SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134890 - 01/13/05 09:54 AM The Cocktail Hour!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
This topic is about Cocktail Hours before wedding ceremonies. I have a few questions.

Do you as a performer sing or just play instrumentals during this time. And, do guests actually listen to the performer during this hour?

What type of songs do you play during the hour?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#134891 - 01/13/05 10:07 AM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I assume you mean the cocktail hour before the wedding "reception" ? ...
Depending on the wishes of the client, venue, crowd, etc it could be laid back bossas, light jazz, standards, OR it could be a "warmup" for the party, with more lively music ... Either way, vocals (even at a low volume) are a part of my repertoire ...
If you ARE referring to a cocktail hour before the "ceremony" I think it would be more subdued ...
t.
t.

#134892 - 01/13/05 10:35 AM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
So far, I've never been asked to play for a pre-ceremony "cocktail hour." Before the wedding service, sure...at which time I use only a piano-maybe some buried strings - and crank out the love songs the client has indicated they'd enjoy.

Usually, I save my vocals for after the
dinner is concluded. In my mind, anything prior to the "dancing" part of the evening, I'm background. Vocals, IMO, tend to push me more to the foreground than I think is appropriate. During the pre-dinner and dinner times, I'll do jazzy background stuff...with a handful of latin tunes tossed in.

After the dinner is over, at the reception, I'll introduce myself, do my opening remarks, etc, etc...and then treat it basically like a dance. Of course, I'll emcee the rest of the evening in terms of the various dances, etc.

Sometimes I've been asked to emcee the entire evening, which is fine...but I don't alter what I play and when I play unless I've got very, very specific instructions on how the client wants the night to go. Im my preliminary communications, I'll try & direct them toward the plan I think...

A) Best suits their wedding...

B) Will be the most successful based on my experiences...

Usually they listen, sometimes, not...

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 01-13-2005).]

#134893 - 01/13/05 01:10 PM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
One of the first jobs I played as a professional was a cocktail hour before the wedding reception. At that time I was hauling around a spinet organ and external leslie speaker. I got to the job, got all setup and noticed that I had NO music. So I played the next two hours from songs I could play without music. Many of those tunes were very inapproiate for the occasion. I played songs like "For the Good Times", "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone", "Please Release Me" and so forth.

NO ONE NOTICED, Nadda, zip, zilch. You are background music only. I used to play for an IHL hockey team also. Nobody really listens there either. Good Luck

Tom

Tom

#134894 - 01/13/05 01:35 PM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Many of those tunes were very inapproiate for the occasion, like "For the Good Times", "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone", "Please Release Me" Tom

I don't think that sad songs are inappropriate at a happy gathering. Many songs serve as a memory jog wheel to a certain era or situation, and just because the song is sad .... there is no reason to assume that it will make the listener sad.

"For the good times" is requested ALL THE TIME around here, and couples always dance close to it.....same as "Release me".
I really don't think the actual words translate (that literally) to the listener.

Many of my most requested songs are kinda sad if you take them at face value, but if you go deeper, the song may still touch you inside in a positive way.
Other eg:
"Since I fell for you"
"Since I don't have you"
"Make the world go away"
This list is endless!

#134895 - 01/13/05 01:35 PM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
For the most part...your just there...all background, so people can talk and mix with each other..

#134896 - 01/13/05 01:46 PM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
I agree with Tony:

Light bossas,Jazz and pops

Chico

#134897 - 01/14/05 04:37 AM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Yes..this is pre-wedding ceremony hour.
I was thinking along the same lines that the cocktail hour is purely background music just to create a feeling of festivity and not to draw too much attention to oneself.

It's interesting you bring up the inappropriate song issue. I actually think it might be quite comical to play some of those during this time and the attendees might get a kick out of it. I wouldn't play achy breaky heart.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#134898 - 01/14/05 10:41 AM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I think it might be quite comical to play some of those during this time and the attendees might get a kick out of it.

I bet you 50 cents that no one will even comment on the song choices, unless they are telling you how much they enjoy them. You'll be musical wallpaper for that whole hour. (take advantage of the paid rest!)

#134899 - 01/14/05 04:39 PM Re: The Cocktail Hour!!!
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Low volume CD....works fine, unless they request that you play, but like everyone has stated, why bother if no one notices you playing or the CD until you have everyone rise for the introduction of the bridal party.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online