SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#134566 - 08/31/04 10:46 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Though this may (or may not) pertain to Windows XP w/ service pack 2, here's what Symantec says about having BOTH "Windows XP Firewall" & "Norton Personal Firewall" or "Norton Internet Security" programs running at the SAME time:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sha...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

For now, I'm going to continue to let my 'Norton Personal Firewall' software solely act as my computer's firewall, and wait to read feedback reports from the computer experts, before switching to "Windows Service Pack 2" to handle my computer's firewall tasks. I'll be anxious to hear from the computer experts here about their recommendation regarding 'when' it's actually safe to install 'service pack 2' as well as deciding WHICH firewall & security software to use: Norton's or Microsoft's? - Scott

#134567 - 09/01/04 01:18 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
My understanding is that the one of the security holes plugged by XP SP2 is that previously the XP firewall was loaded after the XP communication layer, so there is a period of unprotected accessibility until the firewall is itself loaded. SP2 loads the firewall asap and so closes this hole.

At home I am connected to Broadband but do so as-and-when required; therefore I don't think I am susceptible to this possibility. Nevertheless I will probably load SP2 once my favourite computer magazine (UK PcPro) passes a favourable verdict!

#134568 - 09/01/04 05:27 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
Dnj Offline

I loaded service pk 2 on both my LT's no problems it runs fine ....do it asap!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-01-2004).]

#134569 - 09/01/04 06:00 AM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I loaded SP2 on my desktop and laptop. It has definitely improved my system performance (we get so many power cuts here in Fort Myers, that it must be corrupting some of the files - I finally bought a UPS yesterday!).

Both PC World and PC Magazine strongly recommend installing it - the security improvements are real!.

Do it, don't delay!

------------------
Graham

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online