SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#135136 - 01/26/02 01:22 AM Call from radio station...
JimJamJammin Offline

Loc: Surrey, England
I got a strange call yesterday.
It seemed a radio station had seen my web-site (my web-design service that I had given up to concentrate on exams) and wanted a web-site! From the sound of it, they were quite a big station, and they said they wanted to invest atleast £10,000 in the site!

Unfortunately, it was slightly out of range, since they wanted 100s of pages (I don't have the time), streaming audio and some way to listen to their station online (I don't have that knowledge) and regular updates (again I don't have the time).
The call ended rather adruptly (and rudely may I add). He just said 'Ok, bye' really snapily and hung up before I got the chance to ask him how he found the site, since I haven't advertised it ANYWHERE.

Does anyone who how he may have found the site if I didn't submit it on any search engines?

P.S. I got an email a day before the call from a certain 'Eddie' (betweengigs@aol.com or something like that). I was wondering if it was just someone from this forum, or if it was related to the call later.

By the way, the site is www.jwebvision.co.uk
You'll see I've used my musical skills to make my own theme tune!

#135137 - 01/26/02 02:19 AM Re: Call from radio station...
Sander Offline

Loc: Hoogeveen, Drenthe, The Nether...
Jim,

This is quite off-topic, but here we go. You asked why people still can find your page if it isn't listed in any seach engine.

-The first option is that it is still indexed somewhere in a search engine, but that you don't know. This is a very common case.

-Secondly, you could be indexed on a linkscollection site about webdesigners. Also quite common.

-Third option: there is now a new option to search for domain names. It's located on http://www.klinktals.nl . There people can search for part of domain names, like webvision for instance, just a wild guess.

-Fourth option: It could be listed in some of your profiles that you have given out to companies.

So.. several options. But if you will get an order like this again, I might be able to help , I'm also into designing.

---End Off-topic---

#135138 - 01/26/02 08:19 AM Re: Call from radio station...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Eddie has nothing to do with the station. He lives in Florida and is a working musician.
DonM

#135139 - 01/28/02 09:03 AM Re: Call from radio station...
JimJamJammin Offline

Loc: Surrey, England
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I found out today it was all just a prank, since I got another call on Sunday night, with someone pretending to be an American (it wasn't a very good accent!)
I can't believe I fell for the first call. People can be so immature......

#135140 - 01/28/02 09:37 AM Re: Call from radio station...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jamie...
I am the Eddie that Emailed you re: your website. It really is quite impressive. As far the "prank" is concerned, you did the right thing... you didn't try to bite off more than you can chew.
Eddie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online