SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13484 - 04/21/07 09:26 PM Vintage Keys help needed!
tonyveronica Offline

Loc: Springfield, Ohio 45506
Can anyone help me? I have an E-mu Vintage Keys module. the first 254 presets--the RAM files, that is--have gone out and no longer work in any way. The screen for them displays only gibberish, no sounds. Over ten years ago, I wrote E-mu and the then-head of the technical department sent me a floppy with the downloads to fix the module. The problem is, I have no idea how to use this disk and neither does anyone else. I bought a midi-to-USB cable to carry out the operation and still, I can't figure out how to actually send the information to the module. A computer tech friend of mine told me once that the disk was in DOS format, but I don't know. I can't get DOS-prompt to do anything with it either. If anyone can help me, PLEASE e-mail me at englet0290@clarkstate.oh.cc.us.
Thanks!

#13485 - 04/22/07 06:16 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I'm guessing the files on the disk were sysex files that just need to be transmitted using any program that supports sending sysex. Do you have the files on your harddrive now or can you still copy them from the floppy? If you don't have them on your harddrive I'd recommend you copy them while you can. 10 years is old for a floppy disk and eventually the data will become corrupted.

#13486 - 04/30/07 08:47 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
tonyveronica Offline

Hi Nigel,
Thank you for replying! I transferred the files from floppy to my flash drive. Two of the files are simply called RCD and SD, and they are .exe execute files. Two others are .emu files named VINT, VINTOLD, and VINTNEW, whose application software is listed as 'unknown'. I haven't been able to get them to run on anything I have, but then I'm not familiar with sysex. I would appreciate any more advice you might have.
Thanks again
Tony

#13487 - 05/01/07 10:27 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Have you tried running the RCD and SD exe files to see what they do? Run them from a DOS Window so you can see what messages they print when you run them.

#13488 - 05/09/07 11:14 AM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
tonyveronica Offline

Hi Nigel,
I've tried to open them in DOS. All that happens is, a screen full of words opens for about one second, then closes again before I can even pick up what it's telling me. I did it about a dozen times and made out the words: "Switch and parameter for rcd.exe. Type in rcd? for more details." But of course, by the time I even think about typing something in, the screen has closed. The thing will do nothing.
Thanks again
Tony

#13489 - 05/09/07 11:03 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Tony how about you zip all those files up into a single zip file and email it to me at nigelsp@synthzone.com and I'll take a look at them and see if I can work out what they are. I can't guarantee anything but I will check them out to see if I can find out anything.

#13490 - 05/13/07 04:36 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Tony, thanks for sending those. I checked them and the 2 data files are definately standard sysex files. I have put them up here for other Vintage Keys owners at http://www.synthzone.com/midi/emu/vintagekeys

#13491 - 05/13/07 05:19 PM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Start by replacing the internal battery..

#13492 - 05/14/07 05:45 AM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
tonyveronica Offline

There's an internal battery???

Fran, please tell me more. By the way Nigel, I'm glad you posted the files, I hope they come in handy for other EMU users. Now if only i could figure out how to get them to work for me....lol
Thanks again
Tony

#13493 - 05/15/07 12:23 AM Re: Vintage Keys help needed!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Yep. all synths with patch memory have to have a internal battery to keep the memory intact when the unit is unplugged from the mains. Eventually that battery dies and is what causes the patches to all disappear or go bad. If you have lost the internal patches like you have you should open it up and replace the battery you find inside.

Those files you sent me are sysex files and can be transmitted to your Vintage Keys using any software with sysex transmit capability.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online