SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134556 - 08/31/04 08:54 PM Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I realize this topic isn't directly related to music, but because many here are also running Windows XP Home edition (as I am), I think this issue both pertinent and important to many here.

Responding to my email request, Microsoft Corp mailed me (for free) the Windows XP 'Service Pack 2 installation CD, of which I received today in the mail.

"Service Pack 2", according to Microsoft, includes critically important new features which include not only include OS fixes: but a substantially improved Windows XP Firewall, a now built into Windows "Pop-up Blocker", as well as the ability to monitor your security status via Windows XP's new 'Windows Security Center' feature.

I read (on another sz thread here) by Mike P (Leilatara), that he (as well as others) don't recommend installing 'Service Pack 2', at least not yet, because of potential conflicts and/or bugs of such a new OS update. I definitely appreciate the advice given, but on the other hand, I'm also concerned about the known Windows OS security issues & holes of the the current version of Windows XP, so equally concerned over not updating right away as well.

I'm currently utilizing BOTH 'Norton Firewall' & 'Norton Systemworks 2004' to monitor and protect my computer. That being the case, are there any Windows XP security issues which "Service Pack 2" addresses not already covered by the above Norton programs?

Interested in hearing from other Windows XP users here about their view of installing "Service Pack 2" now. Do you recommend holding off, or going ahead and installing it. Are there any known issues (bugs?) with "Service Pack 2" with other programs?

I look forward to input on this subject.

Scott

#134557 - 08/31/04 09:20 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I installed it on the laptop last week. No problems, but it's a BIG download.
DonM

#134558 - 08/31/04 09:22 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I subscribe to various computer related newsgroups, and have recieved mixed reviews on the decision to install SP2 now, or later. The expert I trust the most, Fred Langa, recommends to wait a few weeks.I'll take his advise.

However, sooner or later we all must install SP2, simply because of security issues.

This is what I am doing.

I sent away for the SP2 CD, that takes about 4 weeks via snail mail. At that time, the SP2 issues should be mostly resolved.

Now you ask, "Where do I get the SP2 CD"?
here is the URL for Synth Zone Members only
http://snipurl.com/8a8s

Now remember it's for Synth Zone members only, and because you all are so helpful..it's free.

Seriously, SP2 is a killer download, about 250MB .It will take forever on a dial up. Besides it's good to have the CD for future needs. It's not often Microsoft mails free stuff. Take advatage of it.

SeeYa
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#134559 - 08/31/04 09:32 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
rhumba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
This is a pretty major update - it would be best to take the wait-and-see approach. I am testing out on 5 systems right now.

#134560 - 08/31/04 09:33 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
I subscribe to various computer related newsgroups, and have recieved mixed reviews on the decision to install SP2 now, or later. The expert I trust the most, Fred Langa, recommends to wait a few weeks.I'll take his advise.

However, sooner or later we all must install SP2, simply because of security issues.

This is what I am doing.

I sent away for the SP2 CD, that takes about 4 weeks via snail mail. At that time, the SP2 issues should be mostly resolved.

Now you ask, "Where do I get the SP2 CD"?
here is the URL for Synth Zone Members only
http://snipurl.com/8a8s

Now remember it's for Synth Zone members only, and because you all are so helpful..it's free.

Seriously, SP2 is a killer download, about 250MB .It will take forever on a dial up. Besides it's good to have the CD for future needs. It's not often Microsoft mails free stuff. Take advatage of it.

SeeYa
Larry

I requested to Microsoft to send me the CD on Friday at their download website and I received it today, 3 working days later in the snail mail on a CD.
Bebop

#134561 - 08/31/04 09:34 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used Mozilla Firefox browswer until I got the updates. It works just like IE, and has no security problems, I suppose because nobody is writing viruses for it. If you want to want on the upgrade, I highly recommend using Firefox in the interim.
DonM

#134562 - 08/31/04 09:36 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I used Mozilla Firefox browswer until I got the updates. It works just like IE, and has no security problems, I suppose because nobody is writing viruses for it. If you want to want on the upgrade, I highly recommend using Firefox in the interim.
DonM

Ditto.
Also, absolutely WAIT on SP2, possibly
another 6 months.

#134563 - 08/31/04 09:39 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Larry, I ordered my "Service Pack 2" CD from the SAME link you gave above, and, believe it or not, it arrived in the US Mail, TWO days later, and not the 4 weeks, as Microsoft had said. I suppose (to be on the safe side) I should just keep the CD and wait a couple of weeks before installing it.

Question: Once 'Service Pack 2' is installed, will "Norton Personal Firewall" be still needed to run as well?

Scott

#134564 - 08/31/04 09:54 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Scott,
I have heard...

SP2 has a much improved built in firewall, that is suppose to be a big improvement from the original XP Firewall.

I was told that when you update to SP2 you should run only one firewall. Either your Norton or the new built in XP firewall.

Having both running at the same time will cause a conflict. I'm not sure how good the new XP Firewall will be, so I would probably keep Norton and disable the XP firewall.

If the new XP firewall actually does the job, I probably would not pay for a service that is not needed.

So again, it is a "Wait and See" attitude on not only SP2, but also let's "wait and see" on SP2 XP Firewall's performance.

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#134565 - 08/31/04 10:32 PM Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2: Safe to install now or not?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I read where Microsoft took some engineers off of the Longhorn OS project, which will delay its introduction, to work on SP2 due to serious security issues in XP. SP2 was rushed a bit and they will most likely have some updates to it...especially since PC Magazine published this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639276,00.asp

In light of the recognized flaws with XP, I downloaded and installed SP2. I like the looks of the Security Center and it seems to be doing exactly what it is supposed to.

If it detects a potential threat, it will alert you. You will have the choice to block it, ok it for one use, or ignore the threat. This is especially helpful on sites you are familiar with and know to be safe.

So far, everything seems to be working just fine. But the PC Mag article is a bit disturbing.

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online