

#135610 - 04/02/07 03:14 PM Re: How many multi-instrument players here?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Piano, bass, guitar, drums, vocals, clarinet, sax, flute.
I can get sounds out of all the brass instruments too, and I know the fingerings, but I'd never profess to be a brass player.
I majored in woodwinds at Temple, but let them take a back seat to my rhythm instruments for over 20 years ... now, since I started teaching the kids - I've ressurected all my horns, and the chops are coming back ! (slowly).

#135611 - 04/02/07 03:20 PM Re: How many multi-instrument players here?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I love playing loud women, too!

By the way a L'oud is an arabic lute

#135612 - 04/02/07 06:52 PM Re: How many multi-instrument players here?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Keyboards, guitar and bass.

#135613 - 04/02/07 07:40 PM Re: How many multi-instrument players here?
Diki Offline

LOL.... yes I know the oud. Just thought it looked funny.

But still no comment about whether any 'doubler' could use a nice Chord Sequencer....

#135614 - 04/02/07 08:03 PM Re: How many multi-instrument players here?
Diki Offline

And just in case ANYONE doesn't know how the old Roland chord sequencer worked, here's a quick breakdown.....

You play the intro to a tune and then, in the bar before the 'head' or verse you hit 'Record'. At the end of the head, or chorus (or anywhere, really!) you hit 'Play'.

Now the Chord Sequencer takes over playing the chords that you just played (not some pre-entered ones, so you can re-harmonize or adapt it if you want to) but you are still in control of the fills and variations (if you wish). At ANY time, you can over-ride the CS, put it in pause and play a bridge or vamp (or the vamp can be what you CS) and then return to the 'head' played by the CS.

So, easy, INTERACTIVE, and hands free (with a multi-pedal to trigger fills and variations, break/fills, etc.). Just about ideal for anyone who wanted to, say, pick up his guitar and jam along to a solo section, or blow some cool sax over the head of a jazz standard, or play l'oud to the whirling dervishes, or whatever your fancy makes you play.

I still cannot figure out why arrangers have samplers, and mp3 playback, and vocal harmonizers, but NOT this most useful of functions. It is what I mean when I say that arrangers are being loaded up with workstation 'features', at the cost of purely 'arranger' features. What proportion of arranger users use the built-in samplers much.....?

Probably a FAR smaller percentage than would use a CS so they could get back on their 'secondary' instruments....

Anyway, 'rant off'.... But the only way any of us are ever going to be able to use a chord sequencer is either buy an old Roland, or start talking to the reps, and manufacturers, the dealers and distributors. Don't let your talent be shackled by a marketing decision. Tell YOUR manufacturers "I want my Chord Sequencer'....... Pretty please!

#135615 - 04/03/07 09:10 AM Re: How many multi-instrument players here?
F161 Offline

Loc: UK
Learnt to play the organ at the tender age of 7 with help from my Dad. Moved onto professional piano lessons at age 11. Took up drums and percussion at high school and played these and keyboard/piano in the school band. I won the under 16's UK Yamaha Electone Festival in 1987 (playing a HS-8) - my only claim to fame (....if you can call it that!). I can also play guitar - but nowhere near as well as I would like.

These days I just play keyboards - mainly for personal pleasure and to entertain friends, family and guests.

I also write my own material (music and lyrics) and sing as well (although my forte in the singing department is mainly ballads, pop and rock).

#135616 - 04/03/07 10:31 AM Re: How many multi-instrument players here?
zuki Offline

Actually I play 100's of instruments and they all sound damn good.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online