SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#135491 - 12/11/04 01:02 PM Right side only
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Hi,

I recorded a song and imported it to my computer via Left and Right direct to my computer via line in. When I play it on my computer it sounds just fine (no track editing but thats fine for now) but only one side of my speakers plays and records. I tried everythign on my computer but nothing fixed it. Is this normal? How do i fix it? Its on an XP-60.

Thanks,

Phil

#135492 - 12/11/04 01:48 PM Re: Right side only
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Almost always a wiring problem.

If the file itself been recorded on one channel only then this points to an input problem. Look at the file using a decent audio editor to check.

Then double check that all line level connections to your soundcard are made using stereo connections, and that they are all plugged in correctly.

To verify playback - do mp3 files play back in stereo? and is it the same using headphones?

Have you checked all the volume settings (both playback and record)?

#135493 - 12/11/04 01:55 PM Re: Right side only
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
When I record one of the levels records, and the other one does nothing. I burned it to an MP3, and it only playedback on one side.

The recording is only on one track. Im using Cool Edit pro 2. How im wiring it is im taking the two direct 1/4 L and rights, and then combining it to one, from there it is plugged into my line in on my computer (blue one).

Thanks,

Phil

#135494 - 12/11/04 04:28 PM Re: Right side only
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I can almost guarantee you it's a wiring problem. So lets go down the list of connections.

Output from keyboard should consist of 2 male, 1/4-inch mono plugs that connect to a single, 1/8-inch, male, stereo plug. Naturally, this is not available in any store, therefore, you must use specific adapters.

In order to obtain the correct configuration you will have to purchase a headphone extension cable, which at one end of the cable there is a male, 1/8-inch, stereo (TSR) plug. At the other end is a female stereo jack. This will plug into an effects cable, which is available at most music stores. That cable consists of 2 1/4-inch, mono, male plugs at one end, and a 1/4-inch, stereo, male plug at the other end. The stereo plug is then plugged into the headphone extension cable. This should solve your problem.

If you purchased an adapter at Radio Shack, one that has a single, 1/4-inch male plug at one end and a pair of females at the other end, this is a splitter plug that parallels the single male and does provide the necessary connections for recording in stereo.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online